She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lessofkate View Post
    I'm having a hard time upping the carbs on just fruits and veggies. What do you gals eat to get your carbs up? I have NO PROBLEM with the fat and the protein, just the carbs.
    I have NOOO problem keeping my carbs up with fruit! Methinks I need to cut back a bit, in fact...I love fruit.

I also snack on nuts - brazil nuts, almonds, and cashews, mostly, and if I need to up my carbs and am not feeling like fruit, a sweet potato works well. I also eat Greek yogurt and drink whole milk, on occasion. Do you do dairy?
    Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

• I don't always get to 80 either - but thats the goal. My average is about 60-65. Nuts, fruit, sweet potatoes, carrots, and dark chocolate! You can always go for the dark chocolate at the end of the day if you need some more carbs! Also - acorn squash is pretty high in carbs - and yes.......... I will add about 2 TB of brown sugar to my squash - so theres more carbs. Thats a part of the 80-20 Mark talks about.

Its impossible to hit the numbers right on ........... but the goal is to get close enough to feel you have a pretty good balance. After the 2 week challenge we can all take a look and decide if this is going to be the right way to move forward if something should be tweaked a bit. I know the way I was eating for the first 4 months wasn't doing anything for the weight loss........ I was shooting for 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs...... and only 1000 calories. That translates to 125 grams protein, 33 grams fat and 50 grams carbs. I couldn't do it. I was consistantly over on fats, and way under on the protein. And not losing. I got those numbers from various posts on MDA, even Mark said it was good place to start. When I tried the 80 x 3 thing I lost 6 pounds in the first 9 days. So, there has to be something to it. Spending 2 weeks here will tell me if is going to be what I stay at for the next couple months.

I gave up my goal of being at 140 by my birthday.......... that was a killer. But realistically - it just isn't gonna happen. I still have 49 pounds to go. My birthday is only 15 weeks away. I'd have to lose 3 pounds a week to make it close - and I've never been able to do that. I'm just going to have to take it as it comes. Maybe strapping on the leaf blower and do some yard work will help -- so, I'm out the door! Have a great day gals!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by Meegads View Post
        I have NOOO problem keeping my carbs up with fruit! Methinks I need to cut back a bit, in fact...I love fruit.

I also snack on nuts - brazil nuts, almonds, and cashews, mostly, and if I need to up my carbs and am not feeling like fruit, a sweet potato works well. I also eat Greek yogurt and drink whole milk, on occasion. Do you do dairy?
        I seem to be sensitive to milk products. I make my own greek yogurt, which I LOVE, but I seem to gain on it ~ or at least am not able to lose while on it. I'm not eating cheese right now, but hope to add it later as well as the yogurt. I do eat butter and HWC.

I'm bummed because I'm up 7.5 pounds from where I was when I finished my last round of hcg and I'm just trying to find a safe zone in which I can eat to keep control of the inevitable ups that come with life...

Comment

• Hey Girls! I'm new around here--been lurking for quite some time now (a couple months at least) and just recently got in on some conversations. I am so glad there is a girls-only thread!

A little about me, I just turned 50, I'm 5'6" and currently 140. A couple years ago, I lost about 25lbs or so and got down to 125 and I really liked it, but I was doing a couple things to get there--walking/running a lot and then my fiance broke up with me, which meant I had to buy my own house and move myself and my dogs to a new home, so needless to say, there was a lot of stress and the weight came off easily. I met a new guy right around the time I moved into my new house and when I was in that thinner 125lb stage. I have gained back about 15 lbs and do not like it. He had a belly when I first met him, but he's been working out and doing the sprinting thing and has lost some weight. I tried P90X for a bit and some other weight lifting, but I haven't been able to shake the weight. I do try and walk about 45 minutes every day, workout one day a week and do the sprinting thing one day a week too and I can't seem to do much more than that because I have been getting fairly sore. Anyway, we are engaged, getting married in October and now of course I have put this extra pressure on myself to be thinner for my wedding. My fiance says I need to just stop thinking and obscessing about it and I know he's probably right!

