No announcement yet.

Is smoking cigarettes THAT bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I read Allen Carr's book "The easyway to stop smoking" and I stopped yesterday. Currently dealing with withdrawls but it is easier to handle once you understand the psychology of it.
    The reason it is so hard is because of FEAR. And we all know that FEAR leads to HATE and HATE leads to the Dark side. hehe.
    But once you understand why fear is the cause it makes the withdrawls bareable. I mostly just feel like I have a cloud in my head that keeps telling me to smoke... if that makes sense. But if you tackle quitting from a positive point of view it is not that hard.
    I have 2 things to close with.
    1. If you are a smoker that really wants to quit then read Allen Carr's book.
    2. If you have never been a nicotine addict (yes they are addicts, no differents then heroin junkies) then you have no idea what addicts"junkies" go through and please get off your high horse. Either be supportive or shut the hell up. Thanks
    Last edited by Tomtom; 10-25-2011, 02:17 AM. Reason: spelled psychology wrong... stupid word...

Comment

Good luck TomTom!

It's awesome you're tackling the Psychology of it. If it was as simple as a physical addiction then it would be easy to solve with a nicotine patch. So I think you're on the right track!

Comment

I have quit numerous times for years at a time and still come back to smoking. I quit for 3 years once, then started, then quit for 2 years, then started then quit another 2 years then started then quit for a year then started. I'm 35. I smoke now and I've come to the conclusion in my life that the psychological benefits of smoking for me outweigh the risks. I don't smoke an enormous amount and I now smoke organic cigarettes. I know its not perfect but I feel that processed sugar and carbs are much more dangerous.

I feel good smoking and I don't feel the need to stop. So I've made a decision that I will quit if I feel I need to but at the moment I feel good smoking my organic cigarettes. I don't smoke a whole cigarette at a time. I put it out halfway and smoke it later. The bad aspects of smoking for me are worth my peace of mind.

If you've never smoked then you will never know how it feels and how it centers you. I am confident I can quit anytime I feel I want to as I have many times in my life cold turkey. Just my perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by WTC7WasPulled View Post
          I have quit numerous times for years at a time and still come back to smoking. I quit for 3 years once, then started, then quit for 2 years, then started then quit another 2 years then started then quit for a year then started. I'm 35. I smoke now and I've come to the conclusion in my life that the psychological benefits of smoking for me outweigh the risks. I don't smoke an enormous amount and I now smoke organic cigarettes. I know its not perfect but I feel that processed sugar and carbs are much more dangerous.

I feel good smoking and I don't feel the need to stop. So I've made a decision that I will quit if I feel I need to but at the moment I feel good smoking my organic cigarettes. I don't smoke a whole cigarette at a time. I put it out halfway and smoke it later. The bad aspects of smoking for me are worth my peace of mind.

If you've never smoked then you will never know how it feels and how it centers you. I am confident I can quit anytime I feel I want to as I have many times in my life cold turkey. Just my perspective.
          "I can quit any time I want" is classic addict-speak. By the time you "feel you need to quit smoking", it's too late--the damage is done. Just bear that in mind while "centering" yourself w/a cigarette, and know that other methods such as meditation, exercise, etc., can center you and give you "peace of mind" w/o causing lung cancer, COPD, emphysema and so many more problems.

It is indeed your choice--just be absolutely sure you know what you're signing on for.

Comment

Originally posted by honeypig View Post
            "I can quit any time I want" is classic addict-speak. By the time you "feel you need to quit smoking", it's too late--the damage is done. Just bear that in mind while "centering" yourself w/a cigarette, and know that other methods such as meditation, exercise, etc., can center you and give you "peace of mind" w/o causing lung cancer, COPD, emphysema and so many more problems.

It is indeed your choice--just be absolutely sure you know what you're signing on for.
            Nono, it's okay because he's smoking organic cigarettes. And at least he isn't eating carbs. Now that would be a reckless health decision.

I can't believe he could write that post with a straight face. Like you said, smoke if you want, but trying to rationalize it like that is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
              Nono, it's okay because he's smoking organic cigarettes. And at least he isn't eating carbs. Now that would be a reckless health decision.

