Dry skin :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry skin :(

I've noticed that since starting the primal diet my skin has become super dry. My finger tips are all scaley looking and are even starting to crack on one hand. I've tried everything including drinking more water and using more lotion than anyone should have to and it wont let up. Is this a sign that I'm possibly not getting some kind of vitamin? It's really gross, a girl should not have dry skin like this! Could it be the primal diet? Maybe I'm just being paranoid haha. But seriously, the weather here hasn't changed, I'm drinking a ton of water and using lotion so I have no idea whats going on Oh, and I'm not washing my hands any more than I normally do and I always use gloves when I wash the dishes. =/ It's not just my hands too, all of my skin seems to be a little dry. I've never had this problem before.

I don't know what to tell you, but I just wanted to chime in and say, "me too". My skin has been dryer than normal and my eyes are super dry too. I know that primal/low carb makes you lose a lot of water, but I don't know how to replenish your skin's moisture

Comment

Usually B vitamin deficiency. How much liver do you eat in a week? Perhaps try doubling it. It's pretty hard to overdose on it unless you eat it every day.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

have you had your hormones checked lately? Before I got treated for hypothyroid, I felt like I could itch my skin off , it was beyond dry. Nothing worked for it until i got on meds. But hopefully that is not it in your case.
        I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

I've had my thyroid checked about a million times and it always comes back on the low end of normal so they won't do anything about it. My current doctor thinks I'm crazy. I'm pretty sure he thinks I made up all the symptoms I used to deal with before going grain free. I have been really itchy too, I didn't realize that the two may be connected until now.

As far as liver goes...I don't think I'll ever be able to eat liver. I just can't get myself to do it. I can barely look at it. /gag However, I've been taking B complex vitamin drops for about two weeks. Actually, I just read the bottle and I'm probably not taking enough or using them the right way o.O I kind of feel like a noob now. I'll see if fixing that makes a difference at all.

Comment

My skin is so dry too since going primal. My hands hurt just flexing them. It's so bad I'm tempted to put pure lanolin on them at night but then I'm not sure how to remove it without making my skin dry again.

Comment

My skin is so dry too since going primal. My hands hurt just flexing them. It's so bad I'm tempted to put pure lanolin on them at night but then I'm not sure how to remove it without making my skin dry again.
              Then what are you eating, and what are not eating that you probably should be?
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Wow... Me too. Never thought of a connection to my diet. My legs have been soooooo itchy and my thumbs are dry on the tips!! Will try the vite B thing....

Comment

IME, my dry skin is usually related to any combination not having my diet in check (ie, letting my 20% be really bad 20% stuff) or using soap that is too harsh and drying (ie the handsoap my husband loves but is little more than fragrant chemical soup...I do much better with Dr. Bronners castille soap) and weather (esp now that it's getting colder here). I switched to almond oil for moisturizer a long time ago and my skin seems to do a lot better with that than traditional lotions.

If you are newly primal, it could just be your body adjusting to things and your skin might normalize in a month or two.

Also, with a low normal thyroid + symptoms, I'd find a new doctor. There are MANY that WILL treat if you have symptoms...my doc told me that what they thought was "low normal" may just actually be "low" for some people...A low dose of thyroid hormone made a HUGE difference in my quality of life.
                  Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

To ease some of the discomfort, try coconut oil. I've always used it as a lotion, it works great.

Hope you get things figured out on the inside from the other suggestions.
                    Start Weight: 265.8
                    Current Weight: 234.4
                    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      Then what are you eating, and what are not eating that you probably should be?
                      As far as I know I'm 100% Primal. No nuts or dairy other than grass fed butter. Eating lots of fats from meats, coconut oil, eggs, fish, grass fed beef, lots of green veggies, few fruit. Tracking things on Fitday and the only 2 nutrients that it says I'm short on a daily basis is Vit E and Calcium.

Comment

The other one to look into is the soap that you use for washing clothes. I'm not sure exactly which ingredient causes me problems but some brands of fabric conditioner really dry out my skin. I notice it most on my hands and shins when we get the wrong one .

It's only something that I realised recently and it seems to be exacerbated by the hard water in the area we moved to about a year ago.

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

Originally posted by kaoticturtle View Post
                          The other one to look into is the soap that you use for washing clothes. I'm not sure exactly which ingredient causes me problems but some brands of fabric conditioner really dry out my skin. I notice it most on my hands and shins when we get the wrong one .

It's only something that I realised recently and it seems to be exacerbated by the hard water in the area we moved to about a year ago.
                          I typically only use real unscented soap to shower and to wash my hair - been doing that for years. Clothes washing I use Method brand unscented. Been using that for years too. Rinse with vinegar to get all soap out.

I'm only about 2 months into this WOE and I hope the dry skin is caused by temporary hormone changes. It's usually my DH that is suffering with the chapped skin no me.

Comment

I have had dry skin as long as I can remember; I have found relief showering with cooler water, no soap - followed by coconut oil.

Comment

I'll try the coconut oil and cooler showers. I do tend to like hot showers :P

I'd change doctors if I could, but my husband just changed jobs and until he gets his promised pay raise we're stuck with the cheaper insurance which happens to be an HMO. The doctor we see was assigned to us so I can't just change to a new one anytime I want like I could with his PPO insurance. Honestly, I've had blood drawn for thyroid issues about 6 times and despite the low normal and long list of symptoms that point to hypothyroid, the doctors all say I'm fine and "normal". I've pretty much given up on that fight.

I'm hoping this diet change will fix a lot of the symptoms I deal with, the dry skin thing is new though. It could just be hormones doing crazy things.

Comment

Working...
                              X