4 days of sauerkraut and sausage....for every meal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 days of sauerkraut and sausage....for every meal

I made homemade sauerkraut for the first time. First off it is freaking easy. Second it is way better than the canned/jarred shit you get at the store. Third it is really crunchy....kind of a surprise but a nice one.

Well I was so stoked on the results I and had some sausage hanging around I at it together and about freaked out.....it is one of those perfect combos...like milk and cookies....wine and a good steak....etc.

So I ate it for every single meal for four days straight.....it was awesome

Very surprised that my paleo style ummm morning post coffee ritual was really unchanged from all of the natural bacteria I ate but paleo surprises me all the time!

This should be a warning to you.

Comment

This very combination has sustained Northern Europeans for centuries, live bacteria and all.

Comment

kraut n sausage is my favorite quick meal but i buy the kraut already made - it's from WF, can't remember the brand, but it's very tasty. It comes in a bag & it's crunchy like you describe.

Comment

Sauerkraut and some good meat - YUM!
          Character is defined by what you do when no one else is looking.

Comment

DaisyEater.....that is Hilarious!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
              This should be a warning to you.
              I'm glad you brought this thread back into the light of day. One of the best in memory. Well, maybe not in Rivven's memory

Comment

Man, this sounds really good. I think it's about time I honor my German ancestors again. What kind of sausage did you use, Darwin17? What does everyone else recommend?
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                  Man, this sounds really good. I think it's about time I honor my German ancestors again. What kind of sausage did you use, Darwin17? What does everyone else recommend?
                  Nevermind the sausage, I want to know the homemade sauerkraut recipe. The good stuff costs a fortune at WF.

I've done the sausage recipe three times since I came across it in one of the PB cookbooks, and it's been a huge hit with the entire family. I use Chorizo for myself and my father, my husband likes the Hot Italian, and mom gets Sundried Tomato & Chicken (she won't eat pork yet, her loss ).
                  Last edited by Lapin; 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Please share the recipe, Darwin! My mom's been going on and on about making sauerkraut this winter, but I dislike her recipe. She throws pork ribs in the pot instead of sausage, but it's too soggy to enjoy. The whole meal is just a mess. Sausage sounds fantastic with it though.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
                    Congenital Hypothyroid
                    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Comment

I dump a bunch of shredded cabbage, a half tablespoon of salt or less, 2 tablespoons of whey in a mason jar, fill it up to about an inch from the top with water, seal it up and let it sit. For however long.

Comment

2 heads of cabbage, 2-3 tbs of pickling salt

Shred cabbage...some use large mandolin I just use my knife, mix it with salt and let it sit out for about an HR. Pack into food safe container and when I say pack you need to smash it down to get the liquid over the cabbage. weigh it down so the brine water goes over the cabbage....and let it sit for about a week and give it a try. If you want it more tangy then it can ferment up to a month I think.

Comment

Wow. You must be in hardcore ketosis. Welcome to the club! I pretty much live there.
                          -Transform!

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Comment

Ah - memories of Germany! That's pretty much what I ate there for every meal. There's a spanish restaurant near me that serves wild boar sausgae w/savory cabbage - it's a good variation.

Comment

When making kraut I like to use a head of green cabbage, a head of purple cabbage, a pound or two of grated carrots, a chopped onion or two, and hot peppers to taste (I like about a dozen habaneros personally, the heat mellows out a little bit in fermentation, but it still remains pretty hot) plus sea salt.

The cabbage leaves contain the bacteria necessary for fermentation, and the sugar in the carrots will add a little extra fuel for them to gnaw on.

Comment

Working...
                              X