Places for PB food etc in Australia- list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jovana View Post
    Does anybody know where to get nitrate free bacon in Sydney?
    I've had no luck here in Melbourne. Apparently nitrate keeps the meat from going black during curing/smoking? I tried normal bacon I got a terrible headache, so it's out for me.

Comment

I've never seen nitrate free bacon here. If I do I'll post about it.

Every few weeks I'm in Canberra and I don't know of a good deli there. I mostly am in the Woden area and I tried the deli in Woden Westfield and the 2 cheeses I got there were very substandard and the semi-dried tomatoes were unpleasant (though the anchovy-stuffed olives were good and so was the ricotta). I know cheese isn't really primal but it's an indulgence so I like it to be good and I think most people on here know good food from average. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by SophieE View Post
        I've never seen nitrate free bacon here. If I do I'll post about it.

Every few weeks I'm in Canberra and I don't know of a good deli there. I mostly am in the Woden area and I tried the deli in Woden Westfield and the 2 cheeses I got there were very substandard and the semi-dried tomatoes were unpleasant (though the anchovy-stuffed olives were good and so was the ricotta). I know cheese isn't really primal but it's an indulgence so I like it to be good and I think most people on here know good food from average. Any suggestions?
        I just buy good poached or smoked salmon, Huon-brand (Woolworths) or creamy goats cheese if I'm limited to treats without a good deli around. The big supermarkets all have some nice things, probably better than the options of a bad deli sometimes?

Comment

Check this out: Order Now | 180 Nutrition

Comment

I have to admit that I live close to Woden and I NEVER go to the deli there, something about it just puts me off. To be honest the big supermarkets have a great range of cheeses now and I usually buy there, if I'm looking for something special I will go to the Fyshwick markets.

I noticed today that IGA have a lot of good looking (ie not many ingredients and no chemical concoctions) wheat free breads. I have teenage sons who can definitely afford to eat bread but I want to cut down on the wheat so I'm going to give these a try... as well as making some.
            Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
            Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
            Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
            Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

Originally posted by ljq309 View Post
              I have to admit that I live close to Woden and I NEVER go to the deli there, something about it just puts me off. To be honest the big supermarkets have a great range of cheeses now and I usually buy there, if I'm looking for something special I will go to the Fyshwick markets.
              You're right- the supermarkets do have pretty good cheeses. I like the tasmanian heritage double brie. I really want to check the Fyshwick markets out though. Maybe next time I'm down in Canberra. I like to get a variety of really interesting cheeses (today, from a russian deli in sydney, I bought goat's chevre, a semi-hard goat's cheese thats quite creamy and very white and a goat's cheese similar to parmesan).

Also, I tried a tandoori salad from a chain called "Sumo Salad" today and it was really tasty!! I've never eaten from there before but you can look through the menu and pick all the elements you want (make your own Big Ass Salad). It's a fabulous option for eating when you're out. I need to see where else they have stores!

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                I just buy good poached or smoked salmon, Huon-brand (Woolworths) or creamy goats cheese if I'm limited to treats without a good deli around. The big supermarkets all have some nice things, probably better than the options of a bad deli sometimes?
                I'll have to check out the Huon brand smoked salmon. I always get the one in the black packaging (don't know what it's called) but only because I don't know which of the others are good!

Comment

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with an organic/grass fed meat delivery service (for the Sydney area)

I'm on a budget and thought that knowing exactly what I'm spending on food each week would be a good way to know exactly how much I'm spending.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TKBSJ View Post
                    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with an organic/grass fed meat delivery service (for the Sydney area)

I'm on a budget and thought that knowing exactly what I'm spending on food each week would be a good way to know exactly how much I'm spending.

Thanks
                    Oh and vegies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SophieE View Post
                      I'll have to check out the Huon brand smoked salmon. I always get the one in the black packaging (don't know what it's called) but only because I don't know which of the others are good!
                      Huon is farmed, but by an "free-range" principle. It tastes far better than the other brands they have at Woolies. I'm extrenely fussy, having grown up with fresh, wild cold-water fish in norway, but Huon is some good stuff for sure.

Sophie, we have lots and lots of Sumo salads here in Melbourne. I love them, I went througha stage of CW-dieting where I was obsessed with their food. Its so fresh and yummy.

Comment

TKBSJ, Aussie Farmers Direct do organic fruit and veg boxes, you'd need to look on their web site to see if they deliver in your area and are suitable for your needs.

I asked Aussie Farmers whether their chickens were grass/grain fed, I was actually wanting to know about their eggs because the ones they deliver here are FAR superior to the supermarket eggs. Their reply: "Please note that our chickens are grain fed however as they are free to roam they may also be classed as grass fed."
                        Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
                        Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
                        Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
                        Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

Coconut yoghurt: Coyo - Stockist - Listing

Sydney

Kefir grains, coconut yoghurt and macadamia butter: About Life in Bondi junction, Sydney

Enoki mushrooms (I fry these in butter n garlic and use in place of spaghetti- eg bolognese. Tastes 10000x better than pasta anyway): paddy's markets mushroom stand for $1.50 a bunch. Asian Thai-kee IGA above china town paddy's markets has the same enoki for $1.90

Coconut/palm sugar: Thai kee IGA above paddy's markets in Chinatown. Really cheap. They have all the dried seaweeds (and some fresh (frozen) too.

Does anyone know where in Sydney I can buy yoghurt starter culture and/or a "candy" thermometer?
                          Last edited by SophieE; 12-03-2011, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I cannot wait to try that Coyo stuff, I think I have my Christmas treat sorted!

Can anyone recommend good steak/primal like restaurant in Melbourne?
                            Life. Be in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Belforte View Post
                              Its delicious! I enjoy it most with a drizzle of almond butter and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds (pomegranates are finally back in season- yay!!). It does contain xylitol though but mark has an article saying that xylitol is fine. Also, it has a bit of tapioca starch but the overall carb content is still very low.

Comment

Originally posted by Belforte View Post

Can anyone recommend good steak/primal like restaurant in Melbourne?
                                Charcoal on the Hill in Kew has beautiful steaks and wines, just skip the fries that comes with the steak. Can't go past Rockpool and The Atlantic down at Crown either.

Comment

Working...
                                X