No announcement yet.

Holiday Horror Stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well...at my parents here and traditional food with goose (great!), sauce, potatoes and rice pudding for dessert. I enjoyed it all and then woke up with horrible cramping and gas at 2AM. Guess I just can't hack regular food anymore...

Only other issue is my mom and her diabetes. She's on medication already, has very high fasting blood sugar, high HbA1C and yet was proud that her last blood results showed she didn't need to go on insulin (yet). So, had a long and difficult discussion about diabetes and diet, but to no avail. Unfortunately the doctor says she's doing fine despite the meds & the blood results, and just keeps telling her to eat low-fat and high-grain. So, very sad about that

Comment

Why the HELL do they still do that? It makes no sense! Fats have no impact on insulin whatsoever. Who can't figure that out? I'm tired of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna go binge on organic cookies for comfort!!!!!!

jk, never again...

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Why the HELL do they still do that? It makes no sense!

I wish wish wish I knew. I may be repeating myself, but a couple of months ago I was in to see my ortho surgeon (torn meniscus) and I was asking about inflammation and what foods to avoid. I mentioned sugar as a big "duh" and he said, "Oh, pish-posh - that&#39;s just so much hocus-pocus."

I kid you not. That&#39;s what he said. I just shut my yap and began nodding, plotting my escape. It&#39;s sad and frustrating.

Comment

You name it, I ate it. Although there was something very freeing in knowing that if it came across my plate, I was allowed to eat it, I am happy to be done with it. I feel a little gross and bloated and am looking forward to mid-week when the water weight will fall off. IFing all day today until dinner. Picking up 40LBS of grass fed, organic beef this afternoon. What a great way to end the Christmas binge and start anew!

Comment

Yeah, lots of sugary stuff on Christmas Day, including eggnog with Godiva liqueur. Unfortunately, I have found ways to make very delicious gluten-free foods like cookies and cakes. :P Last night at the in-laws, we had prime rib (oh my!) but it was side-dished with lobster mac-n-cheese (my recipe - GF at least) and my SIL&#39;s mashed potatoes. We also brought Italian beef with peppers to the feast. More yum! Honestly, I was so full from the meat and the sides, that the sugary stuff at the in-laws didn&#39;t appeal to me and I couldn&#39;t eat most of it because of the gluten anyway. (Thank goodness!) Woke up this morning and had ham and eggs fried in butter for breakfast with a cup of tea (no sugar). Ahhh, back on the primal track! It&#39;s funny but I actually am looking forward to eating primally again, instead of the usual dread post-Christmas. I think that is a good sign that this is truly the right way to eat for my health.

Comment

Our holiday dinner was pushed to yesterday because of weather concerns. All I had was Ham and multiple helpings of Yam Casserole topped with Pecans, which I made. I&#39;m not a fan of mayo, so I never have the macaroni salad and I passed on the 4 different desserts. Had to use non-dairy creamer in my coffee, but beggars can&#39;t be choosers!! All in all, not the disaster I was expecting... and I&#39;m not even talking about the food! ;-)

Comment

So is it possible to gain 2.5lbs from two days? Or do you think it&#39;s all water weight from the increase in carbs?

Christmas eve was fatty duck & kale w/ garlic...and a glass of wine.

Christmas Day was alot of good cheese, roast lamb w/ rosemary, turnip & cauliflower. with wine and I broke down on the apple pie (sans crust though). THEN my brothers girlfiend made me a BOX of my favorite cookies (pfeffernusse). Ack why?!!!

Now, if we can eat upwards of like 3000 cal a day in the form of meat & fat, does it totally screw it up if you throw in sugar carbs like that? I tried eating more fat & meat to fill me up but I STILL ended up eating pie & a couple cookies. And now I&#39;m 2.5lbs.

Can you gain weight that quickly??

Comment

it&#39;s mostly probably water weight, Lion. Don&#39;t worry about it.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Oh yeah. Imagine my lack of shock when the scale said 135.6 this morning. I&#39;d been hovering around 131. SO happy to be getting back to a mostly-meat diet. Bye-bye water weight. Now to introduce myself to some exercise...

Comment

I had a wonderful christmas!

I boss my family around mercilessly and kick everyone out of the kitchen lol so they ate my food. I did make some traditional (reduced sugar hee hee) christmas cookies, but I also make many grain free treats (almond butter brownie bites, amaretti, brutti ma buoni, raspberry cheesecake and chocolate cheesecake.) I also made a bacon explosion roll (OMG so good) served shrimp, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos, two kinds of devilled eggs, stuffed mushroom caps and fruit dipped in dark chocolate.

For the turkey dinner, I avoided the stuffing, and my Dad gave me both of the turkey tails to the shock of my Mom and sisters. (They thought that part was unedible!)

I was so happy and felt so blessed to feast and laugh with my family, especially with not knowing yet if my Mom has cancer.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                      -John Lennon

Comment

Christmas was great, tons of family time and it isn&#39;t near over yet. My wife&#39;s family drags it out, and in a good way.

Biggest train wreck was watching my 14 year old morbidly obese 2nd cousin eat bread, chips, crackers and baked sweets, with a minimum of 3 20oz Pepsis, likely more. Now I see why the average US annual sugar intake is so high. My zero, with my 2nd cousin&#39;s 400lbs comes out to 200lb!

Comment

I enjoyed whatever I wanted from Christmas Eve through Boxing Day, from frosted cinnamon rolls (my special recipe) to apple pie to a burger with onion rings to beer and wine. I also skipped a few meals because I simply wasn&#39;t hungery. I didn&#39;t feel sick, didn&#39;t bloat, had some awesome strength workouts, and looked leaner than ever in those gym mirrors.

Guilt? None at all. Rarely do I so indulge -- maybe 4x per yer -- and I was pleased by how well my body handled it. Back to the PB now. Feels good.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I think the one thing that has helped the most is finally knowing that the feeling of "oh my god I&#39;m starving to death and about to pass out, feeeeeeeeed meeeeeeeeee" is in fact sugar withdrawal and can safely be ignored....

Comment

You got that right, NorthernMonkey! One of my favorite things about the PB.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I literally just ate the last Christmas cookie!! And Thank God for that!! I had a Christmas party two weeks prior to Christmas, and I&#39;m sad to say that it has been two weeks of cheating. I&#39;m definitely glad that tomorrow is back to normal. LEM, I haven&#39;t checked your blog yet, but I&#39;m crossing my fingers that you had a little time to post some of those delicious sounding recipes!! On the topic of relatives harassing you about the choices you make, my mother STILL insists that eating no grains is unrealistic, and just a LITTLE won&#39;t hurt!! UGH!! Also, can any other parent who has gone with the baby led weaning approach had to deal with "He&#39;s going to choke!!" or "You aren&#39;t feeding him ANY pureed foods?" I did manage to silence an entire table of protests of my methods with the "death eye"!! I guess motherhood has given me that at least!! tee hee!! Merry Christmas all!! I hope it was full of good cheer, despite the fare!

Comment

Working...
                                X