Cheat Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheat Day

Does anyone else have a cheat day once a week or every once in a while? I have one every Saturday. I usually have some sort of bread and ice cream or candy I find it keeps me straight the other 6 days of the week where I am pretty strict. 6 days a week I usually stay between 100-108 carbs and under 25g sugar. I feel like cheat day keeps me happy, it gives me something to look forward to. when I am having a week moment, it's usually all good when I think about cheat day... I am just wondering what other primals think of this.

Personally.. if you have a "cheat" day, it sounds like you are coming at it as a "diet" rather than a lifestyle. I would guess though that there may be some folks though that have a cheat day OR go ahead and partake on special occasions. It makes me physically feel like crap to do so though personally.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

A cheat day was helpful for me in the beginning, but now most of that stuff makes me sick. A cheat for me is usually one very small thing.
      Lifting Journal

Comment

Now that I am at my goal weight, I allow myself special circumstances cheats like having some sourdough bread while on vacation in San Francisco. While I was losing weight however, a cheat was just a distraction I didn't need. It made me focus more on what was missing instead of all the great foods I can have.
        Maybe a good cheat would be to allow yourself an over the top portion day on something that is still primal (a whole bag of pork rinds would be my choice).

Comment

I cheat with beer with some regularity. And it makes me feel kinda horrible afterward, but the EXPERIENCE of beer at a pub is just not one I want to live without! I drink much less of it than I used to, though.

I really and truly did lose the taste for bread, so I never crave it and thus have no inclination to "cheat" with it. But every now and then - I'm talking every few months or so - I get a big craving for pizza or pasta. It's probably the toppings that I crave most, not so much the pizza crust ot the pasta itself, truth be told. Well, this weekend, I had pizza AND pasta - gluten-free pizza on Friday and gluten-free pasta on Saturday (I don't normally eat g-f frankenfoods, but I knew I would keel over with intense belly pain if I had the real deal). Boy do I feel fogggy and horrible today. And I had a bad, baaaaad weekend, digestively speaking. I can't wait to get that crap out of my system and chow down on some good ol' meat and veg.

Anytime I've "cheated" with grains I've felt like ass, so I just don't. Beer being the exception.

Comment

I don't have a scheduled cheat day, but I will let myself slide a bit on special occasions. I can't cheat with gluten at all but when I'm going yo have sweets, I am going to have real ones, dammit!
            I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
            Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
            "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

If I eat something I know isn't great for me, I at least try to make it gluten free. I'm not as sensitive to it now, but early on it would really beat me up. So it stands to reason it's something I ought to avoid.

Otherwise? Yeah, I'm pretty close to my goal weight so I'll sometimes have (gluten free) ice cream or corn tortillas or something.
              Durp.

Comment

Nah, I don't think the traditional cheat days are for me. Its more of a mental thing, because I want to eat healthy, real food, so I wouldn't feel right eating junk food a whole day, and the few times I've tried it seemed kind of pointless to me. However, my idea of a cheat day would be eating the same things i eat just with more liberty, like sweetpotato pie, coconut pancakes or avocado ice cream. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Enilegna/hearts View Post
                  Nah, I don't think the traditional cheat days are for me. Its more of a mental thing, because I want to eat healthy, real food, so I wouldn't feel right eating junk food a whole day, and the few times I've tried it seemed kind of pointless to me. However, my idea of a cheat day would be eating the same things i eat just with more liberty, like sweetpotato pie, coconut pancakes or avocado ice cream. :P
                  Do you have a recipe for this, please, please, please?

Comment

I cheat from time to time, and I make it worth it. We went to the State Fair of Texas this weekend, and I indulged in the crazy fried treats. My reviews:

Fried Pork Ribs - Slow smoked ribs, battered and deep fried. I don't know how you can improve on good ribs, but they did. They were cajun style and spicy!

Fried butter - Basically balls of butter that are battered and fried. They poured some honey and cinnamon on top. Good, but not great. Definitely not worth $5.50 in coupons. It was pretty much like a sopapilla.

Fried PB&J Sandwich - THE GREATEST THING EVER!!!! Elvis Presley was on to something. It was a full PB&J on white bread, battered and deep fried. It was really good, and I will have it again next year.

Now, I probably won't cheat again until some time near Thanksgiving.

As far as alcohol goes, I do a lot of wine and drink gluten free beers on occasion. You can eat healthily and still enjoy the little things in life.

Comment

thanks everyone! I see that it just depends on your personal health/needs. For me, I do not get sick or have any type of stomach pains from "regular" foods. I have a stomach of steal! I went primal because it just made sense to me, but i do look forward to my cheat day. In the name of optimal health, i am going to see how I feel with only two cheats a month.

Comment

Yeah, it's not worth stressing over if you can handle regular foods sometimes.

I still say Johnny says it best here: Fear of Food | The Lean Saloon

Comment

I cheat when it feels totally worth it, but not on any sort of regular basis. And I don't consider it "cheating" because this is just how I eat now. It's not a "diet." When I want something that's not Primal now and then, I just go for it, don't beat myself up, and move on.

Like others have said, now that I've been eating this way for quite some time, there are fewer cheats that feel worth it. My taste buds have definitely changed and what used to taste good, now tastes like junk. For instance, we've had some mini-candy bars in the house for Halloween, and I haven't touched them. I know they'll taste like crap, so why bother? Now if there were an 85% dark, high-quality candy bar in the house, I would have a square and it would taste sooooo good!

Comment

I should note that many of the things people on here consider cheat, I do not.
                            Lifting Journal

Comment

Laura secord 85% dark chocolate. It makes my eyes roll back into my head. I have two of them for Samhain.
                              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Working...
                              X