Cheap Paleo/Primal - Under 50 bucks a week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Paleo/Primal - Under 50 bucks a week

So my wife complained that I spend too much money on food.

Hence this thread.

This is where you can post your grocery lists and show people that everyone can purchase organic foods for really cheap.

Don't believe those people who say "whole foods/whole paycheck."

Grocery list today:

Whole foods:
    3x Yams ($4.13)
    1x Coconut Yogurt ($3.99) [indulgence]
    2x Avocado ($3.00)
    Total came to ($11.12)

Trader Joe's: (Yeah I went to trader joe's too)
    6x Organic Bananas ($1.74) (woohoo!)
    Spaghetti Squash ($2.74)
    Organic Grapes ($2.99)
    Organic Baby Carrots ($1.69)
    4x Organic Grassfed Beef Patties ($6.49)
    Bag o' Brussel Sprouts ($2.49)
    Organic Button Mushrooms ($1.99)
    Organic Raspberries ($3.49)
    Eggs (flaxseed fed/pasturised/organic) ($3.99)
    Butternut Squash ($1.99)
    Total came to ($29.65)

All in all 29.65 + 11.12 = $40.77

And my wife said I was expensive .

This of course doesn't include the protein shake I've been using which is techincally 30$, but that's just protein powder with lots of vitamins. Who's counting?
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Food is fuel for your engine. Don't use low octane!

Comment

I wish I had all of those good stores where I live!
      I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

The food choices are fairly good, but that's nowhere near a week's worth of food. That's about 2 days worth of protein(if that) and 4, maybe 5 days' worth of produce for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
          The food choices are fairly good, but that's nowhere near a week's worth of food. That's about 2 days worth of protein(if that) and 4, maybe 5 days' worth of produce for me.
          I have some leftover pork shoulder that's frozen.

I only eat maybe 3 eggs a day at most, 1 grassfed beef patty a day, and the food holds me over good. I've had to re-listen to my body when I skip meals too.

Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
          Food is fuel for your engine. Don't use low octane!
          Just know that one of my goals is weight loss, I use LOTS of coconut oil, and I eat 2 meals a day or until I'm full. Also, those squashes are HUGE.

I also do intermittent fasting 3-4 times a week on days where I'm not working out.

Last thing, I have 8 dollars left to budget for emergency bacon if necessary. Get some Emergency Bacon Rations ftw.
          Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM.
          Follow me on google+

Comment

I just had my shopping trips Wednesday and yesterday. Wednesday I put about $15 into veggies/fruits at the farmer's market, getting plenty for the week. Then yesterday I hit Whole Foods and Publix -- spent about $20 at WF and $40 at Publix. Actual cost at Publix was more like $20, considering I stocked upon EVOO (BOGO sale) and Lindt 90% (2 for $4, I got six). At Publix it was onions, sweet potatoes, chicken breast, eggs, black olives. Not a lot.
            Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
            -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Here's what I get:

Whole Foods
              ~2 lb. grass fed ground beef, ~$16
              0.5 lbs. grass fed beef liver ~$2.50
              2.5 lb pack organic chicken thighs ~$8
              1.25 lbs lamb sausage ~$8
              Spring mix clamshell ~$6

Trader Joe's
              5 avocados ~$7.50
              Cherry tomatoes $2.50
              Persian cucumbers $2.50
              Celery hearts $2.50
              Red bell pepper $2.00
              Cage-free eggs $2.50

So that's about $60 for the week, plus odds and ends that I don't run out of weekly, like EVOO and balsamic vinegar and kerrygold butter and potatoes and non-fluoridated water. I'm sure on average I land at around $80, taking into account treats and whatnot.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I'd encourage you to go to Costco.

