Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do paleo/primal folks and vegans hate each other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
    UGH.. he must be sooo constipated!! No wonder he makes mischief.
    Sorry to dig up one post from pages ago, but have you ever actually eaten a whole bunch of bananas (or other starchy, fibrous food) in one day? It leads to the exact opposite of constipation.

A ton of starch + a bunch of fiber = 2-3 daily bowel explosions, generally speaking.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by abeljames View Post
      Perhaps "hate" is too strong a word, but it seems to me that there is a great deal of passionate friction between the paleo and vegan communities. Clearly, there are differences in philosophy and practice, namely one group eats meat and the other does not.

But when you compare what paleo and vegans actually eat on a daily basis, it's actually quite similar. I, for one, eat roughly 75% fruits and vegetables, most of them raw. Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it seems to me that my diet is *mostly* vegan. Certainly when you compare paleo and vegan to the standard American diet they have more similarities than differences.

So where is the love? Why is there so much bickering between the paleos and vegans?
      I think on a real-life, face-to-face basis, paleos and vegans get along quite well! As a former vegan, who has many vegan pals, it seems like we agree on many things, including the compassionate treatment of animals, organic produce, and supporting local farmers. I think a lot of the "bickering" is done on internet forums. It would help if some paleos didn't insist on posting nonsense about "brainless" or "weak" vegans. Sure, some vegans go out of their way to insult paleo. Let them be childish, we don't have to stoop to their level.

Comment

• avocado:

the sad thing is, this information is easily available. It's easy to learn about vegetarianism in the tradition, and it's context and history. If it were absolutely necessary to be vegetarian to practice yoga, then 70% of india would be SOL, and more than 80% of Nepal. The remaining 20% are mostly buddhist, so I guess they'd be SOL too.

Which makes no sense whatsoever.

End of the day, it's fine to choose to be vegetarian because of your spiritual practices. It's also ok to choose not to.

Comment

• Originally posted by aix_sponsa View Post
          The next day, I killed a very large female black widow making a nest 4 feet from her front door (because she has pets that go in and out; otherwise I'm live-and-let-live). I mentioned to her that I killed a potentially dangerous black widow on her porch, and she gave me the most horrified open-mouthed look like I had just stabbed her beloved DOG to death, gave a little whimper, and walked away.
          I'm guessing she's never been bit by a black widow. She might change her mind about how wonderful they are.
          Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by aix_sponsa View Post
            This makes me wonder how my vegan "New Age" mother-in-law will react to my husband and I eating MORE meat now that we're primal. Last time we visited her (she lives 1300 miles away in New Mexico), I mentioned to my husband that I might like to run down to Wal-Mart to get some shrimp to cook up for us. She scoffed at the very idea of this and said to me with the most condescending tone, "Don't you know how many fish are killed for that package of shrimp? And to waste all that gas driving to Wal-Mart?" Urgh... made me so mad.

The next day, I killed a very large female black widow making a nest 4 feet from her front door (because she has pets that go in and out; otherwise I'm live-and-let-live). I mentioned to her that I killed a potentially dangerous black widow on her porch, and she gave me the most horrified open-mouthed look like I had just stabbed her beloved DOG to death, gave a little whimper, and walked away.

Sigh.

Jenny
            I would just like to say that not all of us in New Mexico feel that way. I had Charlotte setting up housekeeping behind a screen door that doesn't get closed any more and she and her two freakishly large egg sacs got dispatched to the great spider web in the sky, and then two weeks later, her sister Charlene had set up housekeeping in the opposite corner and followed behind her. Live and let live...not so much.

Comment

• I didn't read the whole thing, but it's kind of a religious mindset to me. Because Paleo types actually think carefully about their food, they are supposed to come to the "right" conclusion -> vegan. It's like knowing and then openly rejecting the religion you grew up with (apostasy)- much worse than not ever hearing / caring about it. It's all about emotion and ingroup / outgroup dynamics. Come to think of it, the hate on vegans from paleos is pretty much the same thing.
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
              X