Last year with all my reading, I found MDA and all the other paleo gurus and learned a ton. It pretty much made a lot of sense. I've always been health oriented, but I have horrible sugar addictions (in addition to loving wine and beer......). I have also had some gastrointestinal issues with really bad gas and bloating--especially when I tried going through a raw vegan stage a couple years back. It was always really embarrassing being a girl with such horrible gas!! Anyway, food combining helped a little with that, but amazingly, it seemed the more veggies and fruit I ate, the worse it was! So, with all my research, I found info on GAPS and the carb specific diet and FODMAPS and all that and so when I stopped eating grains, legumes and fruit, the gas, gurgling and bloating essentially went away. I still have issues with some vegetables and it depends on how much I eat (pretty typical with FODMAPS issues). I seem to be okay with bananas in my protein smoothie. But when I hear of people eating fruit with yogurt, I cringe because I know what happens if I try that! I just have to be really careful of how much fruit I eat and when and I certainly can't eat fruit as dessert.

Anyway I've enjoyed this thread and picked up some tidbits. I think in 2010 when I lost the weight, I do remember that I had given up drinking coffee, so that is something to think about. I do like tea, but I really like honey in my tea and it got to the point where I was consuming a whole 1lb jar of honey in a week, so that had to stop. Like someone else said, tea of any kind just isn't quite as enjoyable without honey.

I've been playing around with supplements--I did add in some kelp after I read through the whole iodine thread and am considering adding in some iodine, but all the supplements that go with it are daunting. It is really really hard to try and figure out what works--especially if something in the past worked, but isn't working now! I like the idea of 80 x 3 and may try that. I also do like how I feel if, like sbhikes said in her journal, I eat the BAB with a half lb of meat and 3 eggs. On the other hand, I feel a little weird about eating meat with every meal, so I have been drinking a protein shake that uses sprouted protein with some bananas and a little bit of coconut milk. I know many people frown upon drinking meals, but I really like that smoothie and when I drink it, I feel nothing but satisfied with no gastointestinal distress. And I, too, like someone else said, was eating bacon and eggs for breakfast and I think that was keeping the weight on too. I think it was just too much fat. When I did the macros, there really wasn't much protein in it and a ton of fat, so I decided to quit eating all the bacon. I'm now using either grass-fed beef or natural chicken sausage for my breakfast meat. I also was doing the bullet-proof coffee thing and again, I think with doing that, I was just adding way too much unnecessary fat, so I stopped. The confusion has almost paralyzed me quite honestly and I was glad to read this thread because I really related to all the frustration many of the women are having. I know I only have like 15lbs to lose, but still, when you think you're doing everything right and nothing is changing, it does get discouraging.

I would like to hear more of what some of you guys are eating in a day if you are trying to do the 80 x 3 thing, just to get a better idea of what to eat. I don't eat dairy for the most part and I don't eat too many nuts either. In trying to keep with the leptin RX model, I have tried to stop snacking too. So, I will be checking on this thread a lot--I may join your 80 x 3 challenge even though I'm a little late to the party!
          Last edited by Pony500; 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lessofkate View Post
            I seem to be sensitive to milk products. I make my own greek yogurt, which I LOVE, but I seem to gain on it ~ or at least am not able to lose while on it. I'm not eating cheese right now, but hope to add it later as well as the yogurt. I do eat butter and HWC.

I'm bummed because I'm up 7.5 pounds from where I was when I finished my last round of hcg and I'm just trying to find a safe zone in which I can eat to keep control of the inevitable ups that come with life...
            Lessofkate: How long ago did you do the HCG? If I understand the HCG diet it is extreme calorie restriction. Someone told me 500 calories a day. EEESH! thats not healthy. I think you're body is going to get really messed up doing that. I did Medifast last year and lost 50 pounds - but it was 800 calories a day. I went back to eating normal food, but kind of being careful - I certainly didn't pig out - and I gained it all back really quickly. You might want to try to keep your calories around 1000 since thats what your body is more closely used to.......... ???? I don't know - just a thought. What a bummer you're gaining though............ I know how terribly frustrating that can be! Let us know what you're trying and maybe someone can offer some advice that will help. Are you moving, exercising, walking?
            Last edited by tomi; 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM.
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• hi girls, my name is heidi. i am 41, 5'8 and weigh 130ish. i have been primal for just over a year. i always felt bloated eating grains, i used to think i was lactose intolerant but later realized it was the grain thank GOD! i thrive on organic heavy cream! this way of eating really makes sense to me. i used to be a distance runner, i've ran a few marathons, etc. now i run a few times a week but i mainly walk (about an hour a day) and lift heavy a few days a week.

