Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you like it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How would you like it?

    Ok, so, if your family were overweight (although not so much any more in my mothers case, but very much with my sister and father)

    And you really wanted to help them, and you were 100% sure that going primal would be the answer..

    How do you think the best way to get into a suggestion/discussion with them about it?

    Dad is type 2 diabetic, and very overweight - he has a nasty cough all year round, naps througout the day, he snacks constantly and they eat the usual "carbs/protein/low fat" diet.

    My sister is also very overweight and lives on prepackaged micormeals, most of the time.

    My mum has recently lost quite a lot of weight, but she looks drawn and tired, her skin is dry and looks old, and shes practically starving herself on apples, 1 jacket potato, maybe a microwave meal, and at least 2 pints of beer a day.

    I've tried bringing up primal - but they are convinced that its because I am very active, that I am not huge. This is not the case! How can I get them to understand? I think they would struggle with the no grains... but I want them to see how easy it can be.. and how great you can feel...

    Is it a bad idea to get them copies of the PBP/21 day books for christmas?

    Im really worried about them, and frustrated that they wont listen to me!

    Mum actually told me that Ive let my diet "go to the dogs" the other day, when Im in the best shape I've ever been!

  • #2
    You can certainly give them the PB books, but they're not going to make the changes unless they are 100% ready to do so. Seeing you as a living example can help, but honestly it's a leap into the unknown that most people aren't willing to take. My mother is a good example. She's been developing all kinds of allergies to common foods in the last five years. She recently found out that she's fructose intolerant and I also had her read the anti-wheat chapter in the Paleo Solution. While she dropped most foods with fructose, she still hasn't given up bread and other wheat products. She lives in a small town in the southern US that is kind of a food desert when it comes to Primal food choices. Perhaps your family has similar concerns about readily available, cheap junk foods vs. more expensive whole foods? I used to live in Leeds and know full well how hard it is to eat right when the bigger grocery stores are few and far between.
    2011 - The year I went Primal
    Start weight: 198 / Waist: 32"
    CW: 158.5 / Waist: 28"
    GW: 145-ish
    Supplements: Calcium and O-3 in AM. Natural Calm, Valerian Root Extract and sublingual Melatonin in PM (for lifelong chronic insomnia).

    Comment


    • #3
      Sounds like they are not ready to listen, in which case it may be counterproductive. Instead of sending them the book, you might want to send them some "mainstream" science articles first, supporting the "fat isn't bad" "sugar is actually the bad one" and "bread isn't so great" ideas. I think that if you are not in the right mindset, Mark's book might come off as just one more lame diet book - "Atkins light, repackaged for yuppies" is how I've heard it described by one skeptic.
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't do it. Just do what you need for you. The other isn't your business.

        Comment


        • #5
          Print off Mark's Friday success stories and place them where you know they'll be found.

          They're pretty good testimonies to the PB.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
            Don't do it. Just do what you need for you. The other isn't your business.
            While I agree that you can't change people who don't want to be changed, don't you think it's OK to be concerned about family members? None of her business? Really? It is her business by dint of fact that she cares about these people. She may not be able to change their mindset, and she may be frustrated by that, but I think it's fine to try.

            Comment


            • #7
              Multi-part CBS look at Paleo: Paleo in the News The Primal Mind

              That'd be better than trying to get them to read various things. More people are willing to listen/watch "experts" than read about it. Just the sad state of our passive "entertain me and don't make me work for it" culture. Paleo comes across very very positively in the CBS series. Additionally, the topic's being approached from a semi-skeptical stance, which paints Paleo in an even better light.
              August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

              I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks everyone, for your thoughts.

                Theyre visiting for the day tomorrow, and because i just cant please everyone otherwise, we are going out for a meal, that way me and my hubby can have steak/roast chicken, and they can choose the low fat pitta bread/pasta option.

                Last time i went out and bought some gorgeous aberdeen angus sirloins from our local organic butcher, mum just pushed hers round the plate and said the fat in it was making her stomach turn. Not doing that again.

                I am however going to make some of the dips/nibbles from the quick and easy primal cookbook - we will be out gardening all day so I feel they will require snacks, and Im hoping in this less agressive form they will be eaten, and appreciated, and maybe I'll be able to wedge a foot in the door before it gets slammed in my face again.

