What's going on here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on here?

It seems a bit odd that in the last 6 months or so we have been told to skip mammograms and prostate exams and to quit taking supplements. So, what's with pushing all the pills by doctors and why is so much processed food "fortified" with vitamins and minerals? I'm not sure about all of this. I'm eating grain fed and free range, wild caught, and organic as much as possible, so is that enough at this point?

Deep Throat summed it all up: follow the money.

Comment

edit
      Last edited by Chapstick; 11-13-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Eating Primal foods and avoiding grains will get you all the nutrition you need. People eating the SAD only need to take vitamins because the grains they are eating are empty calories with next to no nutritional value.
        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Yes, that's why so many people here pay hundreds of dollars a months for supplements because Dr Kruse (or whatever loon of the month they're partial to) tells them they need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
            Eating Primal foods and avoiding grains will get you all the nutrition you need. People eating the SAD only need to take vitamins because the grains they are eating are empty calories with next to no nutritional value.
            This^^ And anyone who told you to skip a mammogram or prostate exam is an idiot. I am alive today because of a mammogram.

Comment

edit

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                This^^ And anyone who told you to skip a mammogram or prostate exam is an idiot. I am alive today because of a mammogram.
                It's not quite that simple. There is a very significant debate going on as to when it becomes useful to start regular mammogram screening. I'm not talking about the fringe medical community - this is under debate by the top breast cancer treatment groups. To date, data suggests that early mammograms only increase the "lead time" of diagnosis, not actually the overall long term survival. However, those data are generated using old therapeutic interventions. So it is unclear if early diagnosis now would offer increased survival benefit with new treatments. Since newer therapies are much better than old, that does seem likely to me. But if you dig in the literature there are a lot of legitimate questions.

I believe prostate exam recommendations are under fire right now as well.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chapstick View Post
                  On mammograms: Annals of Technology: The Picture Problem : The New Yorker

Interesting read. Medicine does what they can with what they have, but it's far from perfect.
                  No, not perfect but still very useful. When done by someone who knows their stuff, it saves lives. Lack of complete perfection in the technology is not a reason not to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    It's not quite that simple. There is a very significant debate going on as to when it becomes useful to start regular mammogram screening. I'm not talking about the fringe medical community - this is under debate by the top breast cancer treatment groups. To date, data suggests that early mammograms only increase the "lead time" of diagnosis, not actually the overall long term survival. However, those data are generated using old therapeutic interventions. So it is unclear if early diagnosis now would offer increased survival benefit with new treatments. Since newer therapies are much better than old, that does seem likely to me. But if you dig in the literature there are a lot of legitimate questions.

+1

Rampant Vitamin D deficiency is likely to be a contributing factor to many cancers and most Primal folks don't get enough sun, nor do most of us get enough Magnesium, which we need along with D. I supplement with both.
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post

But if it's unclear, why not go for safe rather than sorry?

The kind of studies you are talking about are the questions big HMOs and national health services in various countries ask. Is it "worth it" to test all of these people? For any one individual however, the benefits are unquestionably "worth it".

For example, my HMO recommends annual mammograms for women over 40 if there is a personal or family history of the disease. They only do every other year if there is none. I had mine done every year anyway. If I had waited two years instead of one, I would be dead. No two ways about it. I had a very fast growing invasive tumor and catching it early was the only thing that saved me. Now, from the corporate point of view, it might not be worth it to test twice as often, but for me it sure was.

Comment

edit

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          But if it's unclear, why not go for safe rather than sorry?

The kind of studies you are talking about are the questions big HMOs and national health services in various countries ask. Is it "worth it" to test all of these people? For any one individual however, the benefits are unquestionably "worth it".

For example, my HMO recommends annual mammograms for women over 40 if there is a personal or family history of the disease. They only do every other year if there is none. I had mine done every year anyway. If I had waited two years instead of one, I would be dead. No two ways about it. I had a very fast growing invasive tumor and catching it early was the only thing that saved me. Now, from the corporate point of view, it might not be worth it to test twice as often, but for me it sure was.
                          I think the issue is that it is not just a cost-benefit thing, but actually a risk-benefit thing. There are so many false positives that many, many women undergo biopsies, etc for nothing. Considering that medical mistakes are the sixth leading cause of death in the country now, it can be a real risk to undergo unnecessary biopsies. Also, there is speculation that increased radiation from the mammograms could in itself cause increased risk of cancer. Even most conservative groups have now reduced the recommendation to every other year from every year for women in their 40's in the US. I believe some countries have changed the recommendation from 40 to 50 for annual screens.

All that being said, my bias remains that even if early testing studies do not pan out right now, they will eventually prove to be useful. In particular, I think as non-radiation based screenings become more accurate, available, and affordable (such as breast MRI) that the risk-benefit ratio will improve dramatically.

I don't claim to have the answer by any means! I just know there may be legitimate reason to question whether or not to get a mammogram. Every woman has to make the best decision for herself.
                          Last edited by jammies; 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by tplank View Post
                            Deep Throat summed it all up: follow the money.
                            We must not have seen the same movie....
                            "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
                              We must not have seen the same movie....
                              Hahaha. Maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                              X