Comment

• I did 4 rounds of hcg (+/- 43 days each of the 500 calorie phase per round) from February, 2011 to the first of March, 2012. The first phase of hcg (which is usually only done once) is cleansing; second phase is the restricted calories and food choices while using hcg (which puts all excess fat stores in play for consumption so even though I was only eating 500 cals, my body was using about 2200 with the deficit being supplied by my fat stores); third phase is very high fat & protein and less than 50g carbs which only come from veggies and selected fruits (there's absolutely no fat allowed in phase 2); and phase four is a maintenance phase where more carbs are added in slowly to check for sensitivities. I do great through phase 3 because I stay really restrictive but as soon as I start adding carbs, I start gaining and cannot seem to find a way of eating that will allow me to recover from sensitivity gains.

I found hcg to be a great tool and I lost 60 net pounds over the year. Now I am in search of a way to eat for life. Maybe this is not a good time for me to add in carbs in such a high amount. I backed WAY off today and will tomorrow as well to see if I see any down take. If I have to choose, I'm choosing fats all the way! Today my nutrients were: 153g fat / 22g carbs / 92g protein for a total of 1711 calories, and I've felt great all day. I am also eating the leptin timing (eating meals only with no snacking and no eating or drinking any calories after 7:00).

As for moving, I do the slow moving thing (usually digging weeds in my garden) and have incorporated squats daily. Don't laugh, but every time I use the restroom I do 10 squats before I leave the room. I know, I know, sounds weird but I'm doing about 100 squats a day which is about 100 more than I've been doing. Okay, you can quit laughing now... : 0

Meegads ~ LOVE your avitar picture. It's hard to beat Bonanza for beautiful.
                Last edited by lessofkate; 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Oh dear my poor mother who's around 70 has emailed me. She's all excited about this diet because she's never hungry. I wouldn't be either eating almond flour and coconut milk pancakes with butter, jam and nuts, and ice cream with pineapple and chocolate sauce. I'd be in a sugar coma. I'm afraid all my emails about eating meat and vegetables kinda got lost somehow. Not sure what I should say.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Oh dear my poor mother who's around 70 has emailed me. She's all excited about this diet because she's never hungry. I wouldn't be either eating almond flour and coconut milk pancakes with butter, jam and nuts, and ice cream with pineapple and chocolate sauce. I'd be in a sugar coma. I'm afraid all my emails about eating meat and vegetables kinda got lost somehow. Not sure what I should say.
                    At her age she needs some padding--reduces the chance of breaking a hip if she falls. So unless she is very overweight I would figure that she has improved her diet and leave it at that.

Comment

• She's already pretty padded. She wants to lose some weight like me. She's very healthy and doesn't seem 70 to me at all.

Comment

• Well I did good yesterday at the wedding reception. I fasted all day, so the meal didn't put me over. No alcohol for me as I volunteered to be the DD. I survived the potential pitfall and am still on track! I'm going to try and get some slow moving in today. Danced some cumbias last night so that was my move fast time!
                        Female 55
                        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          She's already pretty padded. She wants to lose some weight like me. She's very healthy and doesn't seem 70 to me at all.
                          She probably looks younger because she is padded. Has she dropped wheat/bread and processed oils? If yes, then I'd leave it for a while. She might lose a bit once her system adjusts and also once the novelty of the new food has worn off. At least she's moving in the right direction.
                          Last edited by jo; 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM.
                          My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

• Yes it's probably better so far. I sent her my shopping list and told her that's the food that gave me my weight loss.

Comment

• My Mom (77 years old) is coming out for a visit in a couple of months. She asked: "So are you going to feed me Paleo so I can go back home all skinny?" Damn straight, Mama! You won't even know what hit you. (Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!) So, I'm hoping to make her my first convert.

Comment

• BratKat,

My mom is 69...we ate 80% Primal during her one month visit and she went home 10 lbs. lighter and her own copies of Primal Blueprint and cookbook were waiting for her when she got home. She has been a yo-yo Weight Watchers dieter for my entire life and is on a handful of heart meds. I'm so excited that she was open to learning something new and her cardiologist is letter her experiment with this new way of eating. Yay! I hope your mom has the same great experience...what a great thing to pass on wisdom to an older generation. Just think of the impact her change could have on her community of friends!
                                5'10" HW 264 (9/15/2011) PSW 238 (4/9/2012) CW 231 GW 165

Comment

Working...
                                X