Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally found a use for my vegetable oil sitting in the cabinet! :D

Oiling my bike chains!

Are there any other uses to vegetable oil, as I have lots, and I only oil my bike chains so often...
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

You can use it to polish stainless steel.
    Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I used mine up on wooden things -- handles of some kitchen utensils, some carvings, bowls. I think it might get gunky on bike chains.
      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

It is good for seasoning and prepping the BBQ smoker.

Comment

Also, you can put it in your diesel truck.
          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I've used it in combination with salt to get oil-based paint off my hands.

Comment

Oils of all kinds work really well at removing make-up (without tears!). I used to get heavy stage make-up off with crisco, and I use coconut oil for my mascara/eyeliner, simply because I have it. But now you're making me think I should buy some cheap vegetable oil for my lids!

Comment

Use it in a vintage Uncandle or make your own oil-burning lamp.
                "Wait! I'll fix it!"
                "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
                "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Comment

Making homemade playdough. A use for both veg oil AND flour!
                  I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                  Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                  "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

List it on Craigs and some bio-diesel hobbyist will scoop it up.
                    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by beachrat View Post
                      I used mine up on wooden things -- handles of some kitchen utensils, some carvings, bowls. I think it might get gunky on bike chains.
                      Be careful with this, as they will go rancid and that rancidity and rancid flavor can get into your food. There are better options, such as food-grade mineral oil, which isn't remotely primal but won't go bad ever.

Comment

As a custom bike designer and mechanic with 10+ years of experience I highly advice against this. Vegetable oil, like motor oil and other thick oils will work as a lubricant, aslong as they are clean. On something exposed to the environment like a chain, they will attract dirt and grit, and in short time gunk up and destroy the chain. I advise against it.
                        “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

Comment

Originally posted by Dharma_Punk View Post
                          As a custom bike designer and mechanic with 10+ years of experience I highly advice against this. Vegetable oil, like motor oil and other thick oils will work as a lubricant, aslong as they are clean. On something exposed to the environment like a chain, they will attract dirt and grit, and in short time gunk up and destroy the chain. I advise against it.
                          Oh...what would you advise for me to use? I own a used bike and plan on only using it in the summer months to bike to work.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Any thoughts on seasoning cast iron pans with it?
                            Laboratory Mike - laboratorymike.com

Want to find your friends? Try the Primal Living Network

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              Oiling my bike chains!

Are there any other uses to vegetable oil, as I have lots, and I only oil my bike chains so often...
                              I use mine for jelqing
                              ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                              ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

Working...
                              X