Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Rant and Chicago Doctor Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    edit
    Last edited by Chapstick; 11-13-2011, 09:37 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post

      Are you diabetic? No? Then you have no need to get your goddamn HbA1C tested. Just for one example.
      That's interesting. My doctor always tests me for this during my regular check-ups. I thought it was a standard test. Wonder why she does that, since I've never had a problem with blood sugar or anything. Maybe the test is standard for fat people like me?
      I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

      Comment


      • #18
        Give me a break - you guys both sound like 8 year old boys. For example on the vitamins you are both full of crap - Of course much of a multi-vitamin is wasted in your urine......but of course that does not mean ALL of it is. Many physicians believe that vitamins are unnecessary but that doesn't mean that a) they are right b) they need to be so fricking smug about it.

        There is a lot of crazy physician bashing that goes on on this board, but lets not forget that there is a ton of very bad medicine that gets practiced in this country as well. The pendulum has swung from blindly trusting your physician as a god to treating them as if they are morons. Again, the truth lies somewhere in the middle and is very context dependent.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

        http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

        Comment


        • #19
          I've heard and read very good things about Dr. Mercola: Dr. Joseph Mercola | Natural Health Center

          He's in Hoffman Estates, not sure if that' s too far for you. Good luck, I am going to switch to his practice, I'm just looking for someone who will look at my whole health rather than a sum of symptoms to be treated. I'm very healthy and want to stay that way for a long time!

          Comment


          • #20
            OP~
            In answer to your question you can order your own blood tests here:
            Health One Inc.
            Discount Online Blood Chemistry Tests & Results, Wellness & Anti Aging Direct Access Laboratory Testing

            FWIW, the main blood test I'm personally interested in is my Vitamin D level. Order the 25 (OH)D test.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
              Are you diabetic? No? Then you have no need to get your goddamn HbA1C tested. Just for one example.
              Fasting glucose levels can be the last marker to rise in regards to diabetes. Postprandial levels, as well as HbA1c, can alert you(general), in regards to poor glucose control, before the standard FBGL. This is especially true/helpful for people with a predisposition to diabetes.

              Diabetes runs rampant in my family. Four years ago my FBGL, fasting insulin, and HbA1c, while "normal", were creepy up. I used that information to compel myself to change. I get these markers checked annually and they continue to improve.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                Fasting glucose levels can be the last marker to rise in regards to diabetes. Postprandial levels, as well as HbA1c, can alert you(general), in regards to poor glucose control, before the standard FBGL. This is especially true/helpful for people with a predisposition to diabetes.

                Diabetes runs rampant in my family. Four years ago my FBGL, fasting insulin, and HbA1c, while "normal", were creepy up. I used that information to compel myself to change. I get these markers checked annually and they continue to improve.
                Thanks, that is my situation as well. Well, maybe it isn't rampant in my family, but Adult diabetes is in both sides of my family, and my mother is pre-diabetic (and probably diabetic by better standards). You've exactly stated my reasoning behind that test.

                To add to the story, I also have histories of stroke and arterial blockages in my family. Not only has my father had high cholesterol for years, both of my brothers are on statins with high blood pressure medication. Now, they both have sub-optimal diets and exercise programs, but are empirically not healthy at the moment. Given the problems with statins, I think it's possible I will have high cholesterol (5 months on this diet, was previously high). However, I don't want to go on statins under any circumstances, and certainly don't want to be pressured to do so by a physician that doesn't even know that the LDL number in a standard lipid panel isn't a true "measurement" but is instead a calculation that is incorrect when Trigs are low. Because of this diet, I suspect my trigs are low. Because of my family history, I want additional assurances about the "type" of LDL I am dealing with. It has also been well documented that some people end up with high LDL numbers, even with the proper adjustments for Friedenwald vs. Iranian calculations, and even if a VAP test is used. a few things can be adjusted there - exercise more regularly (also affecting HbA1C, obviously), I take smaller doses of niacin at the moment, but could boost those, I could add copper to my supplements, something I've been considering. The logic being that I've removed most of the toxins and pathogens from my diet, and may have a problem with malnourishment that can be fixed.

