Loose vs. Lose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose vs. Lose

I figure since this forum has a lot of questions about weight loss, it might be good to clear up the confusion between losing weight and "loosing weight." You know, before I punch my monitor or something extreme like that. Ha ha! Ha?

Anwyay. Sometimes the best way to figure out the proper meaning and usage of a word, is to look at that word's antonym -

Lose is the opposite of words like win, acquire or gain.
    Loose is the opposite of tight.

So, we lose weight. And when we lose weight, sometimes our pants become too loose.

Capiche?

Thank you.

Comment

Every time I see this I want to rip out my eyes and crush them between my nostrils.
      The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
      Blog
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
        Every time I see this I want to rip out my eyes and crush them between my nostrils.
        Glad you didn't!
        Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Originally posted by ErinC View Post
          Capiche?
          +1

Also, thanks for teaching me how to spell capiche. I would have gone with capeesh or something and then felt foolish.
          No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
          -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

Live to give, baby. Live to give.

Comment

This blog has many grammar peeve posts. Hilarious stuff.
              Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better Than You at Everything
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by ErinC View Post
                I figure since this forum has a lot of questions about weight loss, it might be good to clear up the confusion between losing weight and "loosing weight." You know, before I punch my monitor or something extreme like that. Ha ha! Ha?

Anwyay. Sometimes the best way to figure out the proper meaning and usage of a word, is to look at that word's antonym -

Lose is the opposite of words like win, acquire or gain.
                Loose is the opposite of tight.

So, we lose weight. And when we lose weight, sometimes our pants become too loose.

Capiche?
                There used to be a grammar nazi thread where everyone would write in their spelling or grammar pet peeve. That was hilarious. Does anybody remember what that was called? Erin's post would make a worthy bump.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                  This blog has many grammar peeve posts. Hilarious stuff.
                  Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better Than You at Everything
                  Absolutely the best blog in all of the world. Allie owns the internet!!! It's kind of depressing how long it has been since we've got a new post out of her.

Comment

Thank you, I've been wanting to post the whole "when we lose weight, our pants become loose" thing for a while now
                    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Comment

Thank you for posting this. I've been having to restrain myself.

Comment

Presently I weight 175 #'s and would like to loose about 15 more lol
                        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

It seems I see this misuse of 'loose' all the time lately and it is so annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                            Presently I weight 175 #'s and would like to loose about 15 more lol
                            it seems you've loost the point of this thread.
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                              it seems you've loost the point of this thread.
                              No, GC's just kind of loose. Well, he is studying here in San Diego and one does hear rumors.

Comment

Working...
                              X