I can't believe he could write that post with a straight face. Like you said, smoke if you want, but trying to rationalize it like that is ridiculous.
              That was the most convoluted piece of rationalization I think I have ever read. As long as he smokes his organic cigs off in his cabin while writing his manifesto, cool. Just don't smoke around anybody else if you give a damn about them.

Comment

Yeah I have a friend who is smoking American Spirit brand now, like it's the healthy alternative.

Comment

It's really sad because he actually smokes more now because he feels less guilty about smoking a "natural" cigarette.

Comment

Health Correlator: The China Study II: How gender takes us to the elusive and deadly factor X

Comment

• Holistic Smoknig!

Someone where I work told me they try to live holistically and yet I see them run out on every break to smoke. Tobacco can be natural but so is poison ivy. Rocks are also natural but that doesn't mean you should drop one on your foot. People like this are the most aggravating because they try to twist good information to mean what they want it to mean. I can deal with someone who has the guts to say help I'm an addict and I haven't yet found the balls to quit but don't lie to yourself or me. Maybe some native tribes smoke and tend to live long lives but that also does not make it a good or even acceptable idea. I had a friend who was dieting and exercising. He use that as an excuse to make smoking OK and to have a cheat day once a week that was outright insane.
                      -Transform!

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Comment

• I haven't read through the enitre thread. I just wanted to throw this in there in case no one mentioned it. Smoking cigarettes is very different from smoking something that is straight from the ground. That could be tobacco or marijuana...whatever. Cigarette companies put massive amounts of chemicals in cigs. If you were to grow your own stuff, I don't think smoking would be all THAT harmful. It wouldn't be good, but it wouldn't cause millions of deaths like cigs too.

Plus, frequency plays a role in how bad smoking is for you. Treat it as a treat or enlightening thing, and it won't hurt too much. Smoke a pack a day, and you die quicker.

Comment

• I hate, hate, hate it when people revive threads, but I figured this was a decent enough post. Thanks to this thread, I've decided to completely give up tobacco- except for maybe an occasional cigar or rolled cigg with friends. Past two years, I chewed off and on, and my last can was gone in less than 4 days(equivalent or slightly more than a pack of cigarettes). I've heard multiple times that chew is about 3-4 times as addictive because it has morw nicotine and the way its consumed. I've been off chew 5 days now, but started smoking a little (I found half a pack, that lasted 2 days). Today, I didn't have a cigarette, and hopefully yesterday will have been the last time. Plus, being an asthmatic does not help things.

Thanks to all the countless posters for pounding into my head how stupid it is.

Comment

• Your lungs are adapted to breathe fresh air not tobacco smoke. It's un-natural to smoke. The smoke is loaded with toxic gases which flow right into you blood stream every time you take a drag. All that shite in your bloodstream, in every fibre of your being is not good in anyway.
                            www.paleotrainingbible.com

Comment

• Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                              I haven't read through the enitre thread. I just wanted to throw this in there in case no one mentioned it. Smoking cigarettes is very different from smoking something that is straight from the ground. That could be tobacco or marijuana...whatever. Cigarette companies put massive amounts of chemicals in cigs. If you were to grow your own stuff, I don't think smoking would be all THAT harmful. It wouldn't be good, but it wouldn't cause millions of deaths like cigs too.

Plus, frequency plays a role in how bad smoking is for you. Treat it as a treat or enlightening thing, and it won't hurt too much. Smoke a pack a day, and you die quicker.
                              Why is it that people stop to think when it comes to "natural things"?
                              Its not fucking natural to ignite ANYTHING and inhale the smoke, doesnt matter if its random grass, weed, cigarettes or some fucking chemical cocktail. Its not even the ingredients of the material that cause the problems with smoking, its just the fact that lungs are _not_ for smoke.

If you failures are too weak to quit i dont even care, stop making pathetic excuses though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nekron View Post
                                Its not fucking natural to ignite ANYTHING and inhale the smoke, doesnt matter if its weed
                                Weed is an herb which is meant to be eaten.

Comment

Working...
                                X