                I do consider LDL to be a marker of various things - one widespread vascular injury, but would like to pinpoint that with more accuracy. As I noted, I've removed most of the negatives from my diet in regards to cholesterol, BUT some studies have shown that tissue 3/6 omega ratios can take up to 6 years to readjust. My diet was lousy for a long time and very heavy with omega 6's - much like that of my siblings and father. While it's possible that other thigns are to blame for the vascular disease, bringing the high LDL, I think it's important to find that level of 3/6, but also of the general inflammation to see if it is getting better over time. I suspect it is quite bad now, but I'm operating without solid info here. One readjustment based on the levels of inflammation and ratios would be to up my levels of fish oil, and to be much more drastic in choosing grass fed meats, and likely staying away from things like Chicken for a while (along with vegetable oils, that have already been excluded).

                Tracking long term inflammation isn't likely something to yield results tomorrow, but is instead looking out in a 10-20 year horizon. My famiy's stroke/arterial blockage events happened after the age of 55, but worrying about vascular damage isn't something that is best left until I am 55.

                Additionally, I've had a very high stress life for the past 5 years. My wife has a chronic illness and, like many, our situation has been affected heavily by the recession of the past couple of years. We've started to come through it, perhaps stronger than before, but my ability to process stress has been drastically changed through that time and those experiences. Funny, the niacinamide helps, but I suspect my hormones and Cortisol levels in particular are problematic. One thing I've noticed is that my exercise recovery time remains poor and some workouts can have a big effect on mood for days - there are ways to treat that, but I'd rather know if that in particular is the problem.

                thanks again for your comment Marcadav, and sorry about the rambling additions, I just wanted to clarify my viewpoint on what I am trying to achieve.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by spincycle View Post
                  I've heard and read very good things about Dr. Mercola: Dr. Joseph Mercola | Natural Health Center

                  He's in Hoffman Estates, not sure if that' s too far for you. Good luck, I am going to switch to his practice, I'm just looking for someone who will look at my whole health rather than a sum of symptoms to be treated. I'm very healthy and want to stay that way for a long time!
                  Thanks Spincycle, I will check him out.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    OP~
                    In answer to your question you can order your own blood tests here:
                    Health One Inc.
                    Discount Online Blood Chemistry Tests & Results, Wellness & Anti Aging Direct Access Laboratory Testing

                    FWIW, the main blood test I'm personally interested in is my Vitamin D level. Order the 25 (OH)D test.

                    Thanks Dragonfly. Much appreciated.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by sassafras View Post
                      As for D3, get some sun every day, if you live in a sunny area or eat liver. So much better than supplementation.
                      The OP is in CHICAGO. Not that hard to figure out adequate D from sun isn't going to be sufficient most of the year.

                      Mark's annual 30-day challenge has a lot of positive aspects, but the annual influx of argumentative trolls is rather tedious.

                      Good luck, ChicagoPaleo! I seem to recall there are quite a few folks from Chicago around here -- the forum search feature works okay if you want to look for more people who might have the local info that would be most useful for you.
                      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

                      beachrat's new primal journal

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by beachrat View Post
                        The OP is in CHICAGO. Not that hard to figure out adequate D from sun isn't going to be sufficient most of the year.

                        Mark's annual 30-day challenge has a lot of positive aspects, but the annual influx of argumentative trolls is rather tedious.

                        Good luck, ChicagoPaleo! I seem to recall there are quite a few folks from Chicago around here -- the forum search feature works okay if you want to look for more people who might have the local info that would be most useful for you.
                        i've been here longer than you. not part of whatever annual influx to which you refer. i've just kept quiet/been too busy for active forum use. also, really not being argumentative. sun in summer, even in chicago, is plenty. when there isn't much sun, there are other natural ways to get d. i was honestly trying to convey another perspective. i don't do snarky.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X