Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cold shower (without getting sick)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cold shower (without getting sick)?

Hello,

I have read a lot about the wonders of cold showers but I am not sure how these are supposed to work. Should I alternate between warm and cold water? For how long? Should I always start and end with warm water? Should the water be warmer/colder on the head?
    Are we sure that cold showers do not get you sick (especially now that winter is coming)? And how cold is cold? I have read of people taking daily baths in ice-cold water (0 degrees C)... seriously?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fra0039; 10-17-2011, 03:43 AM.

Personally, I can think of NO benefit to taking a shower at a temperature that you don't like. Enjoy your shower at YOUR favorite temperature. Much less stress.

Comment

Originally posted by fra0039 View Post
      Are we sure that cold showers do not get you sick (especially now that winter is coming)? And how cold is cold? I have read of people taking daily baths in ice-cold water (0 degrees C)... seriously?

Thanks!
      Cold weather/being cold does NOT give you a cold/make you sick. Being exposed to pathogens(typically viruses during cold/flu season) will lead to disease if your immune system fails to fight it off. Stress can compromise your immune system.

The only reason cold weather is associated with cold/flu is because viruses survive longer outside the body in a colder/drier environment characteristic of the winter months, and because people are sometimes packed more densely together indoors during those months. In the summer months when it's warm you don't see colds/flu simply because it's too warm for effective disease transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
        Cold weather/being cold does NOT give you a cold/make you sick. Being exposed to pathogens(typically viruses during cold/flu season) will lead to disease if your immune system fails to fight it off. Stress can compromise your immune system.

The only reason cold weather is associated with cold/flu is because viruses survive longer outside the body in a colder/drier environment characteristic of the winter months, and because people are sometimes packed more densely together indoors during those months. In the summer months when it's warm you don't see colds/flu simply because it's too warm for effective disease transmission.
        True, that and the decreased strenght of sun rays, with consequent decreased levels of vitamin D. But it is also true that exposition to cold temperatures sresses the body, making it easier to get sick. That is what I meant

Comment

Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
          Personally, I can think of NO benefit to taking a shower at a temperature that you don't like. Enjoy your shower at YOUR favorite temperature. Much less stress.
          Yeah but I feel much better after a cold shower, compared to a warm one. Even if a warm shower feels much better while taking it

Comment

Exactly what I'm saying! Do what benefits YOU!

Comment

When I was stationed in Korea I discovered that if I took a scalding hot shower in the summer (a hot as I could stand) it seemed cooler when I went outside. Conversely, if I took a tepid (barely warm) shower in winter, it seemed to be not as cold and I could bear the cold weather a little better.

But as the other posters have said, do whatever works for you.
              52 year old Male
              Goal: 185lbs
              April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

As for health benefits, cold water closes your pores so it's been said that you should finish your shower with a shot of cold water to close your pores, both in your hair & skin.
                Depression Lies

Comment

For the thermogenic properties (burning body fat due to cold) following a shower, take a warm shower and do what you normally do like wash your body and your hair. When you are done with the business end of the shower, simply start reducing the amount of hot water in the mix a little bit at a time until you think you can't go any colder. Stay there for about 3 minutes and get out. Each day, try to stay longer or let it get a little colder. I found by simply doing this simple process I excellerated fat loss after a plateu of about three weeks in a manner of a week and a half. (21% to 18% BF).

Take a read here: Cold Water Therapy | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
                    For the thermogenic properties (burning body fat due to cold) following a shower, take a warm shower and do what you normally do like wash your body and your hair. When you are done with the business end of the shower, simply start reducing the amount of hot water in the mix a little bit at a time until you think you can't go any colder. Stay there for about 3 minutes and get out. Each day, try to stay longer or let it get a little colder. I found by simply doing this simple process I excellerated fat loss after a plateu of about three weeks in a manner of a week and a half. (21% to 18% BF).

Take a read here: Cold Water Therapy | Mark's Daily Apple
                    I do this most days, just to make the outside feel not so cold and keep myself from constantly turning the water temp up, which causes itchy skin for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
                      This! Although if someone told me cold showers would make me look younger, I might feel compelled.
                      I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                      Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                      "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

I usually lather up warm and take a nice long rinse in cold water
                        Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Cold showers are not for everyone. But if you never give them a proper try, you'll never know if they're for you or not.

The first day was the hardest. Just stepping into the shower was like jumping off a cliff. I frantically sang a song to keep myself distracted while scrubbing spastically. When I got out, the warm air felt very nice.

The second time, I was actually able to stay in the shower long enough to clean my whole body. I did a full-body clench and that seemed to help me adapt. Still singing a song.

By the end of the first week, it wasn't so bad any more.

Now I've been taking exclusively cold showers for almost two years, and it's not difficult at all. There's that initial shivery moment, but I enjoy that and my body responds instantly with massive thermogenesis. When I step out of the shower, I'm steaming hot from the inside and it really feels fantastic. I wouldn't attempt it right out of bed, though. I always do a little bit of activity first to get my metabolism up.

Oddly, I can no longer tolerate warm showers. They feel smothering.

Comment

My strategy lately has been to take a super-fast (like one minute or less) cold/cool shower in the morning to help wake me up and get invigorated, and sometimes a warm shower in the evening to help me relax and get sleepy. But I have noticed that since I started doing the cold water showers, the maximum temperature I can tolerate in the warm showers has been dropping.
                            "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

An perspective on cold showers here.
                              Personally, I like them within reason. In other words, most days I finish with a cold rinse but on days I don't want to, I don't.
                              My primal journal that I don't update enough:
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Comment

Working...
                              X