She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
    I'm not sure of my exact body fat percentage (5'8 150 lbs, athletic build) and I know I'm not pregnant.

I saw a doctor about 2 months ago and expressed I didn't have a period for a while and she didn't seem overly concerned... she just checked if I was pregnant or not and then left it at that.

I'm just starting to get concerned now that it has been even longer..... I know being too skinny can cause it but I don't think this is my issue....
    I was going to ask a similar question. I just went like 2 months between periods for seemingly no reason at all. That's never happened to me before. I was really getting paranoid that I was pregnant, which wouldn't be cool since I have an IUD (means high risk of eptopic pregnancy, death, you know, minor stuff like that). I am definitely not so thin that it would cause a missed period, I'm still about 40 pounds overweight on the BMI charts. So it was very weird.

Comment

• Consider that maybe if you lost a lot of weight that your body is thinking "oh my god where did all my precious fat go?" and so it's thinking it's starving. Being in a state of starvation says "hey, this is not a good time to reproduce." Even though maybe you aren't emaciated and starving, your body has lost so much of what it had before, with the corresponding hormonal changes that come from shrunken fat cells, that it thinks it needs to slow everything down.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        Consider that maybe if you lost a lot of weight that your body is thinking "oh my god where did all my precious fat go?" and so it's thinking it's starving. Being in a state of starvation says "hey, this is not a good time to reproduce." Even though maybe you aren't emaciated and starving, your body has lost so much of what it had before, with the corresponding hormonal changes that come from shrunken fat cells, that it thinks it needs to slow everything down.
        If I had actually lost any weight, that would be awesome. In my case though, weight loss definitely has nothing to do with it becauses I haven't lost a pound doing this nonsense for 3 months. I'm obviously not perfect about it, but yeah, it sucks.

Sad as it is to say, I'll probably go back to CW since at least I lost weight that way. I know health is important, but what good is physical health if you are mentally miserable because you're fat?

Comment

• I'll probably go back to CW since at least I lost weight that way. I know health is important, but what good is physical health if you are mentally miserable because you're fat?
          It's discouraging to not lose weight. I think that there are 3 different types of bodies out there- ones that need low carb to lose, one that need low fat to lose and ones that need a balance to lose. I think you can still lose weight eating primal foods if you find the mix that works for you. To me, so much of CW is about making up for deprivation through chemistry....Have you tried to say, eat low fat using primal foods? I guess that would look like a lot of sweet potatoes, more fruits and veggies, and leaner proteins like fish and chicken breast vs. going back to CW diet of low fat yogurt with aspartame spooned over oatmeal....

I think some of the "more fat, more bacon, more butter, cut carbs" crowd are kidding themselves about overall health anyway.

I think the most important message about Primal is the message about non-toxic, healthy whole foods. How we manipulate that range of foods is pretty individual in terms of results.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
            It's discouraging to not lose weight. I think that there are 3 different types of bodies out there- ones that need low carb to lose, one that need low fat to lose and ones that need a balance to lose. I think you can still lose weight eating primal foods if you find the mix that works for you. To me, so much of CW is about making up for deprivation through chemistry....Have you tried to say, eat low fat using primal foods? I guess that would look like a lot of sweet potatoes, more fruits and veggies, and leaner proteins like fish and chicken breast vs. going back to CW diet of low fat yogurt with aspartame spooned over oatmeal....

I think some of the "more fat, more bacon, more butter, cut carbs" crowd are kidding themselves about overall health anyway.

I think the most important message about Primal is the message about non-toxic, healthy whole foods. How we manipulate that range of foods is pretty individual in terms of results.
            I have just had such a hard time with some aspects. I miss pizza so much that I literally dream about it at night. It is crazy. Other things don't bother me as much as I thought. For example, I used to eat Italian bread dipped in olive oil with parmesian cheese all the time. Sometimes that would be my entire meal. I miss that a little, but not really all that much.

I just don't know why I have so much trouble with the diet. It seems to me that diet is the key to losing weight for me, but maybe exercise was a bigger factor than I ever thought.

