Stuck in the Middle with You, maybe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Seems to me that spontaneous dancing for the duration of a few songs with rests in between, in the context of social interaction with friends, is probably some of the best physical and mental exercise there is. But dancing for an hour nonstop under the watchful eye of a fitness instructor several times a week is chronic cardio territory for sure.
    Originally posted by Penfold_67 View Post
    So true! Doing 60 minutes on a treadmill is torture. Walking 5 miles with my mum and sister putting the world to rights is an absolute pleasure.
    I enjoy my dance classes/practices, though.

Comment

Originally posted by spakesneaker View Post
      I enjoy my dance classes/practices, though.
      So go to them! If you have fun, then do it for the fun. Do it for the heart health. You might think about lifting heavy things too but if it's play for you - then it's play!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzington View Post
        So go to them! If you have fun, then do it for the fun. Do it for the heart health. You might think about lifting heavy things too but if it's play for you - then it's play!
        Agree, I think dancing goes under play if you really enjoy it.

Stepped on the scales this morning, 12 days since my lowest weight, and I'm still 200 grams over. Having said that, I had my TOM last week, and a weekend away Fri-Sunday. Stuck to PB eating, but had an entire block of 85 % chocolate and a lot of French goats cheese at night, so even though I didn't gain, I certainly didn't expect to lose any.

Well I have no exciting occasions in the near future, which means I'll have the chance to eat clean and slowly keep losing. I'm still waiting for my new local gym to open, it's been delayed from Oct to Dec, but when it opens I'll be doing free weights, Pilates and yoga. Sprints and walks I do on my own. I really look forward to it, in a way it will really be a chance to finally put myself first while the kids are in the gym-creche! It's great being a young mother, but I'm pretty keen on getting my health back too!

Comment

Ps! I've been doing the 30 Day Shred-DVD fir exercise the last month. I'm firming up, lost heaps of inches around the waist,but I don't think it's ideal exercise in terms of PB. Sadly the e-book didn't work, I somehow didn't get it when I signed up. Technical issues?

Comment

Dancing is definitely play for me. We tend to forget how important play is, particularly the kind of social play like dancing that helps build our connection to our tribe (for most of us modern humans, that's our friendship circle). I also find play in making music with others. Either one is very primal and has deep roots in human evolution.

I do primal bake. I know some people find it an absolute taboo, but I'm working out more than the prescribed PBF level by doing Crossfit, so I can afford to eat the PB Cookbook coconut flour muffins here and there as long as I don't overdo it (especially considering there's 1/3 tbsp of coconut flour, 1/3 tbsp of pumpkin, and 1 tsp of maple syrup in a muffin--not a high-carb treat). I'm still losing fat, though--if I was stalled, I'd ditch them.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

ben konuya epey uzak kaldım.

Comment

Originally posted by Autumnrose View Post
                How come it takes two weeks to gain 20 pounds and two centuries to take it off?
                Right?! Yeah, I have nothing to add, just-- yep, that's true & it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                  Ps! I've been doing the 30 Day Shred-DVD fir exercise the last month. I'm firming up, lost heaps of inches around the waist,but I don't think it's ideal exercise in terms of PB. Sadly the e-book didn't work, I somehow didn't get it when I signed up. Technical issues?
                  I didn't get mine either-- at first I thought I just missed checking something when I signed up, but I've heard a couple of other people chime in about the mysterious, ghostly exercise ebook.

Comment

Yay! A thread for middle children! (I actually am the middle child, so I relate to Jan in more wasy than just Primal.)

Without having any idea how much I weigh, because I *really and truly* gave up on the scale about 10 years ago, let's say I had "about 30lbs" to lose. I'm tall, and I naturally skew toward an athletic, lanky and - honestly - boyish body shape, but had become thicker and curvier than I felt comfortable with due to my grain addiction. I was also having some bad symptoms relating to insulin resistance and had been declared "pre-Diabetic" by my doctor - all of this despite never having been REALLY overweight.

I initially lost a good 10 lbs of belly fat just by adopting a diet plan that focused on curbing insulin resistance before I found Primal. Primal helped me lose about another 10, quickly - the other benefits of Primal are what made me a believer, though (the abundant energy, learnig to appreciate my body's real hunger and satiety signals, the easy lifestyle, the no-more-counting-macros, etc.). Weight loss was kind of a bonus... but now that it's happened, I want to go all the way with it! I have about 10 to go, and it's just not moving right now. It's been a few months now. I thought for a while there that maybe this was my set point and I'd just need to get used to it.

But then the feel of my bodyfat recently changed quite noticeably - it became very soft, squishy and jiggly, and I know from past readings that this could be a sign that my body is getting ready to let go of another batch of fat. Now that summer's over, I can get back into my regular fitness routine (fitn3ess has bnever been a problem for me - I loooove exercise of all kinds, but it falls by the wayside a bit during summer [and I'm okay with that].), have fewer nights of beer & wings on the patio, get better quality sleep and maybe help "whoosh" this fat offa my body once and for all. And then I can be one of those people who goes all LeanGains and obssesses about "shredding!" Ha.

