No announcement yet.

Constipation: am I doing it all wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constipation: am I doing it all wrong?

Hi all,

I'm 41 and been on the Paleo program for the last 6 months with fantastic result.

Went from 18% body fat to 7% and have plenty of energy than ever before.

To get to the point, I noticed I don't have a regular bowel movement every day, but every 3 - 4 days. I don't find that normal or it is?

I had to take Epsom salt in the morning to get it going after 3rd or 4th day, which I shouldn't have to. I mean eating the Paleo diet should be enough to maintain a regular bowel movement. I used to have 2 or 3 bowel movements a day.

I don't drink alcohol, soda pop, tea, or coffee. I don't smoke. I don't eat sugaring foods.

Typical daily foods I consumed:

06:00am: Large glass (2 cups) of filtered warm water with a squeeze of Lemon

06:30am: Large glass (2 cups) of filtered warm water with a tablespoon of Wheat-grass, Super Enzymes and Probiotics

07:00am: Three large free-range eggs scrambled in free-range butter. Half a Grapefruit and a small to medium size Apple. A mug of herb tea

10:30am: A mug of herb tea or glass of water

11:00am: A can of Wild Salmon with Olive Oil, half an Avocado and a Rocket salad with Bell Peppers, Celery and Cucumber. A mug of herb tea

14:00pm: A mug of herb tea or glass of water

17:00pm: Light Stir-Fried with chopped Chicken, Broccoli, Bell Peppers and garlic in Sesame Oil. A cup of fresh Strawberries. A mug of herb tea

21:00pm: Glass of water with Magnesium and Vitamin-C

Am I missing out something?

Hmmm it all looks good to me, having said that, I have also found that I'm less regular than prior to going primal. When you think about it, all that fibre we got through grains was bound to make us more regular than the veggie-fibres we consume now. I'm probably every 2nd day now, compared to 1-2 daily when I was eating SAD. Every 3-4 days sounds a bit much though, have you looked into herbal remedies?

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
      Hmmm it all looks good to me, having said that, I have also found that I'm less regular than prior to going primal. When you think about it, all that fibre we got through grains was bound to make us more regular than the veggie-fibres we consume now. I'm probably every 2nd day now, compared to 1-2 daily when I was eating SAD. Every 3-4 days sounds a bit much though, have you looked into herbal remedies?
      I know I could take some herbal remedies, but I shouldn't have to...

Or should I?

Is this normal on a Paleo diet not to have a bowel movement every day? I need to know because I don't like the idea of leaving toxin wastes in my colon for days.

Comment

When you go primal you eat less fibre. Its not a problem but you dont need to poop as often. Poop is basically fibre we can't digest.

If its a bit difficult, eat more fat, it's an intestinal lubricant.

Otherwise don't worry, youre doing great!
        www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
          When you go primal you eat less fibre. Its not a problem but you dont need to poop as often. Poop is basically fibre we can't digest.

If its a bit difficult, eat more fat, it's an intestinal lubricant.

Otherwise don't worry, youre doing great!
          What about stories I heard where foods go rotten in the colon and cause major diseases?

Comment

Do you take Omega-3 supplement?
            I found that when I eat fish oil pills, I only go to the can once a week... and it's not a pleasant experience.

I've never really eaten fish, can't stand it (though I've really tried to). That's why I started the fish pills.
            Now I'm thinking that I'm allergic or something. I seem to bee doing just fine without fish in my diet, so I'm not bothering about it anymore.

/Johan

Comment

Originally posted by PJL75 View Post
              Do you take Omega-3 supplement?
              I found that when I eat fish oil pills, I only go to the can once a week... and it's not a pleasant experience.

I've never really eaten fish, can't stand it (though I've really tried to). That's why I started the fish pills.
              Now I'm thinking that I'm allergic or something. I seem to bee doing just fine without fish in my diet, so I'm not bothering about it anymore.

/Johan
              No. I don't take Omega-3. I use Virgin Coconut, Hemp or Olive oil.

Comment

More fruit, more fibrous veggies.

Comment

Do you actually feel like you HAVE to go, but once you're on the toilet, you can't?

If you're not having problems, then there's nothing wrong. 3 days is normal.
                  This is also true with cats, if you feed them grain, they go all the time, but if they eat their natural carnivorous diet, they don't go often at all. That's because they can't digest grain, so it comes all out. But because they CAN digest meat, their body actually uses most of it, so there is not much waste to dispose of. Does that mean they should eat grain? Of course not.

