Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winter IS Coming... Primal/Paleo so NOT in California....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winter IS Coming... Primal/Paleo so NOT in California....

Folks, please, share your strategies & substitutes for staying Primal/paleo in the long, dark and frigging cold months of winter. You know, when salad is the last thing you feel like?

Obviously, soups and stews come to the fore-front...
    If you have enough snow, one can do cross-country instead of walking...
    And a steam room/pool daily is the must for me...
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Make chili, stews, soups, whatever floats your boat. I'm in OH and will still grill out on occassion.
    Georgette

Comment

I grill year-round here in Mini-apple-ish. Smoked fish, soups, stews, crockpot dishes, roasts, all good. I XC ski and play frequently with the kids in the snow. I think this winter I'll score some hockey skates and snowshoes.

Comment

i make a lot of chili, but even here in new england i'll probably keep the grill handy. i generally make my chili on the stove top, so my slow cooker is always free for a stew or slow cooked chunk of meat.

for exercise, cross country skiing is great. i snow shoe a lot, but that's really just because i feel like i can do more with those, and i still get a great workout. also, lots and lots of shoveling. i'm sort of looking forward to it, but i'll be sick of winter about a week in.
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I put my slow cookers to use more in the winter months.
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I love X-country, but there is no culture for X-country trails here in the City of Calgary, it's FRUSTRATING!!! They clear all the walkways in the parks! No X-country trail... They pretty much expect you to drive into the mountains & pay fees. WTF? Okay, my old country can be critiszed for soooo many things, but every tiny park or school yard had a dedicated ski trail in the winter, well used, and people who stomped on it in their boots were frowned upon.

I use slow-cooker year-round

Chili without beans is just not chili

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Chili without beans is just not chili
              Chili with beans is just meh Anyways if you take the time to prepare the beans properly then you would be fine eating it on occasion imo.

Comment

Yes, I know. I will probably make a batch of beans, and portion-freeze to have a chili every 2 weeks or so. Chili without beans is a stew.

Comment

ill be grilling out in the snow!
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

If you eat dairy, don't forget about meatza!
                    Georgette

Comment

Crock-pot/dutch oven time. I love slow cooked meats. Squash is good, and winter greens. I love cale and collards and cabbage and brussels sprouts. And the grill's right outside the door so no problem there. Wear layers and get out in it. I LOVE walking in the woods when it's snowing and quiet. The sound of snow is one of my favorites. And indoor projects. We need to do something with the stairs so we'll be working on them.
                      Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

For me, winter calls for lots of roasted veggies, soups, and dishes with canned pumpkin <3 Favorite veggies to roast are

-Winter squashes (butternut I cut into chunks, and acorn I just take the tops off of)
                        -Broccoli
                        -Onion
                        -Tomato
                        -Sweet potato
                        -Beets
                        -Brussels sprouts

I've been hearing about plantians, so I plan to try roasting them sometime soon, too.

That's a pretty good variety right there. You can also cook all sorts of greens in crockpots with hamhock/baon/jalapeno to get greens without eating a salad. Finally, I love cabbage in soups with other veggies

Comment

Lots of roasts, root vegetables, squashes, soups, stews, and so on. I definitely use my slow cookers a lot (yes, I have more than one). I use a lot of frozen veg in the winter because fresh vegetables are expensive here in winter and are mostly shipped so far that they are nutritionally useless. I do splurge on some tomatoes from a local greenhouse here and there, but even those will vanish for about four months once our days get too short. I've just accepted that seasonal, local eating means a lot of carrots, parsnips, leeks, celeriac, and so on, supplemented with frozen stuff and some stuff like canned tomatoes (I even put frozen spinach in my chili). Lots of frozen berries too--I throw them in smoothies, yogurt, etc.

Cross-country skiing is good. This winter, I want to get some snowshoes--they have some really nice ones at MEC that I've been eyeing. I keep up with CrossFit and try to hit the pool a couple of times a week. We have some indoor track facilities here where you can walk or run in relative comfort. I'll also pick up yoga more again once it gets colder. I find winter exercise becomes much more structured for me because it's just too freaking cold here to want to go for a walk some days. My partner and I are looking at setting up a pullup bar and some rings in our attached garage too.

I'm really lucky to have a sauna in my basement. Spending at least some time each day in the warm feels so good. I also go tanning because even if it's not as good as real sunlight, I am *not* going to sit out in -30C with enough skin uncovered to generate vitamin D that way. Frostbite is just not that appealing.
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                            Crock-pot/dutch oven time. I love slow cooked meats. Squash is good, and winter greens. I love cale and collards and cabbage and brussels sprouts. And the grill's right outside the door so no problem there. Wear layers and get out in it. I LOVE walking in the woods when it's snowing and quiet. The sound of snow is one of my favorites. And indoor projects. We need to do something with the stairs so we'll be working on them.
                            +1

Comment

Somebody mentioned roasts...and root vegetables...don't forget about roasting vegetables of all sorts!

Comment

Working...
                              X