Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places for PB food etc in Australia- list

Hi,

Not sure if there's a thread already like this (I searched and didnt find one).

I'm new and thought that building a list of places/ sources for primal foods, meats, good spices etc in Australia would be mutually beneficial for all of us Aussies. Breaking it down into states and cities and stuff within posts is probably a good idea.

Here's my contribution from what I've found in my (aprox) 3 weeks of being primal so far.

Sydney, NSW:
    - Grassfed beef: Hudson meats in Surry Hills is almost exclusively grassfed. Additionally, I just asked my local butcher, Michael's Meats (very well priced, in the Surry Hills shopping village) whether his meat was grassfed and he said that almost all of it is, excluding scotch fillets and a couple of others (just ask him on a case by case basis). Additionally, Eveleigh Markets near Sydney uni on a Saturday has a grassfed beef stall (Greenhill Organic meat) but I haven't yet tried them out.
    - Spices: Paddy's Markets in chinatown has an excellent spice stall near the edge of the produce section.
    - Unforgettable, amazingly priced, crushed vanilla beans: You'll never need to buy expensive vanilla beans or use that gross liquid stuff again. It's black as it is meant to be and smells and tastes heavenly. I ordered at like 9am and received it the same day that afternoon. Organic Vanilla Powder 30-90g - Professional Whey Protein Powder & Sports Supplements at Wholesale Prices
    - Coconut milk + cream with no additives/emulsifiers etc: Ayam-brand coconut milk in the Asian section at Woolworths
    - Organic dates: Coles but not Woolworths.
    - Fivefingers The Adventure Megastore - Home of Adventure in Sydney City. They are Australian priced though so cost way more than in the USA. I got my KSO treksports there because I was too impatient to import.

Canberra:
    - Coconut flour: Healthy life, Woden Westfield.

Please add on so I (and hopefully others) in Aus can expand our repetoire.

Brisbane - Grass fed Beef: Super Butchers have a wide selection of grass-fed beef.

Comment

I noticed organic coconut flour, and a few other non grain flours as well, at IGA Deakin (ACT) today... crazy price though.
      Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
      Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
      Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
      Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

Victoria Market in Melbourne covers all organic and fresh needs from eggs, chocolate, coconut oil, veg, fruit, meat and fish. Do my weekly produce-shop there. I buy Banaban CO in bulk (5 liters) from an Oz EBay-store. I use ValueHealth at Westfield Doncaster or Chadstone for all my organic salts,skin care, shampoos, and organic oils for both food and skincare. I use ErePerez online shop for make-up.
        I get my organic wines from either 1st Choice or Dan Murphy.
        I get my Swiss-supplements from Coles or Woolies when it's on special.
        I buy organic shredded coconut, Macro-brand, from Woolies.

Comment

These guys are brilliant for chemical free, grass fed beef and lamb delivered throughout QLD.

Mitchell Grass Meats

Comment

Got mg KSO's from Adventure Megastore too. Excellent customer service!

Grassfed meat is pretty easy to get in Oz, but if you are in Sydney then Sydney Meats, Farm Fresh to your Door have hormone and antibiotic free grassfed beef, lamb and goat from farms in Bowral.

Oh and ALDI now sell grassfed beef cheap

Comment

Agree that grassfed beef is easy to get here. Our local butcher is able to point out which meat is and isn't with the flick of his hand. For organic fruit, veg and eggs I just head to our local markets. It's all so much cheaper than the supermarket too! Coconut flour and the like I get from a specialty store. At $12.95/kg it's not cheap but I don't do that much baking.

I saw Woolworths have now introduced an organic coconut milk. It was cheaper than the Ayam brand too, which is the one I normally buy.

When buying milk I always get A2 milk.
              Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
              CW - 60kg / 132lb
              GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

Athanasey, why A2 milk, what do you like about it? I have been buying Parmalat organic/unhomogenised.

I second the Aldi votes for organic/grassfed beef (cheap!), inexpensive heavy cream and butter, and other items in their organic product lines (such as the Fair Trade chocolate!). :-) And cheap, wild caught tinned salmon too.

Coles regularly have Suncoast Gold EV mac nut oil on special (I like it for cooking as I don't do coconut oil, and it makes a good mayo).

Paleo Rob has a good summary of grassfed meat suppliers on his website: Grass Fed Meat in Australia
                I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasey View Post
                  I saw Woolworths have now introduced an organic coconut milk. It was cheaper than the Ayam brand too, which is the one I normally buy.
                  Check the ingredients list still because I saw organic coconut milk somewhere the other day but it was full of emulsifiers and all that stuff that ruins the loveliness of the coconut milk.

Comment

Originally posted by sroelofs View Post
                    Oh and ALDI now sell grassfed beef cheap
                    Really?! I haven't stepped foot in an ALDI in years! I'll definitely have to check it out if it's stocking that kind of thing nowadays!

Comment

Oh, does anyone have a source for pastured butter... Or is our butter from grassfed cows in aus anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                        Athanasey, why A2 milk, what do you like about it? I have been buying Parmalat organic/unhomogenised.

I second the Aldi votes for organic/grassfed beef (cheap!), inexpensive heavy cream and butter, and other items in their organic product lines (such as the Fair Trade chocolate!). :-) And cheap, wild caught tinned salmon too.
                        [/url]
                        I tried A2 milk because I couldn't handle normal milk. If I had it every day I would wake up vomiting. It felt like morning sickness. Someone suggested trying the A2 milk and I have no problems with it. I don't really drink much milk but my 6 year old does and I just think its a better milk. There was some people talking in another thread the other day about a book called "The Devil in the Milk" which apparently sings it's praises. I haven't read the book though.

I'll have to check out Aldi's prices again, haven't been there in a while. I wasn't a fan of their chocolate. Much prefer Green and Blacks Organic.

SW - 84kg / 185lb
                        CW - 60kg / 132lb
                        GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

Originally posted by SophieE View Post
                          Oh, does anyone have a source for pastured butter... Or is our butter from grassfed cows in aus anyway?
                          Everything I can find says it is. Although during times of drought that would probably change.

SW - 84kg / 185lb
                          CW - 60kg / 132lb
                          GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

I go to Aldi a lot for their nappies. Tried their meat once and hated it, it was so chewy. It was not organic though, I will try their new range. I like their chocolate but they don't go as dark as 85%, so I don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                              I go to Aldi a lot for their nappies. Tried their meat once and hated it, it was so chewy. It was not organic though, I will try their new range. I like their chocolate but they don't go as dark as 85%, so I don't bother.
                              The Aldi nappies are awesome For crawlers you can't beat them. Aldi definitely have some good stuff nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                              X