Typically at Costco I buy:
                • Brussels Sprouts ($1.50 / lb.)
                • Frozen Chicken Breast ($1.23 / lb.)
                • Rader Farms Triple Berry (Frozen Blueberries, Raspberries, and Marionberries) - $2.00 / lb
                • Greek Yogurt (32 oz. $6.00ish)
                • Baby Spinach Leaves (16 cups - $2.14)
                • Certified Organic Ground Beef - ~3.50 / lb.

Eggs there are stupid expensive, though.
                Traditionally the berries and yogurt lasts me a week (I buy two yogurts at a time), which mean my breakfast costs me roughly $2.00 a day. That's $14. The Brussel Sprouts, Spinach, and Chicken make a great salad, for roughly $2.00 a day, that's $28.

I do the Leptin Protocol Reset, so I don't eat dinner (I am never up 18 hours day to get three meals), so I can get most of my meals done at Costco for under $30 a week.

As far as the "It's not organic vegetables!" bit, I agree. "Organic pesticides," have been proven to be carcinagenic (certain types), and in general unhealthy. I'll choose the CW produce and avoid those terrible organic pesticides.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggie View Post
                  As far as the "It's not organic vegetables!" bit, I agree. "Organic pesticides," have been proven to be carcinagenic (certain types), and in general unhealthy. I'll choose the CW produce and avoid those terrible organic pesticides.
                  I figured it was the lesser of two evils. Meh, I like the organic berries better and my wife seems to think so too.

I have no problem going to Sams club, because I can go there. I will go take a look.
                  Follow me on google+

Comment

I spent the last 8 dollars on some high quality bacon. Win. Been full on what I have for the past few days. The key is always variety and preparation.
                    Follow me on google+

Comment

Can you plant your own little garden? That will eventually help with some of the food costs. I can't in my yard because the deer eat the plants, but it is a good way to get your veggies cheap
                      Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get~Brother Dave Gardner

Comment

@Josh: Do you know about the excellent uncured "ends and pieces" bacon at TJ's? It's high-quality bacon at a fraction of the cost. A full pound for $2.99. (Usually a pack of bacon slices isn't even 1 pound.) Once you go "ends and pieces," you never go back! Fair warning: This stuff is super-fatty.

Trader Joe's

I'm surprised I'm not seeing sardines (packed in OO) on these lists. Big nutritional bang for the buck.
                        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                          @Josh: Do you know about the excellent uncured "ends and pieces" bacon at TJ's? It's high-quality bacon at a fraction of the cost. A full pound for $2.99. (Usually a pack of bacon slices isn't even 1 pound.) Once you go "ends and pieces," you never go back! Fair warning: This stuff is super-fatty.

Trader Joe's

I'm surprised I'm not seeing sardines (packed in OO) on these lists. Big nutritional bang for the buck.
                          omfg that bacon ends is delicious!!!!. Super fatty is not a problem. Trying to hit a 50/30/20 ratio is hard as hell some times.

Also i would plant my own gardin, but that ruins the point of the excercise. Next week im going local farm. I got a few egg plants im gonna fry up tonight!
                          Follow me on google+

Comment

Sardines, or other canned fish should definitely be on a most-nutrtional-value-per-dollar list. While I love fresh, wild salmon I don't love the $16/lb price tag, there's no denying the effectiveness of canned, omega-3 rich fish as a great nutritional source at a reasonable price. Not to mention convenient - just open a can, flake it over your greens/veggies, and you've got a great salad that makes a whole meal.
                            Last edited by jsa23; 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
                              Sardines, or other canned fish should definitely be on a most-nutrtional-value-per-dollar list. While I love fresh, wild salmon I don't love the $16/lb price tag, there's no denying the effectiveness of canned, omega-3 rich fish as a great nutritional source at a reasonable price. Not to mention convenient - just open a can, flake it over your greens/veggies, and you've got a great salad that makes a whole meal.
                              I love my sardines...unfortunately I've found it's pretty much the fastest way to clear a room. I don't know anyone besides myself who's able stand even stand the smell.

Comment

Working...
                              X