Sore throat remedy please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sore throat remedy please?

Hi guys - not sure if this is another carb flu related thing (not sure becuase I have been really low carb for over a month now... but I have a sore throat... dont really want to use honey but am wondering if anyone has any ideas? Im taking a multivitamin and fish oil.... eat plenty of dark leafy greens and berries.... maybe I need a blast of vit c?....

Thanks in advance
    Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

Ginger tea - grate ginger, put it in boiling water and let it infuse for 5 minutes. I take a piece about as big as my thumb, just a bit thicker, and it is good for 3-4 cups of tea. You can drink it like that or with lemon.

If you need a vitamin blast, I suggest sauerkraut or kimchi.

Comment

a teaspoon of whiskey as needed

yes, i'm serious

kills the pain-germs fast
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Or, if you don't want or can't have the whisky, then try gargling with salt and water - as hot as you can stand it! Tastes vile, but works wonders.

Comment

Throat Coat tea made with Slippery Elm bark is amazing. You can find it in health food stores.

Also take 15000 iu Vitamin D3 for 3 days to boost your immune system.

Comment

There's a bad cold going around so I doubt it's carb flu. As has been said, salt water gargle, Vit C, rest, drink plenty of fluids. I've been known to dissolve an aspirin in the salt water as well. Gross as hell, but if it's really bad.
            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Fresh sage tea with honey. That's been a lifesaver for me when I felt too horrible to go out and buy something, but there was sage in the garden.

Comment

Tea with rum and honey is our go-to method. Cannot wait to give some of these others a try!
                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Fresh homemade bone broth.
                  "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

::sigh::

Lots of bad advice here, particularly the calls for hot to boiling water rinses, gargles, and the use of salt.

I've always had very bad sinuses so post-nasal drip is a fact of life for me and post-nasal drip means sore throats. I used to sing and act when I was younger, and despite my good natural technique, constantly being congested was a horrible impediment. Saline flushes were recommened but they only irritated my soft palate, so I suffered with it.

One day, I read an interview with Dave Grohl of The Foo Fighters - an unlikely source, indeed - who was talking about how he prepares for concerts and gets over sore throats. Basically, he laid down the following strong dose of anti-CW:

The lining of the throat is no different than the lining on the inside of your mouth; in fact, the skin of your sinus passages, of which your mouth and throat are ancillary parts of, are no different than the skin on any part of your body if more delicate. Now, would you pour boiling water on your arm or in your mouth? Why would you gargle with it then?

As for salt, something about open wounds come to mind. Yes, I've had raw skin and blisters on my soft palate and throat due to infections and/or post-nasal drip.

Your sore throat is the result of the lining of your throat being irritated and thus inflamed so the last thing you want to do is induce a minor to major burn by pouring hot/boiling water on it thus exaserbating the condition. What you want to do is only heat your liquid just to body temperature. Tea, herbs, broth, steeped lemon slices (be careful with too much - acid), whatever. Despite your objections, honey is really one of the best things you can take in this case, because it acts like a salve. No dairy (obviously); it only makes mucus! You want to dissolve the crud causing the sore throat, flush it to your stomach, and soothe the irritated skin in your throat so it can heal.
                    Read. The. Book.

Comment

Tea and honey... add rum or whiskey if you like...

Comment

When I get a sore throat I drink coffee with coconut milk, cinnamon and raw cocoa powder.

Comment

I've never heard of using hot water for a salt-water gargle. I've always used tap water. It's the same effect as bathing a wound in the ocean. Not sure exactly what it is, but the healing is amazing.

Also- copious amounts of lemon tea- whether it's a tea bag or a squirt of lemon juice in hot water. Can be drunk with or without honey (but isn't everything better with? Particlularly when you don't feel well?) Also, honey does have mild anti-bacterial properties. Might not be a bad compromise given that you've got something in you that apparently shouldn't be there.
                          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

thanks guys i still feel like death even using some of your natural tips.... thanks for responding though and it looks like this thing may need to just run its course
                            Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              Throat Coat tea made with Slippery Elm bark is amazing. You can find it in health food stores.

Also take 15000 iu Vitamin D3 for 3 days to boost your immune system.
                              Kitty,

I totally agree with Adrian.

However, after 3 days at 15,000 IU then stay on 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 for 3 months, & get your blood tested to verify your ng/ml level is at 70 to 80. Adjust your dosage as required, each 1,000 IU change will adjust your blood level by 10.
                              Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
                              http://tinyurl.com/Vitamin-D-Report
                              Vitamin D optimization thoughts | Jack Kruse

Unless you get a LOT of direct sunshine you will need Vitamin D3 supplements for life.

Best to you,
                              Grizz

Comment

Working...
                              X