Same for us. The vegetables and fruit we eat have some fiber, and that should be enough.

But if you do feel like you have to go, and feel pain, then that's a different matter.
                  My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
                  Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

you are eating less crap so you are going to make less crap
                    Primal Chaos
                    37yo 6'5"
                    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                    current 338lbs 49" waist
                    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by MrRoberts View Post
                      What about stories I heard where foods go rotten in the colon and cause major diseases?
                      That's bullshit CW like alot of CW you already know. There is articles about relating to this and the red meat cancer myth, mark has deffiantely done one.

Basically, all fat protein and carbohyrdate material is absorbed into the bloodstream (unless you have an improperly functioning gut), even if it is in excess of whats needed. The lower gut is designed purely for fibre we cannot digest like other animals can. Water is used to keep it soft (obviously), and some fat is used as mucus to help lubricate. Sorry to be graphic.

It silly CW that gets annoying. Someone told me the other day drinking too much protein shake was a waste for the reason that your body just pisses the excess protien straight out again. If he took a minute to think about it, he would realise that everything in your urine has been digested into your bloodstream then your kidneys. There is no direct transport of food matter to bladder! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
                        That's bullshit CW like alot of CW you already know. There is articles about relating to this and the red meat cancer myth, mark has deffiantely done one.

Basically, all fat protein and carbohyrdate material is absorbed into the bloodstream (unless you have an improperly functioning gut), even if it is in excess of whats needed. The lower gut is designed purely for fibre we cannot digest like other animals can. Water is used to keep it soft (obviously), and some fat is used as mucus to help lubricate. Sorry to be graphic.

It silly CW that gets annoying. Someone told me the other day drinking too much protein shake was a waste for the reason that your body just pisses the excess protien straight out again. If he took a minute to think about it, he would realise that everything in your urine has been digested into your bloodstream then your kidneys. There is no direct transport of food matter to bladder! LOL
                        Can you link me to the article since I would love to read more about it?

By the way, what is CW you were referring to?

Originally posted by abstractpersona View Post
                        Do you actually feel like you HAVE to go, but once you're on the toilet, you can't?

If you're not having problems, then there's nothing wrong. 3 days is normal.
                        This is also true with cats, if you feed them grain, they go all the time, but if they eat their natural carnivorous diet, they don't go often at all. That's because they can't digest grain, so it comes all out. But because they CAN digest meat, their body actually uses most of it, so there is not much waste to dispose of. Does that mean they should eat grain? Of course not.

Same for us. The vegetables and fruit we eat have some fiber, and that should be enough.

But if you do feel like you have to go, and feel pain, then that's a different matter.
                        No. I don't feel I HAVE to go or in pain.

I guess in time I will get use to this way of living.

Comment

CW stands for conventional wisdom, you will see it alot around here. mark uses the term in his book alot when debunking health myths,

Theres loads of articles about; cant find the really good one i was thinking of but here you go:

Studies Dispel Myth Of Cancer-causing Red Meat
                          Red Meat Causes Cancer: Truth or Myth? | StrongLifts.com
                          Does Red Meat Cause Colon Cancer?
                          Is Red Meat Unhealthy? - What the Red Meat Study Really Says | Mark's Daily Apple

Red meat is correlated with cancer YES. But it is not the cause of it as you will discover. The people that eat more red meat also indulge in bad lifestyle habits, so the data is interpreted badly

Comment

[QUOTE=MrRoberts;575145]I know I could take some herbal remedies, but I shouldn't have to...

Or should I?

Take a spoon of flax oil in the morning.This is primal as it's seeds and it works a charm.I think 3-4 days is way too long(IMO)

Comment

I'd suggest more food and especially more fat. That's not a real substantial amount of food for someone who's 7% body fat, unless that person is emaciated. I'm instead picturing a lot of muscles, and muscles need a lot of fuel. Your metabolism has just about burned all of the fat out of your body so you really really need to fuel that machine, and I'm not really seeing it in the diet you describe. Of course I don't know if you're 5'2" or 6'10", but on average it looks skimpy. I don't know what's in the herbal tea but I hope it's not stimulating energy that's masking a lack of nutritional inputs.

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned, but Boo! Hiss! on the sesame oil. Animal fats, coconut oil, ghee -- those should be your go-to fats.

What's your average exercise/activity for the week?
                              "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                              "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                              If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Working...
                              X