Documentaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentaries

What are some good nutrition/primal documentaries you guys would recommend? I've been watching a ton lately but am looking for more.

Thanks!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

have you watched fathead? its a good one
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

The Lustig video on sugar. Somewhat long but I found it worthwhile.
      Last edited by IvyBlue; 09-14-2011, 09:18 PM. Reason: I don't know the BB code, sorry
      Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Bigger, Stronger, Faster* - Available on DVD Now
        Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?

Comment

Interviews rather than documentaries, but if you want AV material you might try the ones put out by the Underground Wellness man. I haven't seen the videos yet, but his podcast is pretty good. Nice, friendly bloke with a way of bringing the best out of his guests:

Healthy Power TV - Underground Wellness

Comment

King Corn
            My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Documentary films constitute a broad category of nonfictional motion pictures intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record.A "documentary film" was originally a movie shot on film stock—the only medium available—but now includes video and digital productions that can be either direct-to-video or made for a television program. "Documentary" has been described as a "filmmaking practice, a cinematic tradition, and mode of audience reception" that is continually evolving and is without clear boundaries.

Comment

just watched fathead. loved it! great job on the weight loss by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by lucyh View Post
                  King Corn
                  +1 - great movie.

That Fat, sick and nearly dead movie was pretty good as well. It's about juicing and what it can do for those who are severely overweight.

Bigger, Stonger, Faster* is one of the best documentaries about steroids I have ever seen and it has some good stories in it. It's sort of an answer to the whole "Reefer Madness" crap that people *think* about steroids. Never done 'em, but I know hundreds of people that do and CW is totally wrong on that count as well.

Blue Gold and Tapped are two good movies about water.
                  People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

It's not strictly a documentary, but this 46-minute lecture, "Science for Smart People" (as opposed to "...for Dummies"), was given by Tom Naughton, the creator of Fat Head:
                    Science For Smart People - YouTube

It looks really good. If it were available on Netflix streaming, I would have watched it by now...

Comment

Yeah Im totally addicted to food documentaries on Netflix too lately. I third? fourth? Fathead. Also Food Inc is really fascinating, talking about industrial agriculture in general. I knew the crap the animals go through, but I had no idea how so many farmers and workers are trapped in the cycle as well.
                      "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

I kind of hate Fathead, which is funny because I really like Naughton's talks. In the talks he comes off as funny, but in the movie he just seems needlessly smug, which isn't that well made to begin with. It's not like Super Size Me really needed a rebuttal from the paleo community. Why not just make a witty movie about the benefits of ancestral health that stands on its own terms?

Comment

Originally posted by DSR84 View Post
                          I kind of hate Fathead, which is funny because I really like Naughton's talks. In the talks he comes off as funny, but in the movie he just seems needlessly smug, which isn't that well made to begin with. It's not like Super Size Me really needed a rebuttal from the paleo community. Why not just make a witty movie about the benefits of ancestral health that stands on its own terms?
                          I agree but the last part of Fathead was very good. You might also want to check out his lecture called "Big Fat Fiasco" (I think it's on youtube). It is kind of like an expanded version of the last half of Fathead without bothering with all the rebuttal to Super Size Me

Comment

^Agreed, which is why I won't show it to my parents as an intro to a paleo lifestyle. They haven't seen Super Size Me and I don' like the way Naughton comes across.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

Yeah, his political bent (he's very libertarian... and quite snide about it) really turned me off showing Fat Head to other people, which is a shame, because there's a lot of good stuff in it too.

I second Food Inc. and King Corn. Food Matters is also good, but Food Inc. covers the same material more effectively.
                              Last edited by paleo_hailey; 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X