Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you kicked the Diet Soda habit? How?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you kicked the Diet Soda habit? How?

I'm losing weight every week, so this is really is an effort to become more healthy. I drink 1-2 cans of diet Mt. Dew or Coke Zero almost every day. I think I'm craving the carbon. I know it's not healthy for me because of the fake sugar and such. At first I would call this my 20%.. but lets get real.. Drinking this crap everyday is not healthy.

Everyday I eat:
    Protein
    Veggies
    3 eggs
    coconut oil (w. the eggs)
    a small handful of nuts (only sea salt added)

Again.. I'm losing weight every week. However, I can't seem to find anything enjoyable to drink. I can't drink coffee unless it has a coffee-mate creamer. So, that's out. I've tried every flavor of tea under the sun (hot and cold).. still not hitting the spot. Water? Eh.. But it seems to be the only thing available that is primal.

So folks how did you kick you diet soda habit?

Try switching to kombucha instead.

Comment

Kombucha or water-kefir. There are countless water-kefir "soda" recipes online that you can find that use juice as a base and the kefir grains eat up the sugar to create carbonation. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to soon! Once I get some mason jars.
      Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
      Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
      More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
      LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
      Play more!

Comment

I just can't drink it now. It's literally too sweet for me. I've been able to drink plain coffee/tea for awhile now. Not sure how it happened, all I know is that it did.
        Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
          I just can't drink it now. It's literally too sweet for me. I've been able to drink plain coffee/tea for awhile now. Not sure how it happened, all I know is that it did.
          Samesies.

I started diluting soda way before I even heard of primal. Literally "cut" your soda with water, progressively make it more water and less soda. If I have soda (or fruit juice) at all, this is how I have it, otherwise it's just too damn sweet.

Mind you, the point is to cut back, so don't just add water to your 2 can per day habit, but rather go back to 1 can or half a can and stretch it out using water.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Like me....Get sick while drinking it and other things...violent vomiting...psychological relationship.... :-) Or just read the label and have a "DOH" moment
            Living the dream, inside a myth

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              Try switching to kombucha instead.
              Doesn't this have sugar in it?

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                Samesies.

I started diluting soda way before I even heard of primal. Literally "cut" your soda with water, progressively make it more water and less soda. If I have soda (or fruit juice) at all, this is how I have it, otherwise it's just too damn sweet.

Mind you, the point is to cut back, so don't just add water to your 2 can per day habit, but rather go back to 1 can or half a can and stretch it out using water.
                Good Point! The goal is to cut it out compeletly... but I'm kinda of tired of just plain water.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlesigh View Post
                  Like me....Get sick while drinking it and other things...violent vomiting...psychological relationship.... :-) Or just read the label and have a "DOH" moment
                  Yes, I understand it's bad for me. But again.. cant drink coffee without a creamer. Not really digging tea. I'm bored with plain water. It's just not in my head that diet soda will kill me if everything I consume is Primal. But I do want to kick the habit, but not finding a suitable replacement in the Primal world.

Comment

Do you like flavored fizzy water? Perrier makes a good grapefruit flavor, and my Costco sells Perrier and Crystal Geyser. I kicked the habit by always having a cold fizzy water and pitcher of iced tea in the fridge. You could add one of those liquid stevia flavors (I use NuNaturals vanilla stevia) to iced tea or fizzy water to make it closer to the diet soda experience? (And perhaps you would like iced tea if it was sweetened somehow?) Worth a shot!

Comment

I had a severe addiction to Diet Pepsi (pre-aspartame time) years ago ... I was working between 13-15 hours 6 days a week and sucking back the caffeine. When I say a severe addiction, I mean that literally. Most days I went thru at least a dozen cans. Let's just say I was wired to the max, ate very little of anything, and at the time I was bouncing back and forth with vegetarianism ... and dealing with constant colds, headaches, allergies, viruses, you name it. (DUH !)
                      I quit cold turkey and for about a week, I was an absolute wreck ... more like the DT's that alcoholics deal with. It took my body a while to recover from that abuse. I kept sparkling water (fuzzy water) in the house for a while to satisfy my supposed need for carbonation.

You will get to the point where you don't crave the carbonation. About once or twice a year I'll have a glass of sparkling water, but I don't crave it anymore .... and I will never go back to drinking toxins, diet or otherwise ... ever again !
                      Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

Originally posted by apple View Post
                        Kombucha or water-kefir. There are countless water-kefir "soda" recipes online that you can find that use juice as a base and the kefir grains eat up the sugar to create carbonation. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to soon! Once I get some mason jars.
                        I looked up water-kefir, and it says it's kefir grains. I'm sorry if this is a stupid remark.. but grains? Isn't that what were supposed to be avoiding? I looked up a basic recipe:
                        3 cups water
                        1/4 cup white sugar 1/4-1/2 cup kefir grains
                        1/4 cup apple juice
                        about 1 inch of banana cut into thin slices

I'm trying to avoid the sugar. But thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by shrona View Post
                          Do you like flavored fizzy water? Perrier makes a good grapefruit flavor, and my Costco sells Perrier and Crystal Geyser. I kicked the habit by always having a cold fizzy water and pitcher of iced tea in the fridge. You could add one of those liquid stevia flavors (I use NuNaturals vanilla stevia) to iced tea or fizzy water to make it closer to the diet soda experience? (And perhaps you would like iced tea if it was sweetened somehow?) Worth a shot!
                          This might work! I am trying to get rid of the sugar, and Perrier's site says there is none. Most commercial carbon water has some sort of a sweetner in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Orannhawk View Post
                            I had a severe addiction to Diet Pepsi (pre-aspartame time) years ago ... I was working between 13-15 hours 6 days a week and sucking back the caffeine. When I say a severe addiction, I mean that literally. Most days I went thru at least a dozen cans. Let's just say I was wired to the max, ate very little of anything, and at the time I was bouncing back and forth with vegetarianism ... and dealing with constant colds, headaches, allergies, viruses, you name it. (DUH !)
                            I quit cold turkey and for about a week, I was an absolute wreck ... more like the DT's that alcoholics deal with. It took my body a while to recover from that abuse. I kept sparkling water (fuzzy water) in the house for a while to satisfy my supposed need for carbonation.

You will get to the point where you don't crave the carbonation. About once or twice a year I'll have a glass of sparkling water, but I don't crave it anymore .... and I will never go back to drinking toxins, diet or otherwise ... ever again !
                            I'm thinking this may be the key... the sparkling water will at least give me my carbon need, and I can kick the sweetner out of it. I tried to cold turkey the diet soda this week and ended up with a massive headache on Monday. It's kind of like the carbflu with sweetner (I guess). However, I was able to get through a day feeling like my head was going to fly away when I first started primal. But my head throbbing the way it did was not going to cut it.

Comment

Why not go with coffee with heavy cream? Tastier than coffee with "creamer" and healthier too! Also a HECK of an improvement health-wise over diet soda! You may have addressed this somewhere that I missed, but I don't see it anywhere.

In all of this, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good: almost any move away from diet sweeteners is a good move.
                              Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X