She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    But what is up with the clown pants waists on everything?
    Whenever I buy jeans, there's always a gap in the waistband right at my spine, and it's seriously big enough to store my lunch. Other than that, the front, the thighs, the hips, the butt... they all fit fine. So I don't know if it's me or the way jeans are designed now.

But it's a little disturbing to realize complete strangers can see down into your pants if they just walk behind you.
    Durp.

Comment

• Yes, that's exactly the gap I'm talking about. If I didn't have any underwear on, it would be like where's my toolbox because I'm a plumber now. And if it's true they are supposed to be worn at the hip, well then, the crotch is down between my thighs and I have to keep forcing my pants lower because they won't stay there. So I have to either wear a belt with all my pants to force the gap closed or else I will sew some elastic in there. I don't often do that, but it has worked wonders when I've done it. You have to rip some threads out of the waist band's seam and then put a strip of elastic inside. Sew one end down, then stretch it far, pin it in place and sew the other end down. Then replace the ripped out threads on the waist band. Now you can't even see what was done.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• My thoughts on the clown-waist pants would be that computers grade up the pattern sizes automatically. Not really taking into account how a real woman's body is. That's why as shirts are graded up in size, the shoulders begin to be like a linebackers' and a lot of us just don't need it. I like the idea of the elastic hidden in the back of the waistband....

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          You have to rip some threads out of the waist band's seam and then put a strip of elastic inside. Sew one end down, then stretch it far, pin it in place and sew the other end down. Then replace the ripped out threads on the waist band. Now you can't even see what was done.
          I might just have to whip out my dusty sewing machine...
          Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            i'm small too, only 5'2", and i think the problem is that most pants now are meant to be worn on the hips, not the waist, so the "waist" runs bigger. impossible for me to find pants that don't need to be hemmed, even jeans, so i just wear more skirts.
            Maybe I'm old or something, but I just can't WEAR jeans on the hips. I have to wear them around the waist! And yes, I agree the waist is now too big (because it's supposed to sit on the hip), while the rest fits. So annoying. Oh, and I'm even shorter than you, and I agree that hemming is generally necessary... but I hate hemming jeans as I always think they look not quite right, so I buy short leg length (when possible) and just wear them too long . (I suppose it helps a bit that I DO pull them up to my waist as well?!).

Comment

• I am wearing jeans today. I found a pair of American Eagle Outfitters jeans at the thrift store. I think that's a pretty expensive brand, right? They look unworn. Size 6 which isn't really a new size to me because size 6s are all over the place size-wise. I have not worn jeans in years, though, so this is sort of a milestone, I guess. And yes, they are about 3" too long as usual.

I like the low rise waists, but I do wish they didn't have that gap in the middle in back. So I'm wearing a belt with my jeans. I think they fit pretty well now that they've softened up after a couple of hours of wearing them.

Comment

• Sorry to change the subject......... Is anyone doing the 21 Day Challenge? I need a buddy or 2 or 10 to do this with me! Stop by my journal -- fibromyalgia and fat - tomi's story. I'd link it, but I don't know how to do that!

Thanks.......... okay - back to the jeans conversation and for what its worth....... I buy Levi's 529's. They ride just below the waist and are cut nicely for the curves. No butt crack gap!
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion
                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Tomi, I'll swing by. I'm trying to do the 21 day challenge, because then at least I can eat yogurt with abandon (instead of pretending I'm doing a modified Whole30). I failed on my first night and decided to have some beer, first beer in about a month and a half. Or does 21-day-challenge allow alcohol? I forget.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                    Tomi, I'll swing by. I'm trying to do the 21 day challenge, because then at least I can eat yogurt with abandon (instead of pretending I'm doing a modified Whole30). I failed on my first night and decided to have some beer, first beer in about a month and a half. Or does 21-day-challenge allow alcohol? I forget.
                    it says "moderate" alcohol.

