Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan to require BMI reports on kids

From the article:

Gov. Rick Snyder plans to direct doctors in Michigan to begin monitoring the body weight of their young patients and provide the data to a state registry in one of the most extensive government efforts to address the growing problem of pediatric obesity, the Associated Press has learned.
    Michigan to require BMI reports on kids | MLive.com

Anybody else see where this is going? Continued erosion of what few rights we have, you can bet the Michigan will follow in the foot steps of the UK where they have already taken obese kids away from their parents.

Now, I full agree that our kids in this country are fat and that needs to change but doing it under the treat of some type of intervention from any level of government is wrong. It is no more the business of how fat our kids are than how fat we are, if and what we smoke, what we eat, what we drink, etc.

Plus you can bet that when these kids start getting reported the only advice given to the parents (assuming they are allowed to keep their kids) is going to be nothing but CW filled government bullshit that has been formed by the massive food and drug company lobbies.

What is next? State mandated bariatric surgery for children?

Free country my ass!
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
    From the article:

Michigan to require BMI reports on kids | MLive.com

Anybody else see where this is going? Continued erosion of what few rights we have, you can bet the Michigan will follow in the foot steps of the UK where they have already taken obese kids away from their parents.

Now, I full agree that our kids in this country are fat and that needs to change but doing it under the treat of some type of intervention from any level of government is wrong. It is no more the business of how fat our kids are than how fat we are, if and what we smoke, what we eat, what we drink, etc.

Plus you can bet that when these kids start getting reported the only advice given to the parents (assuming they are allowed to keep their kids) is going to be nothing but CW filled government bullshit that has been formed by the massive food and drug company lobbies.

What is next? State mandated bariatric surgery for children?

Free country my ass!
    Americans live in the delusion they are most free country in the world because it's constantly drilled into their despite the obvious overwhelming evidence that it is not a country that values liberty and freedom anymore. Few kids are taught the central concept that government get it's rights from the people rather than the other way around.

All hail the state and the freedom it gives us!
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Oh, please! Calm the f*ck down. They are gathering data. Nobody is taking anyones's kids away.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Oh, please! Calm the f*ck down. They are gathering data. Nobody is taking anyones's kids away.
        Historically these things have always started like this. Regulations put into place to gather data, etc, etc. Gun registration is a classic example. The requirement to register guns has always preceded confiscation of guns, it has happened in California as well as other states.

Bottom line for me however its that it is not the governments job to force my kids doctor to gather information about my kid such as this and give it to the government. It is none of their business.

While this program seems harmless enough on the surface, trust me, it won't stop there. Because after all, once they gather this data, they are going to feel the need to do something about their findings, "for the children" of course. And it will result in further tax payer programs and forced requirements on parents on what (CW) food to feed their kids. When their kids continue to get sicker on the CW diet, it will be blamed back on the parents for not doing it right.

This seems pretty harmless now but it won't stop with just gathering data.
        Randal

Comment

I see the tinfoil hat is down over yours ears and eyes. No point in this discussion. Bye.

Comment

I see the tinfoil hat is down over yours ears and eyes. No point in this discussion. Bye.
            there are groups pushing this agenda to remove kids from homes and assume that government as usual knows what is best for kids

denouncing with no valid counterpoints and then bailing the thread, everyone who has a different POV than you is crazy...

typical pattern for you

Comment

FreeRangeKids

recommended as it pertains to the topic of government and kids

*adjusts tinfoil hat to cocky, rakish angle*
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                FreeRangeKids

recommended as it pertains to the topic of government and kids

*adjusts tinfoil hat to cocky, rakish angle*

Comment

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they ain't out to get me
                  Randal

