No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi PM, it must be very frustrating to have to listen to all that nonsense. Cholesterol appears to be immaterial unless you have low levels and you know it . Why worry about it ,surely there is no cholesterol police in Canada who can make you go on a low fat grainy diet (yak ) . this the guy who first opned my eyes. I just dont worry about it know.

Cholesterol and Health | Truth about cholesterol

Comment

• Hey! New girl here! Started primal about 3 weeks ago. I'm not 100% but I try to make the best choices I can. I never thought I would be as sensitive to SAD food after I started this. I'm not complaining. Most of my cravings for bread and sweets is gone and feel like a new person.
      "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

Comment

• Originally posted by primal me View Post
        I recently had blood work done and the doctor was concerned that my cholesterol is elevated. She asked me to meet with a diet educator to talk about ways to lower my cholesterol through diet. I met with the RN and she showed me the Canada Food Guide with lots of emphasis on "healthy whole grains".

It was a disappointing and frustrating meeting as the discussion was very one-sided. With no baseline to mark a trend they decided that paleo must be causing my cholesterol to go up even though I am losing weight from my belly. I managed to talk them into allowing me 3 months on the diet with no modifications before we do another blood test to get a trend line. If it's coming down then paleo is helping to bring it down and I will make no changes. If it is going up I may consider letting some foods go like *sob* bacon. We will do another test in 6 months as well. I have committed to eating more leafy greens and oily fish like salmon to raise my HDL cholesterol but at this time those are the only changes I am willing to make.

She also sent me for a test for celiac, I think she figures if it comes back negative she will have an argument for me to put grains back in my diet but I don't think she realizes that I am not willing to go back to a way of eating that made me fat and unwell in the first place. I am incredibly frustrated by the closemindedness of our health professionals but I am not particularly surprised by it either and that saddens me.

Has anyone else had their cholesterol go down while following paleo without taking out the usual suspects, (bacon, eggs and all natural fats) and if so approximately how long did it take? I have been eating paleo since mid-June and we have no idea what my cholesterol was like before I started. The last blood work I did was for mortgage insurance about six years ago and there was nothing unusual in the lipids at that time. My belief is that my diet from that time to this year caused my cholesterol to go up and that paleo is bringing it down but without a trend line I have no idea if that is true or not.
        I am new here and also from Canada, Vancouver. The reason I started this diet was because the doctor read me the riot act when he saw my cholesterol/tryglicerides. He said no more sugars/breads. So I guess they are all at a different level of education on this. My husband also saw a drop- in doctor after a stomach episode after starting Paleo. What surprised us both was that she said she was also paleo and didn't believe that humans were meant to eat wheat and grains. LOL I don't know what my cholesterol will be now, will get it checked after 6 months. But I do know none of the doctors that I am likely to see will advocate the SAD diet. In less than 3 months I have just reached my goal weight and have lost 26lbs. feel much much better. My only concern is that I seem to react so quickly and severely to any added bad stuff to my diet. including eggs and dairy.
        Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
        Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
        Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

• Focus more on your triglycerides because there is some correlation between low trigs and better overall health.

Don't worry about total cholesterol. A low number does not make you more healthy, and is in fact correlated with a HIGHER risk of death (I know, correlation =/= causation) when it comes to women.
          Durp.

Comment

• good on you Silvergirl 26lbs in less than three months
            well done and welcome
            link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

• we need cholesterol. our bodies make it and we would die without it. fatty foods do not translate to elevated blood lipids.

http://www.spacedoc.com/saturated_fa..._heart_disease

Ancel Keys Was Wrong about Heart Disease and Cholesterol | Health Impact News

after 2 years of no grains, but not really primal, i had a cholesterol test last year, as part of an overall work-up. i eat plenty of fatty foods, red meat and dairy. with a non-fasted test, my overall number was 210, but my trigs were 60 and my ratio well below any kind of warning bell numbers.

that being said, i don't believe the hype that high cholesterol is a problem and more evidence is showing that higher numbers are safer for women as we age.

unless i had a genetic disorder that caused issues, i would NEVER take drugs for my cholesterol.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• After 8 months on primal eating my triglycerides dropped to normal levels. Prior to changing my diet I had been on cholesterol meds for 20 years. This WOE works. Stay with it.
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion
                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                  Focus more on your triglycerides because there is some correlation between low trigs and better overall health.

