Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Biggest Loser

Y'know--

I know that there is so much about this show that I should abhor, especially since it's so ensconced in CW values for weight loss.

But dammit, I can't help but being ABSOLUTELY addicted to it.

Anyone else?

I'm guilty. I watch it, I scream at the television, swear I'll never watch it again, and then turn it on the next week. *sigh*

Comment

I know. I watched and thought "too bad they are not being taught to live primally"
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Yep. It's a guilty pleasure.

Anna as a trainer literally made me LOL. Seriously? I'm not sure being a pro tennis player necessarily translates to being able to help obese people lose weight and stay motivated. There aren't many men that turn my head, but that new trainer Dolvett had my eyes bugging out of my head! He can train me any day, CW or not. And I always love Bob and his vegan, tattoo'd self.
        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

i used to watch it, but now i really can't stand it (though admittedly it's been a while since i've seen an episode). it feels like it's all about the drama and the contest, and not really about health. the contestants starve themselves and exercise entirely too much, and the fact that people take off as much time as they do from work to lose weight is simply unrealistic. but, i suppose if it inspires people to look at their lifestyle, then it has some good qualities.

i think a better option is a show called "heavy"...it's still based in CW, but rather than being a competition the show only follows two people who also get counseling, medical follow-ups and home visits. i think a primal show with people eating meat, throwing things and climbing trees would be better, but this show will do for now.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
            Yep. It's a guilty pleasure.

Anna as a trainer literally made me LOL. Seriously? I'm not sure being a pro tennis player necessarily translates to being able to help obese people lose weight and stay motivated. There aren't many men that turn my head, but that new trainer Dolvett had my eyes bugging out of my head! He can train me any day, CW or not. And I always love Bob and his vegan, tattoo'd self.
            She's AWFUL.

Bob is really incredible at motivating people. That's the thing I really appreciate him. WOE aside, he's just DAMN good at that.

I like the new guy a lot too. He seems like he's got his stuff together.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
              i used to watch it, but now i really can't stand it (though admittedly it's been a while since i've seen an episode). it feels like it's all about the drama and the contest, and not really about health. the contestants starve themselves and exercise entirely too much, and the fact that people take off as much time as they do from work to lose weight is simply unrealistic. but, i suppose if it inspires people to look at their lifestyle, then it has some good qualities.

i think a better option is a show called "heavy"...it's still based in CW, but rather than being a competition the show only follows two people who also get counseling, medical follow-ups and home visits. i think a primal show with people eating meat, throwing things and climbing trees would be better, but this show will do for now.
              I think you also have to think about audience. Let's be honest, most Americans aren't going to respond to the message that we're preaching here. CW is just too engrained.

If there's something out there that's cause people to have active dialog about their health, and question the way they've been doing things in the past? I'll all for it.

Comment

This show is the reason I killed my television!!! When I found myself shushing my kids and telling them to wait for commercials because I couldn't be bothered to hear what they had to say until I finished watching the 300 pound man cry, I knew something had to change. And fast.

Comment

anyone notice that now that Gillian is gone the gym seems a bit more crossfit-ish?
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                    anyone notice that now that Gillian is gone the gym seems a bit more crossfit-ish?
                    On that note, a friend at work is just preaching this Gillian chick left and right... yet she can't figure out why she's not losing weight. But when I try to talk to her about Primal and how I've lost 16lbs in 2 months.. she just won't listen. Sigh..

Comment

I have a love-hate relationship with this show. It's a motivator for me to exercise longer and it's encouraging to watch as the contestants get slimmer. But then we get to the obnoxious stuff, like Subway and artificially-sweetened gum that they promote and CW in general, and I cringe. And that Anna trainer ticked me off at the weigh-in when she was disappointed that 2 of the women on her team and told them they'll have to work harder. As if being on the Biggest Loser ranch, exercising for hours a day and cutting calories back like crazy, isn't enough. And then she goes on later to further blame the "meager" weight loss of the women on themselves, saying something to the effect that she can train them hard all week but in the end it's all up to them. It boggles the mind.

I wonder what happened to Jillian. At least she was a former fatty and had better insight to what these contestants needed.
                      I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Comment

I don't watch it as a rule. One of my friends is their web producer and so to be obnoxious I need to not know what he's talking about and also insist on calling the show 'fatties' (A former 300 pound woman can do this and feel no guilt.)

So.... no.

Comment

I've never seen an episode, but I agree with primalrob that A&E's "Heavy" is a pretty inspirational show. It's on Netflix instant.

Comment

the first 6 episodes, sure. the last 6 derailed my interest into the wall
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                            lol

Comment

Biggest Loser, the show I love to hate to love!

I haven't missed an episode or a season since I started my own weight-loss journey. I was losing at the same time as the contestants and it was awesome.

I love watching people pushed to the limits of endurance. I love critiquing the appalling exercise and diet advice. I love being outraged when Bob and Jillian shill for some new species of processed garbage that they would never in a million years put into their own bodies.

But most of all, I love the psychology. Watching people transform their attitudes to health and their own bodies is endlessly fascinating for me.

I also love to bake and eat a whole pumpkin pie during each episode (my own primal-ish low-carb recipe), a tradition I can't wait to resume, just as soon as I find the time to watch the first episode...

Comment

Working...
                              X