I can't do the whole30 - its just too drastically strict for me. I need more wiggle room.
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion
                    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I totally agree tomi, whole30 just sounds like a lot of food denial and I much prefer to be a 'yes' person about food if that makes sense?

Yes I'm pretty sure the 21 day challenge talks about one glass of red wine every now and then - much more my style

Comment

• Has anybody else ever had this experience?

I've been Primal about a month. Last week, I had a small "off" day, where I had some juice, chicken nuggets, HFCS ketchup, but nothing AWFUL like chocolate cake. I had lost 5 lbs prior to that (down to 164), then when I weighed, I had GAINED that and then some (169.5)! So I've been waiting for this water weight to come off, but it seriously isn't going anywhere. This was a week ago. I've severely restricted carbs since but yesterday I had a few pieces of fruit, including a banana, and today I'm up past 170 (171.5).

I feel gross and look gross - and all around during Primal I've gained 1.5 inches on the waist and 2 on the hips. I'm hardly eating. What the eff is going on? I've cut out dairy, I'm having a square of dark chocolate once a week, servings of nuts two or three times.

This stuff might be relevant -
                        I am incessantly thirsty since becoming Primal. I'm drinking 1.5 L + a day but I'm still craving more.

I never had carb flu initially or unmanageable cravings but I have them now.

I have started strength training at the gym.

My sleep is disturbed, I'm a terrible insomniac and I can't stay asleep. Melatonin doesn't help, tryptophan doesn't help.

I was (am?) pre-diabetic, with really shoddy insulin (my crashes are being managed with Primal, no serious symptoms)

I'm doing all the "Primal" things, making bone broth, sucking marrow out...I'm even looking into organ meats.

I have PCOS and a very irregular cycle, which might mean my period is coming soon.

I'm disheartened and annoyed. I can't stand the idea of eating eggs or meat anymore, I just don't have an appetite, but I can't IF because it triggers binges for me. It just sucks all around and I want to give up and drive to the nearest Mrs. Fields.
                        Last edited by golangrok; 09-12-2012, 01:18 AM.
                        My Primal Journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
                        5'5"
                        SW: 170
                        CW: 162
                        GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

• What's your normal/primal diet like? Show us a normal day (or a few days) worth of food for you.
                          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

• You may not be consuming enough salt if you're drinking that much water. You may not be eating enough food to give your body the nutrients it needs to begin healing itself. I gain weight if I don't eat enough, as weird as that may sound.

Comment

• I also gain weight when I'm not eating enough -- especially when I am strength training/working out a lot. I can pick up a ton of water weight/bloat that takes a few days to go away, even when I get back to eating enough. But I agree with MissJecka, it would help to see what a normal eating day is like for you.
                              It is always too early to quit.
                              Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
                              http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

Comment

• You should see me after a long hike. Maybe I'll take a picture one of these days. I have a belly like a beach ball. That's what a long workout does to me!

I haven't had the experience of eating a bunch of junk food and then gaining lots of weight but that's only because I haven't eaten a bunch of junk food. I do find that there is usually a delay for both the weight gain and weight loss, making it hard to know exactly what did what. It is possible that your weight gain was not from the junk food but from your every-day primal diet. Perhaps you are just eating too many calories. The whole point of this she-grok thread was how things work differently for us women. For a lot of us it means we have to keep an eye on calories. No matter how inviting primal is with it's no calorie tracking needed message, for many women calories still matter. In fact, I think for almost anything on the primal blueprint there should be an asterisk implied that for women, it might work differently.

Anyway, I was pretty insulin resistant (do you ever really heal from that I wonder?) I got great results eating a high fat, low carb diet. I didn't actually lose any weight for the first month or so. Then I got desperate and took pictures of all my food for a whole week, every bite. I noticed that I restrained myself a little more than usual because of the embarrassment of posting the pictures online. The weight loss began after that week. Also, the adaptation happened after that week plus at the end of that week I felt so awful I finally learned about sodium, potassium and magnesium and took some and ahh, felt soooo much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X