Don't worry about total cholesterol. A low number does not make you more healthy, and is in fact correlated with a HIGHER risk of death (I know, correlation =/= causation) when it comes to women.
                  Yes, even my doctor said that. that was the figure that concerned him most.
                  Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                  Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacmac View Post
                    good on you Silvergirl 26lbs in less than three months
                    well done and welcome
                    Thank you very much jacmac I am really pleased. Really all my cravings disappeared on this lifestyle. So it has been pretty easy for me.

Comment

• Wow you're really doing well Silvergirl! Well done!
                      A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

• Originally posted by meeme View Post
                        Wow you're really doing well Silvergirl! Well done!
                        Thank you Meeme

Comment

• Thank you for those words of encouragement! Luckily there are no cholesterol police here in Canada and even the nurse said she can't force me to eat something I won't eat. I am an adult and the choices I am making now are much better for me than the ones I made in the past. I am hoping to see a downward trend at the next test (take that CW doctor!) but even if it seems to be going up I am totally committed to this way of life for myself and my family. I am losing weight from my belly and that is my focus right now. Smaller jeans are a coming!
                          I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
                          HT: 5'7"
                          SW: 223 June 2012
                          CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
                          TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Comment

• Originally posted by primal me View Post
                            Thank you for those words of encouragement! Luckily there are no cholesterol police here in Canada and even the nurse said she can't force me to eat something I won't eat. I am an adult and the choices I am making now are much better for me than the ones I made in the past. I am hoping to see a downward trend at the next test (take that CW doctor!) but even if it seems to be going up I am totally committed to this way of life for myself and my family. I am losing weight from my belly and that is my focus right now. Smaller jeans are a coming!

You can do it! Remember those cholesterol numbers don't really apply to women. I might get mine checked at my next need for a blood draw - 6 months for a thyroid check - but I might just choose to ignore it completely. My doc isn't too worried that I went off my meds. But she's not a CW doctor --- she's a Paleo Doc! CrossFit and all! I'm so happy I found her!
                            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hi! I am not new to Primal eating, but I have not been practicing for a while. I have finally had enough (again) with grains and sugar and garbage processed foods. I started fresh this past Monday. So far I am feeling fine, I've noticed that I am less irritable already.

I was wondering for those of you that have been successful at losing weight with Primal, do you have any tips when it comes to choosing food and meal planning? I have been trying to have a higher protein and fat breakfast with a veggie/fat heavy lunch and then a protein heavy dinner. I haven't been tracking my food or calories. I did this previously and although it was nice to see how much of each macronutrient I was eating - I just wasn't quite sure if it was 'right'.
                              My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

Comment

• Originally posted by mommyrunmommy View Post
                                Hi! I am not new to Primal eating, but I have not been practicing for a while. I have finally had enough (again) with grains and sugar and garbage processed foods. I started fresh this past Monday. So far I am feeling fine, I've noticed that I am less irritable already.

I was wondering for those of you that have been successful at losing weight with Primal, do you have any tips when it comes to choosing food and meal planning? I have been trying to have a higher protein and fat breakfast with a veggie/fat heavy lunch and then a protein heavy dinner. I haven't been tracking my food or calories. I did this previously and although it was nice to see how much of each macronutrient I was eating - I just wasn't quite sure if it was 'right'.
                                Hi Good job on getting back on track! You might go to the EAT MOAR FAT thread started by Paleobird. I've been following her guidance and am seeing some good results. I'm a tracker so it isn't too difficult for me to know exactly where I am with calories and macros. I aim for 1200-1400 calories with high fat, moderate protein and very low carb. Usually looks like 70% - 20% - 10% if I have a perfect day. I'm also moving more - I shoot for 3-5 hours of walking/biking per week.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X