Eggs, I can't stand them.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grok View Post
    I would only eat the yolks raw. Egg whites contains toxins which need to be cooked IIRC.
    Second that, and yes, I eat them raw in homemade mayo all the time.

I USED TO HATE EGGS TOO! I hated all the things you hate about them. I have learned to tolerate them well, and even enjoy them to some extent. My theory was this: a baby has to try something 10-15 times before you can actually tell if he/she dislikes something, and is not just rejecting something new. So I figured, same for me.

Easiest way: medium boil eggs (if the yolk has a green edge around it - it is over done). Then, slice them up and mix them in with your salad. Start with one. You will hardly even taste them. I have learned that I like yolks this way and that the white parts are the parts that taste the strongest.

Buy FRESH LOCAL eggs! It makes a major taste/health difference.

Make homemade mayo with raw (only if fresh/local eggs) egg yolks in it (oil is olive, bacon fat, or coconut butter), and make some tuna fish with the mayo. Keeps for about a week in fridge. Make some chicken salad with it too.

Then: move on to other egg dishes. I can't eat eggs plain. I have to cook them in ghee (2T), about three eggs, along with a saute mixture that I keep on hand (bell peppers, onions, squash, garlic, mushrooms), and warm a little up every day. I then eat one small bite of egg on a fork with some veggies on it to cut taste/texture. It works. So does tabasco. Or cheese if you do dairy (I don't).

P.S. I can only stand about 3 eggs scrambled per breakfast. HAve some meat along with veggie mixture too (broken up sausage).

Comment

I am 54 years old. My entire life I have avoided eating eggs because they made me throw up. They really did, when I was three years old. My mother stopped offering them to me because it's not a lot of fun when your child pukes at the table. It's best to avoid having that happen.

Several months ago, when I decided to eat low carb (which I did before shifting to Paleo), I was having trouble finding things I wanted to eat for breakfast. I realized that everything would be simpler if only I liked eggs. I decided to make myself an omelet. I would try it, and if I didn't like it the Airedale Terrierists would have a FABULOUS morning.

Lo and behold, it was delicious!!!! I realized at that point that eggs were apparently amongst the list of things that my mother really cannot cook well (there are many things). I haven't looked back since. Farmer's Market Omelets are an integral part of my menu.

I have always been a picky eater. Moving to a Paleo diet and lifestyle has resulted in me trying foods that I always dismissed as not being things I liked. I'm trying to eat locally grown, in season foods that I procure at the farmer's market. A side effect of this has been me learning to cook and eat new things. I'm really enjoying the adventure.

LG

Check out my blog about a post-menopausal woman's Paleo journey. Includes recipes, reviews, links to interesting research, and musings about the journey. http://paleopassage.com

Comment

Originally posted by LizardGurl View Post
        I realized at that point that eggs were apparently amongst the list of things that my mother really cannot cook well (there are many things).
        ha ha holy krap! I honestly think that might be the reason it was so easy when i was a kid to say that i hated steak. Or stew. Or sweet potatoes. Or lots of things. My mother just isn't that great a cook. Some things she does fine (like the thanksgiving turkey). But honestly she doesn't even like cooking so i don't understand why she bothered. I think i started hating milk a lot b/c she couldn't tell if it was bad or not. So it really always tasted bad to me. I started drinking soda ASAP!

lucky for me, at least she could cook eggs!

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll try some of these ideas. Probably start with the one egg in my salad mix idea first. I would like to like eggs, for the convenience at breakfast if nothing else. (A bagel was nice for that, before I realized how bad they were.) We'll see how it goes.
          Warning: I'm an anarcho-capitalist political activist. It gets into everything.

Journal

Comment

As a lifelong cereal eater, switching to eggs for b'fast was tough. I too couldn't handle the whole egginess of it all.

But then in a fit of inspiration my wife added some organic tomato pasta sauce in with my scrambled eggs. Now I'm addicted. I can have them anytime. Last week I even enjoyed a great big delicious gogg (goose egg).

So that was the key for me - adding in tomatoes.

Comment

Working...
            X