I agree that I need to avoid toxic food, and I really try to. But, I miss my CW diet where I could still have 3 cosmos on a Saturday night and I was losing weight anyway. Now when I drink alcohol I feel so guilty about it. I feel bad whenever I go off the plan at all, and maybe that's really what my stumbling block is, I don't know. I definitely miss the convenience of my CW diet a TON. I used to go out to eat for about 80% of my meals. Now, instead of getting breakfast from Dunkin Donuts (I was always eating those gross egg white flat bread things), I just don't have breakfast. Instead of getting soup and bread for lunch I go to the salad bar and use oil and vinegar that I keep in my desk for dressing. I don't think those are bad changes, but where is my weight loss?

Comment

• I've read a post from Mark saying that some people need a little more carbs to lose weight. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in that catagory also. I don't know - its so darn hard to get it figured out! I think as women its all experimentation until we find just the right formula. Please don't go back to eating a SAD - eeesh! I totally agree with the idea of cutting fats - although it sounds like you are already doing that very well. Keep trying until you get it right - it will work - just at CW wisdom works - but at least this way you'll be all the healthier for it! Just change one small thing at a time and stay with it for a couple weeks. If there is no change in your weight, then, go change that one back and tweek something else. Trial and error........

I'm struggling on the scales also - but I know my problem comes from the small "cheats". I'm cutting all alcohol and that should make a big difference - I hope.

Please stay with us and let us help and support you - eating clean is the best way to go for your over health. Just don't listen to what some guy tells you cuz I swear men can lose weight just by skipping one bite from each meal!
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by Aliophile View Post
                First of all, congratulations on overcoming your fibromyalgia. I hope you're celebrating that victory! Now on to your other concerns...

You absolutely MUST stop the bad fats NOW. Go directly to your fridge and cabinets, and toss anything that contains corn or
                canola or vegetable oil - so mayos, dressings, say goodbye. Start a new habit of squeezing fresh lemon juice on your steamed
                veggies (really delicious!) and here's a great vinaigrette recipe I use on my salads (I also use it as a mayo replacement on things like my lettuce wrap BLTs)

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
                3/4 cuo EVOO
                1/2tsp finely ground celtic salt
                1/4 tsp fresh ground blk pepper
                1 tsp fresh lemon juice (maybe more to taste - you wnt to brighten up the overall flavor)
                1tsp honey (just enough to turn the sour into tangy)

Recycle one of those salad dressing bottles and add all your ingredients then give it a good, emulsifying shake, and enjoy!

Also, if you havent't been doing the sprinting and lifting heavy things part of being primal, begin to do them once per week. As much as primal is about diet, it's about moving your body for heart health.

You've already come so far - don't let this visit to the doctor spoil your feeling of accomplishment! You've got so much to be proud of! And now that you're no longer dealing with the pain of the fibromyalgia you can take it up a notch.

I'll be your sprint buddy if you like : )
                thanks for the encouragement and the recipe - I've been trying to find a good one for a couple months! I found a yogurt based dressing at the store last week, but it still has a very small amount of soybean oil in it. I haven't tried it yet.

I haven't done the sprinting......... except on my bicycle - and I think thats about as close to sprinting as I will get. Mark says that counts so I'm gonna use it! I was lifting (bowflex) but I haven't done it in a while. Only because my son also uses the machine and I get so tired of having to change the resistance everytime I go to use it. But, I will make a point of starting again. Also - when I was lifting I sure could feel the difference in the tone of my arms!

As for bad fats -- I haven't thrown out cuz I have a husband who isn't willing to go 100% primal with me. He doesn't understand the whole thing, and isn't really interested in learning. But, I can avoid it even though its in the house. I don't really like mayo anymore cuz it makes me feels nauseous and bloated, so thats an easy to avoid. With your suggestions for the dressing I should be able to avoid the store bought ones.

I'm not sure about a salad for breakfast. But I will cut back on the bacon. I won't have it more than twice a week now. I could do a veggie omlette, or eggs with smoked salmon. (my hubby smokes the best salmon!!) I think I have been eating too much fat with the added dressings, the dark chocolate treats a few times a week, and putting butter on my sweet potato when its really not necessary.

I'm hoping to see some changes in the next few weeks on the scale. If not - I'll be tweeking something else.

I know its tough Ladies - but we can do this! We'll all be healthy and slim!
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• LADIES! What do you all think about Marks post today concerning IFing???? If you read through the comments 99% are from men and most have positive comments --- Also -- did you notice that the studies Mark is quoting are nearly ALL done on MEN! GRRRR! I'm so frustrated with have so little information for women on this site!

