Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Gas NOW than before!?

Excuse the topic- but I have to ask!

Background: I am 23, female, 5'5" and 118 pounds. I have been doing Primal (plus no dairy) for a month. I didn't start it to lose weight, but instead hoping to correct hormones (PCOS).

I started out with more nuts and seeds and fruit- but still pretty Low Carb. In the past two weeks I have transitioned to mainly just Meat, Veggies, Good Fats and Coconut Products. No more than one serving of nuts and fruit a day. Also one cup of coffee in the morning (which is a cutback from before).

From nearly the beginning - I have had horrible gas that I never had before. I used to eat yogurt, ezekiel bread, cheese, beans, etc without any form of gas. Now I cannot go one day without serious problems.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Or did anyone experience a similar situation?

Other points:

I feel that I probably have some candida overgrowth which is another reason that I have further refined the diet. But I think it has improved over the course of the last two weeks- the gas has not.

Out of desperation I looked up FODMAP the other day and realized I had been eating a ton of onions with many meals- in the past two days I have cut them out- still no improvement- however I did have some peas.... Could I really be having serious FODMAP issues now that I eat Primal?! Whereas it was never a problem before? I had a pretty health diet before, too. Plenty of veggies- not a lot of sugar etc.

I cut out eggs in the last two days out of curiosity- still no improvement.

Also, I have been taking a probiotic, and some enzymes from my PCOS natural supplements, I also used to drink a TON of kombucha- in my life before Primal- but weaned myself down in the last month fearing it was feeding candida. I also used to eat greek yogurt as a staple- twice a day- now I don't have those probiotics.

Ok... Any help would be much appreciated. Because, though I really do agree with the tenants of this lifestyle- it is very hard to justify continuing when I literally had NO IBS symptoms before- and now I am offensively Gassy!

Thanks in advance!

Any change in your diet can cause immediate GI changes (bloating, gas, etc). It may take a while before your body normalizes to the changes.

Comment

Try cutting out, or at least way back, on the coconut. It's really high in fiber but also hard for some people to digest. Also, fat can take a while to adjust to, if you weren't eating much before. Scale it back a little bit then slowly up your intake.
      Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

If you think you have candida, the changes could be leading to faster candida die off, which could be the reason you have the gas.
        Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys- still having issues- but trying out some more. I'll update soon!

Comment

I'll agree with Nutmeg - bacteria die-off can make for some serious gas. I'm taking 2 antibiotics right now and the first 3 days were a virtual Fart Fest, but now it's getting back to normal. It shouldn't be forever.

The others are right too, though. If you add in fat or fiber, you can get a lot of gas, and any dietary changes will take some time for your body to adjust to.
            Durp.

Comment

Working...
            X