No announcement yet.

Places for PB food etc in Australia- list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you Aussies have a good primal bark recipe to share?

Comment

Does anyone know where in Sydney I can buy yoghurt starter culture and/or a "candy" thermometer?
      Any unpasteurised yoghurt will do. Jalna is pretty good
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by ljq309 View Post
        TKBSJ, Aussie Farmers Direct do organic fruit and veg boxes, you'd need to look on their web site to see if they deliver in your area and are suitable for your needs.

I asked Aussie Farmers whether their chickens were grass/grain fed, I was actually wanting to know about their eggs because the ones they deliver here are FAR superior to the supermarket eggs. Their reply: "Please note that our chickens are grain fed however as they are free to roam they may also be classed as grass fed."
        lol. Chickens aren't cattle.

Originally posted by SophieE View Post
        Coconut yoghurt: Coyo - Stockist - Listing

Sydney

Kefir grains, coconut yoghurt and macadamia butter: About Life in Bondi junction, Sydney

Enoki mushrooms (I fry these in butter n garlic and use in place of spaghetti- eg bolognese. Tastes 10000x better than pasta anyway): paddy's markets mushroom stand for $1.50 a bunch. Asian Thai-kee IGA above china town paddy's markets has the same enoki for $1.90

Coconut/palm sugar: Thai kee IGA above paddy's markets in Chinatown. Really cheap. They have all the dried seaweeds (and some fresh (frozen) too.

Does anyone know where in Sydney I can buy yoghurt starter culture and/or a "candy" thermometer?
        Are they real kefir grains that will go forever or are they the powdered grains?

I found live kefir grains by doing a search on the internet and paid $12 to get them shipped. I'm sure if you searched for yoghurt starter cultures you'll find some online who can ship to you.
        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Oh really, gosh I really really thought they were. Do you not think there is a difference? An egg from a grass fed chicken is way different to one from a grain fed chicken. But I guess if you've never had one...
          Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
          Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
          Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
          Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

@peril.......watch out though as some Jalna (vanilla) is sweetened with fructose.
            Always pays to read labels.

I just found Niu Organic Coconut Oil at my local 'health' food shop. $26 for 500g!!!!!
            woot!

Comment

Thanks Glam.Charcoal on the hill sounds perfect.
              Life. Be in it.

Comment

Originally posted by TKBSJ View Post
                Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with an organic/grass fed meat delivery service (for the Sydney area)

I'm on a budget and thought that knowing exactly what I'm spending on food each week would be a good way to know exactly how much I'm spending.

Thanks
                Buy Gourmet Free Range Meat Fish Chicken Home Delivery Sydney

Comment

Originally posted by Jovana View Post
                  Does anybody know where to get nitrate free bacon in Sydney?
                  I get it from an Organic butcher in Dural, all the meat is also grass fed, and straight from his farm to the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by almostGrok'd View Post
                    @peril.......watch out though as some Jalna (vanilla) is sweetened with fructose.
                    Always pays to read labels.
                    Thanks. Only have the greek yoghurt. Flavoured yoghurt is an abomination
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                      lol. Chickens aren't cattle.

Are they real kefir grains that will go forever or are they the powdered grains?

I found live kefir grains by doing a search on the internet and paid $12 to get them shipped. I'm sure if you searched for yoghurt starter cultures you'll find some online who can ship to you.
                      I'm not sure actually! And now I cant be sure because my mother accidentally threw it out. I'm currently attempting to make coconut yoghurt using 4 emptied capsules of my probiotics so hopefully that works... Otherwise I'll order yoghurt cultures over the internet because I'm trying to make a completely dairy free yoghurt to eat while I cut cow's dairy out for a while.

Comment

I've moved onto A2 milk and replaced my cheeses with goats cheese. I think cows milk bloats me, doing a bit of tweaking to see where it gets me.

Feel like my weight loss has stalled. 20 days since I last saw a change on the scales.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                          I've moved onto A2 milk and replaced my cheeses with goats cheese. I think cows milk bloats me, doing a bit of tweaking to see where it gets me.

Feel like my weight loss has stalled. 20 days since I last saw a change on the scales.
                          I'm pretty much doing the same as you (I have butter though- don't know if you do). I have a bunch of gorgeous goats cheeses that have no negative impact on me whatsoever and I wasn't having cows milk for ages because it made me really sleepy and upset my stomach but the jalna biodynamic organic plain yoghurt was really messing with my stomach. I was thinking of trying a cup of a2 milk to determine whether it's the lactose or casein (or something unidentifiable in Cow's milk...) How are you going with a2 milk?

I'm not trying to lose weight (I'm 50kg so don't need to) but once I cut the yoghurt out I went down maybe half a kg on the scales- I think it was the inflammation and bloating from my incompatibility with the yoghurt.

Also, a thought, does a2 butter exist in Australia?

Comment

I only use 30-50 ml milk in my mix when I make omelets, which is probably every 2nd day. Still have butter but not often. Cheese was my vice so I thought replacing it with goats cheese might help a bit. But I certainly haven't gone in hardcore about it. I'm still a long way off goal weight so I should still be losing... But I always seem to stall around this number. Last time I spent 12 weeks on 67-68 kilos, before falling pregnant and forgetting about weightloss altogether. I was hoping that with the primal diet I would stall so early on.

Comment

I use A2 milk for myself and my children. 1 year old is going into day care next year and I don't really want to be expressing. I'll keep feeding her overnight but A2 milk during the day. She just couldn't tolerate normal milk. She's still breaking out in rashes from eggs too which is unfortunate, such a convenient food.

On that note I am moving to Brisbane in the new year. Any tips for some great markets. The kind where you can get cheap fruit and veg and eggs that still have grass stuck to them!
                              Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
                              CW - 60kg / 132lb
                              GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

I'm sure you totally know this but anyway, they say IF and ensuring you do the weekly sprint session can help you break through a weightloss plateau. Maybe check out your sleep too- not just how many hours but at what times (bed late at night= bad because it's still messing with circadian rhythms.)

Just found this on the Aussie site for A2 milk:

"a2 Jalna Low Fat Natural Creamy Yoghourt is now available in Coles supermarkets around Australia. Long Life a2 Milk™ is available at IGA Supermarkets and at Coles, and we are working on powdered A2. We are also assessing a wide range of associated A2 dairy products including cream, cheese, butter and ice-cream."

Also, my coconut yoghurt turned out very well. Delicious. Everyone should try to make homemade coconut yoghurt. Easy and delicious. Works out to be around $5 a litre vs around $23 a litre for coyo coconut yoghurt (plus you get to control all ingredients- ie. Presence of xylitol and/or tapioca starch).
                                Last edited by SophieE; 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X