Hot food vs cold food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot food vs cold food

This may seem like kind of an odd topic but in my life I've noticed that eating foods when they are hot (temperature wise) has always made me feel worse than when eating it cold. For example, eating 3 slices of hot pizza vs 3 slices of cold pizza. I'm using pizza as an example cause a good number of people have eaten it hot and cold. When I eat it hot I feel like total crap but when I eat it cold I don't feel as weighed down and sluggish. This goes for almost any food.

I realize cooking has been around for a long time but it's still somewhat an invention so wouldn't heating up food be unnatural? Is it possible eating food that is heated is not as healthy as non-heated food? I felt the same way when I used to eat fried chicken.

I doubt it. Many nutrients are more bioavailable when they are cooked (in food form).
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

I wanna say that both foods hot and cold are good. Some vitamins and nutrients are directly got from without cooking like seafood and meat. And some foods are needed for cook because without cooking this kind of foods not be an tasty and its going to waste..

Comment

I often eat cooked foods after they have been refrigerated for many hours and are still cold. Best of both worlds? :-)

Comment

i don't know, i feel the same whether the food is hot or cold, the difference for me is the starch/carb count. lotsa starchy carbs and i feel really weighed down

some foods i have to eat hot, some i have to eat cold tho. mouthfeel, yo
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

I was wondering, recently, if there might be some benefit to eating cold, cooked foods just so your body has to expand a tiny bit more energy to warm the food up. Or potentially you just miss out on some nutrients.

Interesting to think about, but either way I doubt it makes a significant difference.
            carl's cave

Comment

cold gelatin from italian roast beef is mighty tasty tho

when my stomach feels better i should make a pot full. and eat it cold. to test it out.

for science!
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

Originally posted by mindo View Post
                This may seem like kind of an odd topic but in my life I've noticed that eating foods when they are hot (temperature wise) has always made me feel worse than when eating it cold. ...

I realize cooking has been around for a long time ...
                You changed the question part-way through.

Is this about hot/cold or cooked/raw? Two different things.

Yes, cooking been around for awhile:

Amazon.com: Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human (9780465020416): Richard Wrangham: Books

It can make some nutrients more available (although some are heat-labile). It can also make the sheer energy-content of the food more available.

Doesn't mean you should eat the food while it's still very hot and burn yourself. My father told me of how he'd once seen the intestines of pigs shown as a comparison. One set had been fed on hot mash, one on cold-mash. (Presumably, both sets of mash had been cooked.) IIRC, those of the former appeared somewhat shrunken. Pigs will, I'm told, eat food scalding hot, squeal in pain, but go on eating.

I think you've raised an interesting topic that I don't think has ever been aired on these boards before.

Yeah, cooked food is fine (although many primitive peoples eat some of their food raw -- perhaps certain cuts like liver). But letting it cool a bit is probably a good idea.

Comment

My homemade Indian curry is the best after you let it cool down, but not cold, just warm, slightly above room temperature.

And remember, be sure to add spices. Lots of spices.

Comment

Cooking has been around for half a million years or more. It is thoroughly paleo, if you're worried about that sort of thing.

But if you feel better eating your food cold, then eat it cold. It's not going to change the nutrition of the food (I don't mean uncooked, but chilled after cooking--cooking definitely does change the nutrition available in food, usually for the better!).
                    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

In the recesses of my mind, there is a small file that remembers something to the effect that if you eat piping hot foods / drinks, you will kill (or at least, desensitize) your taste buds. I have never researched that, though.

Huh. That is interesting, that you have this feeling with almost all foods across the board. If it is a matter of cooking vs. not cooking at all, I think it takes both methods to feed a human well. I wouldn't want to be a slave to either practice (always cooking everything or never cooking anything).

I am just a little confused, though, about your original post. Do you mean to discuss raw foodism vs cooking, or just the fact that your body seems to prefer the eating temp of your cooked foods to be cooler?
                      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                        cold gelatin from italian roast beef is mighty tasty tho

when my stomach feels better i should make a pot full. and eat it cold. to test it out.

for science!
                        Italian roast beef? By that do you mean that the beef is from italy, or that it's a recipe for roast beef using Italian flavours? If its the latter I'd be interested in knowing more...
                        My Journal: Englishman In Oz, Skinny to Muscle in a Primal Way

Comment

i shall go find the church lady cookbook for you, to share in this culinary delight

and i have returned, the ingredients are as follows

bottom or butt beef roast
                          2 tbsp oil to brown it in
                          3 tbsp italian seasoning
                          2 cubes beef boullion (if you don't mind msg, or you can just cook down some home made beef broth)
                          1 tsp garlic powder
                          1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
                          salt & pepper

brown beef on both sides in oil. place in crock pot and cover with water. add all other ingredients and cook according to crock pot directions (approximately 4-6 hours on high) or until meat is tender and pulls apart with a fork.

alternate;y this can (and i have) be cooked on a stove, lid covering the pot or pan, on medium-high to simmer for several hours until tender, then removing the lid to cook some more til the water evaporates some

super duper good times
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post

I am just a little confused, though, about your original post. Do you mean to discuss raw foodism vs cooking, or just the fact that your body seems to prefer the eating temp of your cooked foods to be cooler?

I was referring to just temperature of food and not nutrition or anything. I may have confused some people when I mentioned "cooking" but in my mind at that time I was thinking the only way for food to be hot is through cooking.

This thread was started quite a while ago but I still feel that eating food at a cold or room temperature degree feels better than eating it hot, cooked or not. It feels even worse when the type of food contains a lot of oil like pizza or fried chicken.

I know lots of people here say cooking food makes it more nutritious and possibly it does but there's got to be some drawbacks in terms of health even if it's minor. Isn't that always the rule? If you make something taste better it somehow becomes less healthy? I feel that we were suppose to eat food as nature intended us to and cooking wasn't really part of the original plan.

This is what I believe but I don't follow it. I cook everything cause it tastes better and we pretty much have to these days unless you go out and kill your own meat.

Comment

Originally posted by mindo View Post
                              I know lots of people here say cooking food makes it more nutritious and possibly it does but there's got to be some drawbacks in terms of health even if it's minor. Isn't that always the rule? If you make something taste better it somehow becomes less healthy? I feel that we were suppose to eat food as nature intended us to and cooking wasn't really part of the original plan.
                              This is kinda superstitious thinking IMO. Nature doesn't "intend" anything--it just follows the laws of physics. There is no "original plan" (OK, if you are religious/theist maybe you believe there is one, but it still doesn't follow that cooking wasn't part of it). Humans have been eating cooked food for many hundreds of thousands of years, longer than our particular species has existed--more than plenty of time to have evolved to the point where our guts expect to be fed mostly cooked food that has been pre-processed with cutting or crushing tools. Our physiology even reflects this--we have tiny little puny jaws/teeth that can't chew anything very tough or fibrous, and our throats can't handle large chunks of unchewed food, either.

There is no "rule" of life that says cooking, flavoring or seasoning your food makes it less healthy. If anything it kills pathogens and parasites that might otherwise kill us.
                              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X