Places for PB food etc in Australia- list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SophieE View Post
    does it still keep for as long as store bought? Like could you have it in a backpack hiking for a few days?
    I generally store it in the fridge because it takes me a few weeks to get through a batch, but a day or two outside the fridge should be fine. Make sure it's completely dried. Some vacuum seal theirs for longer trips; see Mark's post: How to Make Your Own Jerky | Mark's Daily Apple
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
      Went to Great Earth in Camberwell today. It was awesome, a primal heaven!
      It is good, often great prices too, compared to other health food shopfronts. If anyone here uses protein powder, this can be a good place to get it. I particularly like Pro-Matrix Naked Whey (plain, simply grass-fed whey protein) or Wicked Whey (just with added organic cocoa and a little xylitol). I get it much cheaper at Great Earth than if ordering direct from the manufacturer!

Beware of taking nutritional advice from some of the staff though - a few are rather trapped in CW/anti-meat thinking.
      I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Sigi View Post
        It is good, often great prices too, compared to other health food shopfronts. If anyone here uses protein powder, this can be a good place to get it. I particularly like Pro-Matrix Naked Whey (plain, simply grass-fed whey protein) or Wicked Whey (just with added organic cocoa and a little xylitol). I get it much cheaper at Great Earth than if ordering direct from the manufacturer!

Beware of taking nutritional advice from some of the staff though - a few are rather trapped in CW/anti-meat thinking.
        There was a distinct vegan vibe there. I never ask non-paleos for nutritional advice!

Comment

• Yeah I'm pretty sure all the bread at deeks has sugar in it too

Comment

• And sugar and oils are the easiest things to sub! Deeks really missed out on making themselves appeal to another group or two or three of people.

Comment

• Has anyone seen okinawan purple sweet potatoes around?

Comment

• Originally posted by SophieE View Post
                Has anyone seen okinawan purple sweet potatoes around?
                No, been looking for them too!

Comment

• hi all,
                  Thanks for this thread! Ive been buying some interesting meats from the Persia butcher, main street, blacktown, Sydney, including Camel which i slow cooked with onions, garam masala, chillis, cinamon and paprika <super tasty and tender.
                  cheers,
                  B

Comment

• We have been getting purple ones in our organic order most weeks

Comment

• Originally posted by bedouin View Post
                      hi all,
                      Thanks for this thread! Ive been buying some interesting meats from the Persia butcher, main street, blacktown, Sydney, including Camel which i slow cooked with onions, garam masala, chillis, cinamon and paprika <super tasty and tender.
                      cheers,
                      B
                      Ooh will go check it out

Comment

• Trugolds at Fyshwick markets stock the purple ones sometimes

Comment

• Originally posted by huckie View Post
                          Trugolds at Fyshwick markets stock the purple ones sometimes
                          Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                          We have been getting purple ones in our organic order most weeks
                          Request for clarification from both of the above before I get too excited- are the sweet potatoes white on the outside and deep purple throughout the inside like in mark's article about yams and sweet potatoes? The Difference Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

Comment

• hmm slightly different. Here is a pic I took the other day.

Comment

• I think those might be the other purple ones mark was writing about- the ones that don't taste as good and are dry and starchy (apparently).

I checked out that Suveran cafe in Bondi Junction Sydney today for breakfast and it was actually really yummy! I ordered the lamb "crap" (crepe with a German accent apparently). It was really tasty (in a health food kinda way if that makes sense) and came with a free drinking coconut. Totally reasonably priced and massive (I couldn't finish it) so I ate all the filling (lettuces, a few pumpkin seeds, sprouts, Cauliflower, miscellaneous dark leafies, little tasty spinach balls, something similar to dhaal (but legume free) tender delicious lamb, I'm sure there was turmeric in there too but it wasn't Indian or curry-ish just really fresh and refreshing) and only a third of the crepe. The only oil they use to cook there is coconut oil and they use no sweeteners at all (so no sneaky agave) nor any legumes. I'll definitely go again! Really friendly too and lots of books around to read (Heaps on the evils of sugar and how great the sun in... though a few are a bit too hippy-ish for me). There was even an ORAC value poster. They apparently have organic skin care (magskinlover range) and other stuff too that I want to check out. The website says they have coconut water kefir and I really want to try that!!!
                              Last edited by SophieE; 12-22-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Quite a few greengrocers on the Northern Beaches have the cream skinned, pale purple sweet potatoes. However, there is a Chinese grocer in Dee Why who sometimes has the real deal. I'll eat whichever I can get. They're both better than kumera
                                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                                X