Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step right up and guess my body fat percentage!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate all of the frankness in the discussion. I'm a realist. Based on pinch tests and your estimations, I'd say I'm probably around 18-20%. I estimate that at my heaviest, I was around 30%

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
      My understanding is that fructose from berries and apples would replenish the liver glycogen first and then would be synthesized in the liver into glucose before it can be taken up by the muscles as muscle glycogen. In this case, carbs in excess of this are stored as fat. Whereas consuming glucose from potatoes, rice, etc. will allow the glucose to enter directly into muscles, bypassing the liver, with excess contributing to liver glycogen and followed by body fat. I assume this is to take advantage of muscle cell insulin sensitivity as close to the workout as possible while also sparring protein?
      That is all correct as far as I know. Berries have a favorable fructose-to-glucose ratio, apples not so much. But a little fructose is forgivable because of the abundant antioxidants, flavonoids, polyphenols etc. in fruit that you won't find in pure starch.

As for guessing body fat percentages, I'm not going to win any prizes any time soon. I appreciate the observations from the other guessers, especially Laconophile's intriguing link.

Comment

Originally posted by Laconophile View Post
        Hey! I'm in that guide! LOL!!
        "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
          Personally, I rarely have more than a few berries or an apple after lunch on carb-loading days, but I wonder how others do it.
          I'm having success with having a yam, potato or sweet potato after working out. The days I don't work out I have more fat than anything. I'm following some stuff Kurt Harris said about fat and carbs (starches) and how when he would increase one, he would decrease the other and he's maintained his fat loss since he's chained his stance on carbs. So far, I've maintained my current weight (215) but body fat is visibly going down.
          Last edited by pacificBeef; 09-20-2011, 10:36 AM.
          Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
            That is all correct as far as I know. Berries have a favorable fructose-to-glucose ratio, apples not so much. But a little fructose is forgivable because of the abundant antioxidants, flavonoids, polyphenols etc. in fruit that you won't find in pure starch.
            Again, I'm paraphrasing Archevore but I also recall him mentioning that an empty stomach is actually a good time to have fruit since he thinks it allows your body to use most of it's resources to process fructose effectively.
            Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Oh, my! Saw that picture and.............whew! It is getting HOT in here!
              Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Without reading further than the first post, I would say 16%

Comment

Working...
                X