No announcement yet.

Results of my blood work, comments encouraged

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad you mentioned that I should start checking my blood sugar at home. I've been thinking about that for the last few days. I just finished reading every word of Griff's journal as well as his featured story on the home page, and didn't find a mention of what kind of meter he's using. I'll do some research of my own and see what I find. It will be very interesting, and I'm sure illuminating, to find out exactly what my individual blood sugar reactions are.

Comment

Sharonll - I'm not any kind of expert in glucose meters, but I think they're all pretty similar. The main differences are size/portability, how much history they store, data download and other electronic nick-nacks. The reading itself is pretty much the same, although I gather some of the modern testers now allow you to test from alternate sites like forearm or palm rather than just the finger (this is nice if you're testing often). You'll find the meters are all within a pretty similar price-range, but watch the test stick price. So, I'd go with the one that has the most reasonable test stick price (since that's what you end up buying most of), and just a good, overall reputation.

Comment

Sharon-

Your blood glucose number seems high, but there's no way to know without the lab ranges. As another poster has noted, some labs go as high as 130 for normal. If your doctor isn't concerned, that probably means that your number is in the normal range.

As for the poster who mentioned the 'low carb' effect on the test, that's only for the Glucose Tolerance Test. And if your doctor is concerned about your fasting glucose number, that's the next test to be done. For that test, however, if you're eating low carb, you need to eat about 150g of carbs per day for three days prior to the test in order for accurate results.

Comment

Hi, emmie, sad to say I no longer trust my doctor. If somewhere in the 80s is normal for a fasting glucose, then 130 seems way out of range. Mine seems bad enough at 113. I'll be talking to my doctor next week, and I'm about done with her. I need to get a prescription for a blood glucose meter and test strips, as I know my insurance covers that. If she balks, I'm searching for a new doctor. I told her that I'd fasted for 14 hours before the test, and then she writes "normal, if not fasting"? On the print-out, the lab has 60-99 as the normal range for fasting.

I don&#39;t want to eat 150g of carbs for three days prior to a test. I currently eat <30g per day. I honestly can&#39;t see myself sabotaging my body just to get some kind of CW result. I&#39;m looking forward to testing myself and understanding my own body. I&#39;m sorry, but I&#39;m feeling kind of disgusted by CW medicine, and my own doctor, quite frankly.

Comment

Sharonll, I think it&#39;s good that you are getting to know your own body. It seems that a lot of CW medicine has blanket numbers for normalicy that seem to change, almost pulled out of whomever&#39;s ass. The truth is that everyone is different (which is prolly why they have a range usually). Good for you for taking your health into your own hands and not just blindly following the doctor&#39;s orders.

Comment

SharonII - FYI, I use a OneTouch Ultra II meter. But really, any meter will give you pretty much the same readings. The meters are often damn near free from the companies that make them, but the test strips are not cheap, so you&#39;ll want to get your doc to prescribe them, if possible.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Hey, Griff. Sometime in the next few days, I should be getting the lab results back from my lipid panel. Don&#39;t suppose you can point me to the posts that tell how to read it in the meantime? I&#39;m having trouble locating it.

I already know it&#39;s good. The doc said so. I just want to be able to read it for myself. Though they did say something about my calcium levels being too low. Which is odd.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                Current weight: 199
                Goal: 145

Comment

Katt: Just look at my list of recently posted replies. I don&#39;t know anything about calcium levels - I just look at cholesterol and blood sugar, primarily.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Comment

Thank you, Griff, for letting me know what kind of glucose monitor you use. I hope my doctor will return my call on Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Just curious, does you monitor allow you to sample from your forearm or palm reliably? Pricking my fingertips constantly might be a problem, as I earn my living at a computer, and pricking my fingertips several times a day sounds like a problem just waiting to happen.

Comment

Sharon: The fingertip pricking is so slight that it never interferes with typing. I have not found that pricking from a forearm or palm is useful or reliable, although it&#39;s not the monitor you need to worry about there, but the lancing device. I use the SoftClix one which allows you to adjust the depth of the jab.

Comment

Sharon-

You didn&#39;t give the lab ranges earlier, so I didn&#39;t realize that the limit on your test was 99. As I think I mentioned, my own doctor&#39;s lab uses a limit of 120, so that&#39;s why it&#39;s important to know the lab ranges and not just the number.

I also don&#39;t think that just because you have one inept doctor you should give up entirely on conventional medicine. It&#39;s good to take the initiative for your own health care, but I&#39;m hypothyroid. It took me more than 5 years to find a doctor who could properly diagnose me (and by that time, my symptoms were extreme). Yet I&#39;d be dead now if I didn&#39;t stick to conventional medicine and search for a doctor who would medicate me appropriately, since the thyroid hormones I need are not available OTC.

You may not need a GTT, but if you do, please be reasonable. You&#39;re not &#39;sabotaging&#39; your body to eat carbs for 3 days. I took that test a few years ago, and I had been eating <30g of carbs for several years. The 3 days of high carb didn&#39;t affect me at all, and I went right back to low carb with no problems. It was worth it to me to know that I didn&#39;t have diabetes (by the way, my high BG number--the reason for the test-was from undiagnosed hypothyroid).

Comment

Hi, emmie. I totally agree with you about not giving up on conventional medicine. I don&#39;t plan to do that, but I am earnestly on a hunt for a doctor who at least understands (even better would be one who encourages) the science behind low carb eating.

I was just reading about the glucose tolerance test (http://www.endocrineweb.com/diabetes/diagnosis.html). It&#39;s the same test I was given years ago after having an overweight baby. I&#39;ll go back and read Dr. Eades post about the preparation for the test. I&#39;m just in the last chapter of GCBC, and the information has caused me to swear off carbs for the foreseeable future. At least, stay under 30 g per day. The science is irrefutable. I feel like I&#39;ve found religion, so it&#39;s very hard to imagine eating 150 g of carbs a day for 3 days. I&#39;ll try to be more reasonable about it.

Comment

Reading Dr. Eades&#39; post, I came across his response to a question posed by a commenter who was about to undergo a GTT and wondered what to eat for the days prior to the test. Dr. Eades responded with the following: "You need at least three days of the higher carb fare for the glucose tolerance test to be accurate. I usually have patients follow such a diet for a week just to be sure. But, I don’t usually do a glucose tolerance test, I do an insulin challenge instead, which is much more revealing."

An insulin challenge test involves injecting the patient with insulin and then monitoring the blood glucose respones every 15 minutes for two hours.

Comment

Sharon, use the side of your fingertip instead of the middle when doing a fingerstick. Fewer nerves, and you don&#39;t type with the side of your fingertip!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                              On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Insulin resistance info needed

Hi Sharonll,
                                What is the full title of the GCBC book? I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance and I want to learn about it. So far the info on the internet is not very helpful.
                                Thank you

Originally posted by Sharonll View Post
                                Thank you, chima_p and nina_70. No, I don't think I've had my blood sugar tested since 1979, when I was pregnant with a very large baby(over 11 lbs) and I had gestational diabetes. After he was born, I was tested again and was fine, so I've never thought about it since. While reading the GCBC book, and finally understanding the science behind insulin resistance, I decided to have the blood sugar test now. Also, I was worried because I've had frozen shoulder twice in the last 10 years, which is prevalent in diabetics. See Frozen Shoulder: American Diabetes Association®.

And, you're right, it's most likely better than it was several months ago, before PB. Hard not to worry, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X