                I wont buy the books. But I might just talk to them. gently. Its all very well saying only worry about myself but they are my parents, and my younger sister, and I just dearly want to help them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by englishrose View Post
                  Thanks everyone, for your thoughts.

                  Theyre visiting for the day tomorrow, and because i just cant please everyone otherwise, we are going out for a meal, that way me and my hubby can have steak/roast chicken, and they can choose the low fat pitta bread/pasta option.

                  Last time i went out and bought some gorgeous aberdeen angus sirloins from our local organic butcher, mum just pushed hers round the plate and said the fat in it was making her stomach turn. Not doing that again.

                  I am however going to make some of the dips/nibbles from the quick and easy primal cookbook - we will be out gardening all day so I feel they will require snacks, and Im hoping in this less agressive form they will be eaten, and appreciated, and maybe I'll be able to wedge a foot in the door before it gets slammed in my face again.

                  I wont buy the books. But I might just talk to them. gently. Its all very well saying only worry about myself but they are my parents, and my younger sister, and I just dearly want to help them.
                  I am in the same boat, my friend. I desperately want my mom and stepdad to take on Primal. Right now, I am planting seeds -- I send Primal success stories to my dad. I talk about it a little every now and then, but back off quickly. I did order a copy of Mark's new book for him and I plan to put together a primal starter kit of sorts.

                  p.s. IMHO, Christmas and Birthday gifts should only be things that people want -- never things we think they need. If you decide to give the book, give it on a non-specific day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
                    p.s. IMHO, Christmas and Birthday gifts should only be things that people want -- never things we think they need. If you decide to give the book, give it on a non-specific day.
                    I completely agree. It'd be in poor taste to use a gift-giving day as an excuse to push an agenda, even one that's well meaning.
                    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

                    I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by englishrose View Post
                      Ok, so, if your family were overweight (although not so much any more in my mothers case, but very much with my sister and father)

                      And you really wanted to help them, and you were 100% sure that going primal would be the answer..

                      How do you think the best way to get into a suggestion/discussion with them about it?

                      Dad is type 2 diabetic, and very overweight - he has a nasty cough all year round, naps througout the day, he snacks constantly and they eat the usual "carbs/protein/low fat" diet.

                      My sister is also very overweight and lives on prepackaged micormeals, most of the time.

                      My mum has recently lost quite a lot of weight, but she looks drawn and tired, her skin is dry and looks old, and shes practically starving herself on apples, 1 jacket potato, maybe a microwave meal, and at least 2 pints of beer a day.

                      I've tried bringing up primal - but they are convinced that its because I am very active, that I am not huge. This is not the case! How can I get them to understand? I think they would struggle with the no grains... but I want them to see how easy it can be.. and how great you can feel...

                      Is it a bad idea to get them copies of the PBP/21 day books for christmas?

                      Im really worried about them, and frustrated that they wont listen to me!

                      Mum actually told me that Ive let my diet "go to the dogs" the other day, when Im in the best shape I've ever been!
                      You simply cannot win. It makes me sad watching them eat SAD stuffs. Just smile, nod, and be "That" guy at the restaraunts (I prefer the texas roadhouse because they have grassfed steaks!)

                      I've lost 31 pounds, I've gotten stronger and I've been happier too! Just don't tell them that it works.

                      Just keep doing what you're doing.

                      When you finally have washboard abs, go buy a "Body by bacon" shirt and wear it proudly. They will get the message loud and clear.

                      Also, your mum is the person who birthed you. You're going against everything she's taught you as a parent and is now confused. Think of it from her point of view if you can.
                      Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-21-2011, 10:44 AM.
                      Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
                      Follow me on google+
                      Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
                      "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dave Ramsey calls it the "powdered butt" syndrome.

                        Once somebody's powdered your butt they don't want your opinion on sex, money, politics... and I believe it also holds true for nutrition.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                          Dave Ramsey calls it the "powdered butt" syndrome.

                          Once somebody's powdered your butt they don't want your opinion on sex, money, politics... and I believe it also holds true for nutrition.
                          +1
                          Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
                          Follow me on google+
                          Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
                          "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X