Coconut Oil as Deodorant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Oil as Deodorant

Is there anything that coconut oil can't do? Yesterday I used a dab of coconut oil on each armpit. After spending the day chasing my youngest around, mowing the lawn, and doing cardio on the elliptical, my pits didn't smell one bit afterward! I can't even say that for regular deodorant. It was so amazing that I offered hubby the honor of sniffing my odorless pits. (Okay so that wasn't going to happen, but the look on his face when I asked was priceless.)
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

That's really interesting. Did you use regular, plain CO out of the jar?
    I just googled coconut oil deodorant and the first thing I noticed was that Tropical Traditions makes one Aluminum-Free Deodorants - Tropical Traditions
    But surely, if plain oil works, then that's much easier! Cool discovery

Comment

That's pretty cool. I will have to try it out on a non-work day, just in case it doesn't work for me.

Right now I'm using the thai deodorant stone, which does work pretty well and is cheap. It doesn't do much if I'm already smelly (but what deodorant does?), but it does keep me from stinking if I don't.
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

iiiiinteresting....

I admit, ive been holding on to my CW deodorant, but mostly because I work in an office and tend to go out for walks a lot and since I already walk around in socks/barefoot a lot, I think smelling strongly (not smelling bad, just having a smell that didnt come from some overpriced bottle of chemicals :P) would be just one eccentricity too many.

But I might have to try this out.
        "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

I add baking soda and some scented oil (currently using lavender) to it and mix it all together. There is another thread on here with the exact amounts.

Some people also put corn starch into it.
          People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Nice! I use a salt crystal, but honestly, I stopped smelling since going primal.

Comment

I use it too. No baking soda added or anything - just straight coconut oil. For me, it gives out around mid-day, but I work at home so I can always reapply.

Comment

I read on a site the other day about a bazillion uses for coconut oil and one was what IcarianVX mentioned for mixing your own coconut oil based deodorant. Straightup baking soda works well enough for me, though I don't use it often, but I have also noticed that my overall under-arm smell has reduced since going primal. It used to be pretty constant, now it only happens every now and then or with exertion.
                Depression Lies

Comment

Be aware that the build up of oil over time will cause the arm pits of your shirts to yellow. I've been using a coconut oil mixture for deodorant for about 6 months and started noticing it recently. I did some research and found the best way to prevent it is to spray straight distilled vinegar to the area as a prewash. Dry in the sun if possible.

Comment

Rae, yep, I used the oil out of the jar. Just a small dab rubbed on each armpit did the trick.

Icarian, I saw a recipe online for making coconut oil deodorant and that's what got me curious about it. I'm too lazy to actually mix things together, hence me just using the oil. I was concerned that only using coconut oil would be greasy, but it rubs right in without leaving my pits wet.

Glamorama, I think it's been the opposite with me--since going primal, my armpits have gotten funkier. Using the coconut oil was a shot-in-the-dark kind of thing for me. Before that I had tried a few aluminum-free brands (Tom's, Trader Joe's, Jason) and they all didn't work well (though Jason came close).

Uncephalized and Corvidae, if it worked for my stinky pits, I'm hopeful it'll do the job in a work environment. It boggles my mind that something as simple as coconut oil could get rid of odor better than deodorants at the store. Now I'm wondering what other natural remedies I should be trying--so much to learn still!

Meepster, that's cool you use coconut oil too. Interesting that it doesn't last a full day for you, though. I am routinely soaked in sweat and the oil has held up great the past 2 days. I want to know why the coconut oil works. The only thing I could find was an unsourced tidbit about it eating the bacteria that causes odor. Wish there was more info out there.

Comment

Namelesswonder, how do you use the baking soda?

Clemgrad, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

^Like baby powder, just pour a little in my hand and pat it on. I brush off any excess into the sink. Makes my skin super smooth and soft Supposedly not the best idea to use it straight-up like that, but I don't know why (probably killing natural bacteria or something). I used to use antibacterial soap periodically to wash my pits, which helped for a little while, but the scent would always come back really strongly (probably because I was messing up my natural flora).
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Thanks for explaining that. I wonder if using a makeup or body duster to apply the baking soda would lessen the mess. If coconut oil ever stops working for me, I will keep this in mind.

Comment

Yeah I think a small baby powder bottle with the holes in the close-able cover might worn, but I don't know how the granules of the soda compare to a traditional powder. I don't use baby powder or make-up so I've just been making a mess and using the mess to clean the sink in the process heh.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

Deodorant

Coconut Oil as Deodorant is such a nice technique that is good to know that coconut oil is so beneficial for skin and body, I am definitely gonna try cocnut oil as deodrant. coconut oil is a natural therapy and it doesn't contain any aluminum. I want to ask you something that how to use coconut oil because earlier i used it for a while but i found that I had to wait for it to dry before putting my clothes on otherwise I would get oil stains. so i want to ask that it would not put permanent stairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X