Have any of you tried IFing and what results have you had? How many hours of not eating does it take to make a true fast? I've read Marks posts on the subject - but it all seems sorta muddled and grey.

Personally I usually don't eat between 8 pm and 10 am. I'll have breakfast and then not eat again until maybe 4 pm, and then its just a small amount of meat or a carrot stick to hold me over until the evening meal, which is alway meat and veggies. If this IFing - it isn't working for me.

And I'd like to know how that Scotish dude went months without eating any food! He must have had some vitamin/mineral rich adipose tissue to live off of for all that time! Course - he did take supplements. Maybe I should just live off my vitamins for a couple weeks and see what happens! Kidding......... but seriously!
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• I am currently sooooo estrogen dominant- boobs are swelled up like balloons. Looking forward to my meat tonight.

Comment

• I am doing IF'ing on and off. I went as long as 22 hours, and even 35 hours once. But I agree with the Lean Gains, 14 hours seems to be a very natural interval for a woman.

I find that IF'ing is way harder on the days when I get up early (I have secondary insomnia) and when I have TOM. The two almost always go hand in hand though Basically, after a while I decided that if fasting irritates or impacts my work, i would go and eat breakfast, no matter how many hours elapsed. For me getting clean off sugars really improved my ability to fast and not snack between meals. On the other hand, on bad days fasting triggers binges in me. So... I am careful with it, going with how I feel and not setting myself a specific hours goal any longer.

As for benefits, i have not seen impacts on body recomposition, but it is often very effective for calorie control - but, again, only after I got sugar-clean and the nature of my hunger changed. Without IF I would be at 1500-1800 cals, with IF I can easily be 900-1200 range and not suffering any ill consequences.
                      Last edited by Leida; 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• 9 months later IF has stripped some fat off my waist- seems to work better with the stricter primal and some exercise. I've eaten some wheat and dairy the last 6 weeks and nooooooo IF does not nuke out.

Comment

• I don't know if this has any correlation to my recent weight loss...but I started taking a prescription anti-inflammatory about a week and a half ago. Right after I started taking that I lost 7-8 lbs in a few days (at the end of the 30 day challenge...).

And after reading the article about inflammation I need to figure out a different solution!
                          Last edited by PrimalAshley; 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• I have found IF to be beneficial. Mostly I think it helped me regain a healthier relationship to food. I do better if the fast is relatively short, less than 24 hours.

I find that a 23 hour fast is pretty difficult and that I get very cold when I do it. Shorter is much easier. If I'm not eating a lot of food, I can't fast very well at all. It's like the more fasting I do the less I can do.

I've been trying to do the fast-5 thing this week. It's not working out very well. I couldn't make it today. I broke my fast at 9:45am. I was shooting for 2pm. I was just too hungry.

I am hoping for better luck on the fast-5 soon. If I can't do it, I will give it up. I think the duration of the fast is too long and it's giving me an unhealthy relationship to food because I'm hungry all day long. When I eat I'm so hungry I inhale my food, then I'm sorry it's all gone and really really want some more. It's like all the feeling of being cured of my disordered eating has left me attempting fast-5.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                              According to Dr. Bryan P. Walsh, elevated cortisol raises blood sugar and insulin levels. And elevated insulin levels increase (among other things) testosterone in women and estrogen in men. I just heard him on the Underground Wellness podcast from back in 2010 when I was looking for something else and found it interesting. I honestly don't know about his credibility, just that it was pretty interesting.

Precision Nutrition Coaching | Research Review: Measuring Your Blood Sugar – Are You Too Sweet?
                              Thanks a ton, I will check it out!

Long story short, I've gone through a horrifying amount of abuse and super-high-stress since childhood, my hormones are all completely fucked up, and I have medically-verified high testosterone (along with all the special gifts that brings). I've been trying to figure out why everything with my body is the way it is. This cortisol-testosterone link is likely a significant piece of the puzzle, so thanks!