Comment

Actually, I support this to some extent. You see stories in the news about the parents that get arrested and/or lose their kids because they starve them. Why isn't it the other way around? If parents do not provide their child proper nutrition, and the child's health suffers, shouldn't someone step in? There are kids in middle school with diabetes and high blood pressure, solely because the parents neglect making sure they were eating properly. When my sister and I were getting a little pudgy as kids, my parents did something about it. My wife and I did the same thing for our children.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                      Actually, I support this to some extent. You see stories in the news about the parents that get arrested and/or lose their kids because they starve them. Why isn't it the other way around? If parents do not provide their child proper nutrition, and the child's health suffers, shouldn't someone step in? There are kids in middle school with diabetes and high blood pressure, solely because the parents neglect making sure they were eating properly. When my sister and I were getting a little pudgy as kids, my parents did something about it. My wife and I did the same thing for our children.
                      While I see your point, at what point does is stop? There are already various laws around the nation on what you can and cannot let your kids do with various penalties. Granted, kids are getting sick (er) because of the lifestyle that they are learning from their parents but kids get hurt because they fall of their bikes and don't have knee pads, elbow pads, helmets and gloves, does this become mandatory also? And like I said, even if their was some validity to this program it will fail because any advice given to parents as a result of this study/program will be CW in nature. Keep in mind that governments that come up with these programs "for the children" are also the same type of people that allow pizza and cokes to be sold in public schools. That think that a sandwich with processed crap (luncheon meat) is a good lunch as long as you throw in an apple or two.

If the program goes beyond the data gathering stage and into mandatory diet or counseling for the parents, it will fail as all things CW have.
                      Randal

Comment

Texas Grok,

I agree that the solution is probably not ideal. However, what do we do? It's one extreme or the other. Either we do nothing, and allow kids to suffer at the mercy of negligent parents. Or, someone steps in and helps them. There is no middle ground here. Perceived, preventable threats such as falling off bicycles and accidents are one thing, but allowing a child to be unhealthy is wrong. If a child had 104 degrees of fever and the parents did nothing, then should we just ignore it because this is a "free" country? We don't allow kids to smoke cigarettes? Where's the freedom in that?

There is no easy answer for this, but parents have the responsibility to see that their children are healthy. It's inexcusable to allow your own child to become medically obese, unless there is some other health issue such as thyroid problems going on. The CW diet was around when I was a kid during the 80's, and my parents made us eat low fat foods as much as possible. We were not obese.

Comment

Again, it is another government program that is doomed to fail. Even if the manage to get the obese kids skinny, they will be nothing more than "skinny fat" (or is it "fat skinny") because they may weigh less but they still will be eating shitty, processed, low fat, chemically laden frankenfood. And it will all fit within the government guidelines. I don't disagree that parents letting their kids get fat is negligent but what if their kids that can eat anything and don't get fat but because of the CW diet the parents feed the kid, the kid still gets sick from eating crap food?

parents have the responsibility to see that their children are healthy
                          Healthy by who's definition? The government's? You mean the same government that came up with the FDA food pyramid? Or healthy according to the doctor who is trained and practices in the CW ways and is bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical companies?

If we are going to say that a) parents are responsible for seeing their children are healthy and b) this is going to be enforced by the government and c) this is the same government that has come up with the FDA food pyramid then all of us PBers will be guilty of feeding our kids an unhealthy diet because we are not following the government FDA guidelines.

There is no easy answer to childhood obesity but I don't trust the government to come up with a program to address the problem. They have failed miserably in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
                          Randal

Comment

Michigan taxpayers don't have money for this kind of nonsense. Why is a state registry for child obesity even necessary? The child's doctor should be discussing the weight problem with the patient and his parents anyway, so I don't see what a registry will accomplish other than funneling more money away from where Michigan needs it most--with JOBS.
                            I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Comment

And I would hasten to add here that asking the government to have any role in management of childhood obesity is a bit like hiring a pedophile to babysit your kids. The government is a major part of the problem with childhood obesity. And it extends to all levels of government since state governments depend on federal funds and if the states don't follow the federal "guidelines", they risk funding.
                              Randal

Comment

Working...
                              X