As for IF, I have the best success when I eat breakfast and lunch and maybe a mid-afternoon snack, and then stop eating again till the next morning. My workouts are in the evening, so I consider the food I eat all day "fuel" for that, and then I have no need to eat afterward. I can correct a bad weekend of eating, partying, and general non-compliance-to-the-lifestyle in about 2 days of adhering to this eating schedule. It winds up being about a 15-hour fast, just kind of flipped on its head. I fall off the wagon on Thursdays and Fridays - my rest days, where I don't go to the gym after work. On those days, I eat right up until bedtime, it seems. I think if I made these two nights my "move slowly" nights and went for a long walk in the evenings, I could probably get ahead of the game. As of right now, I don't do any "moving slowly" at all. Winter is coming quickly up here, so I'll invest in some warm winter outerwear and make walking part of my game plan. I think it just might be the trick to get the fat moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                      Seems to me that spontaneous dancing for the duration of a few songs with rests in between, in the context of social interaction with friends, is probably some of the best physical and mental exercise there is. But dancing for an hour nonstop under the watchful eye of a fitness instructor several times a week is chronic cardio territory for sure.
                      I humbly disagree with this - speaking as a fitness instructor whose watchful eye watches over 2 dance-based fitness clases every week (no, not Zumba). In my opinion, there is nothing more fun, liberating or phsycially/mentally challenging and rewarding than a dance-based fitness class. I'm too old to go clubbin', personally, so this is the best I can do. I file my hour-long classes under "Play." And when I teach, I'm not barking commands at my participants and urging them to "keep up;" I ask them to enjoy the sensation of dance and the euphoric highs and lows of the music. It's good for the soul, man.

Comment

Originally posted by ErinC View Post
                        Yay! A thread for middle children! (I actually am the middle child, so I relate to Jan in more wasy
                        As for IF, I have the best success when I eat breakfast and lunch and maybe a mid-afternoon snack, and then stop eating again till the next morning. My workouts are in the evening, so I consider the food I eat all day "fuel" for that, and then I have no need to eat afterward. I can correct a bad weekend of eating, partying, and general non-compliance-to-the-lifestyle in about 2 days of adhering to this eating schedule. It winds up being about a 15-hour fast, just kind of flipped on its head. I fall off the wagon on Thursdays and Fridays - my rest days, where I don't go to the gym after work. On those days, I eat right up until bedtime, it seems. I think if I made these two nights my "move slowly" nights and went for a long walk in the evenings, I could probably get ahead of the game. As of right now, I don't do any "moving slowly" at all. Winter is coming quickly up here, so I'll invest in some warm winter outerwear and make walking part of my game plan. I think it just might be the trick to get the fat moving.
                        I fully believe IFing by skipping dinner is much better than skipping breakfast! I think a lot of people that are Leptin- and insulin-resistant could really mess their circadian clock and hormones up by skipping breakfast. I skip dinner to when I IF, but I genuinely never feel hungry for dinner-time anymore. I eat 3-4 nights a week though, because I like to mix things up.
                        I think you could add two more "rules" in order to lose the last 10: maybe never eat after 7.30 pm, and add more walking? Who knows, it might just be the magic bullet.

Comment

I totally agree that breakfast is essential. I think a lot of people rebel against breakfast and love being given "permission" by IFing gurus to skip it. The CW about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is not wrong, it's just that the definition of "breakfast" got bastardized from a good bacon and eggs protein start to the day into being Cocopuffs and pop-tarts.

If you already have a body like Martin at Leangains or close to it, you can do just about anything you want to it and not cause much harm. I really think that too many seriously overweight people jumped on the whole IF bandwagon however and can really mess themselves up even further. But Martin has such pretty abs. If I skip breakfast I will have abs like that too. Um. Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                            oh, and for whatever it is worth, here is our "fish and chups" recipe. it may not fit into YOUR primal yet, but it's on our menu weekly:

ground almonds, spice blend of choice, fresh green herb of choice

fish of choice

egg

butter

take fish and wash it, then dip in egg and then dip in ground almonds that's been mixed with spice mix and chopped green herb (also, we like to use seaweed here, it's nice). put butter in the pan and let it melt (coconut oil also works well), and then put the fish in. The butter-to-heat ratio needs to be experimented with by you, so that the crust doesn't get burnt but the fish gets cooked. you'll find your way. let it get golden brown on one side (2-5 minutes depending upon heat-to-butter ratio), and then flip it to finish cooking.

---

we like to serve this with several things. people like kale chips, and we make those but it in a cauliflower and parsnip (or turnip, depending upon what we have) mash with a smidge of horseradish as well. it gives it a nice mashed potato/"chups" feel and flavor, without being off-limits.

in addition, we serve some form of green veggies. it really depends upon what we have -- this week we had brussels sprouts. i like to carmelize them with some leeks and butter and then salt/pepper and sometimes a bit of all natural mustard. if they are naturally sweet, then no need to add honey, but a tiny bit of honey (like a fingertip or 1/4 teaspoon) is more than enough for several sprouts! It just cuts the bitter a bit.

So, that's me for fish and chups. I also make a home made ginger ale -- fizzy water, ginger either steeped and then a bit of honey and lemon or ginger and lemon juice with a bit of honey and the fizzy water. stevia would also work here. it's not 'beer' but it's nice to get some fizz.

anyway. . .
                            "A chup? Potato chup?"
                            "Naw bru I only eat plank-ton."
                            "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Oh, and my other reply that I dont think was mentioned so far but I was kinda skimming so excuse me if it was: are you on hormonal birth control? Ive heard from other blogs that sometimes that can be the last niggling bit that keeps the abdominal fat hanging in there. Im also in the Middle Child Crowd (5'9", went from 178 to currently around 155 in 3 months) but my goal is really to have smoother, firmer abs like I have *always* admired in other women. To this end, I decided to bite the bullet and get an IUD (copper, not progestin) and get off hormonal BC for the first time in years. So far the ab-fat is still there, but im figuring that itll take a few weeks, if not months, for my normal hormones to balance out, and then well see if that changes things.
                              "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

here, it's the accent: fush and chups is how it sounds, and thus often how it is spelled. of course, it means fish and chips, and chips, of course, are french fries.

Comment

Working...
                                X