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

• God, I am so glad I found this thread. I feel like I just hit a brick wall of frustration today. I've been primal for four years, and the past two have been really doggone strict about it. The only "cheats" I ever allow myself are red wine, dark chocolate, and fancy cheese, and these aren't frequent. I track my food on Fitday--not every day, but about three times a week--and I consistently land between 1400 and 1600 calories, with (on average) 50g carbs, 75-ish grams fat, and 100-ish grams protein. I'm very active; I do 2 2-mile hilly walks with my dog per day, I lift heavy every other day, and on the days I'm not lifting I do some sort of interval training, whether it be gymnastics drills, sandbag conditioning, Bodyrock workouts, or what have you. Point is, I get plenty of exercise (the right kind of exercise), plenty of sleep (8-10 hours a night), my life is pretty darn low-stress (I work from home, I teach and do a lot of yoga, I'm happy, I have an adorable niece who makes me laugh, I have friends and family). I have fun, I play. I do all the things in the Primal Blueprint pretty much to the letter, is what I'm saying.

Yet my weight/measurements WILL. NOT. BUDGE. I've hovered between 155 and 165 for the past four years, at a consistent 30% body fat. Here are the different "techniques" within the Primal oeuvre that I've tried:

1. VLC: This, combined with HIIT Bodyrock workouts every single day (sometimes twice a day), left me looking leaner, but the scale didn't budge, and I was dead tired all the time. Unsustainable.
                                2. Strict PBF: Not enough exercise. I gained.
                                3. IF: No difference in scale, measurements, or looks. I actually like IFing and do it pretty consistently, but it doesn't seem to do much for me.
                                4. Leangains: I had so much hope for this. I started Leangains-style IF-ing combined with serious weightlifting and carb refeeding two months ago. Immediately gained weight, both by the scale (went up to 172) and by the way my clothes fit. Stopped with the 200g carb refeed days and now just add a sweet potato to my post-workout meal on lifting days. Stopped gaining, but it's been a month of heavy lifting and the scale has not budged. I'm now at 169lb, but still at 30% BF and my clothes fit the same, so clearly I've just gained muscle (which I don't mind at all--I love being strong--I just wish I also weren't chubby!).

Comparing "progress" photos (that's what the folder on my hard drive is called--wishful thinking, haha) from two years ago and now, I can tell that all weight I've gained has gone directly to my midsection. I've always had a really flabby tummy, chest, and back, and it just bums me out so much. My arms/legs don't bother me a bit; they look properly lean and muscular. But the flabby midsection just throws everything off and I look so dang chubby.

I really and truly believe in the Primal lifestyle because it's improved every other aspect of my life besides my weight SO much. I'm never going back to CW, or eating grains/sugar/PUFA, ever again. My skin and hair are great, and I just look so vibrant and healthy compared to my peers--always a rosy glow and I'm more energetic and get sick less. Plus, my athletic ability has gond through the roof. So, I'm not saying PB has had no effect on my life. It's had a HUGE effect. But the most important aspect--the reason I got into it in the first place--hasn't budged.

Part of my frustration also comes down to pure vanity. I teach yoga and am constantly surrounded by willowy vegans who wrinkle their nose at meat or the very notion of touching a barbell. I feel like all I'm doing is proving their wrong-headedness right, because I'm the only one who's got a BF% above like 15%. I KNOW I'm healthier, because I get sick way less, my skin tone is better, and I can squat and deadlift and sprint all of them into oblivion. But it doesn't LOOK that way and nothing I seem to try makes me look the way I think someone with my diet and exercise habits SHOULD look. And meanwhile I'm the fat girl in the crowd. It's so discouraging.

I'm really just venting at this point. I was really glad to find this thread because I was about to post a "SERIOUSLY, WHY CAN'T I LOSE FAT" rant on the nutrition forums, and then I came here and it's like I was reading my own thoughts. So, THANK you guys so much for this thread. It's so encouraging that I'm not the only one who can't make it happen with PB--those success stories, while I love to read them, totally f*#& with my head!!

Here are some pics from today to illustrate this whole long rant:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...ONT3-15-12.jpg
                                http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...IDE3-15-12.jpg
                                http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...ACK3-15-12.jpg

Has anyone, ANYONE, had any luck slimming down their midsection? I am just at my wit's end. I'm going to do alternate day fasting for the next month and increase my sprints to 2x/week to see if it helps any.

Just feeling really glum.

Comment

Working...
                                X