Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I'm stuck in a conventional wisdom nutrition course!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I'm stuck in a conventional wisdom nutrition course!

Hi all,

As a nursing student, I'm required to take a course on nutrition. I had my first class yesterday and my professor seems as if she would be the perfect spokes person for the USDA nutrition guidelines! Pretty much the second thing out of her mouth was condemning saturated fat.

I was wondering if any of you, either on the road to becoming an RD or for another degree, have had experience sitting through a course on nutrition and how you approached the class.

I know we will have to complete a dietary assessment on ourselves, and at this point I don't know if I should try to explain myself or just make up the assignment! It's frustrating knowing that, in my professor's eyes, I'm just plain wrong.

Thanks in advanced!

I think you are just going to have to do what you need to to pass the class. Good luck!
    ~Blog~

Comment

Originally posted by Zophie View Post
      I think you are just going to have to do what you need to to pass the class. Good luck!
      All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.
      Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

Comment

Eating whole foods like meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, fruits, nuts and berries is against the USDA nutrition guidelines?
        Norak's Primal Journal:
        2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
        2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
        2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Cavewoman,

You are being trained to give people the wrong advice. Please read this book by Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis, Wheat Belly.

Here is a book review:
          Fat Head Book Review: Wheat Belly

Dr. Davis has proven time & again that modern wheat is terrible for human health, and causes many diseases. I could not live with myself being forced to feed people such a horrible diet. If you don't do as you are told, you will lose your license.

My wife & I have greatly improved our health & weight loss from giving up wheat products. We are Paleo for Life.

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
            Eating whole foods like meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, fruits, nuts and berries is against the USDA nutrition guidelines?
            YES ! USDA represents Big Food Corporations, and MUST promote their products. Anything else is blasphemy.

Nutritionists MUST follow the guidelines precisely or lose their license.

It is all about MONEY. Keep the population addicted & sickly to maximize profits of Big Pharma, Doctors, Hospitals, & Big Food.

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
              Not exactly, but the government's dietary guidelines are almost scary. This site shows the recommended "food pyramid": Food Guide Pyramid. As you can see, it's very heavy on grains and very low on fats.

For more entertainment, you can surf through the USDA's "MyPlate" site: USDA's MyPlate - Home page. It's full of advice on getting more grains and less fat into your diet. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but obesity rates in the US started rising quickly since the first publication of the low fat guidelines by the USDA in 1980.
              Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCavewoman View Post

I know we will have to complete a dietary assessment on ourselves, and at this point I don't know if I should try to explain myself or just make up the assignment! It's frustrating knowing that, in my professor's eyes, I'm just plain wrong.

Thanks in advanced!
                I wouldn't make up my food intake. Surely you are not the only one in class who doesn't follow a "perfect" USDA diet.

It's going to be the answers to test questions that will be tough. The correct answer, or what the professor taught you? You aren't going to change her mind, and she can't exactly teach blasphemy in a structured university classroom, so suck it up and answer what she wants to hear.
                cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
                2/20/11: 210
                9/19/11: 185.5
                goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Comment

Taking/passing the nutrition course is the easy part; like everyone else said, just do what you have to do, and tell the professor what she wants to hear. The hard part will be when you're working as a nurse, especially in a hospital. Surrounded by obese diabetic patients every day, watching them being served carb- and grain-laden meals, and administering barrels of insulin based on the astronomical blood sugars resulting from said meals. Shoveling statins into people every night. Etc., etc., etc. And prohibited from speaking out against it (if you want to keep your license/job). I often make some not-too-subtle "suggestions" to my patients, but I can't officially go against the party line.

Comment

You swallow your pride and act like a dumb mule so you can get the grade.

This is what I had to go through in my humanities courses at engineering school, all taught by tea sucking, half-baked intellectuals that were brought up in the 60s and couldn't hold a logical thought between their soft little ears if their life depended on it.

You're not there to change the world, you're there to get the grade and get on with your career.

Don't give it a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
                      Not exactly, but the government's dietary guidelines are almost scary. This site shows the recommended "food pyramid": Food Guide Pyramid. As you can see, it's very heavy on grains and very low on fats.
                      Just cut out the bottom part of the pyramid. Problem solved.

We have similar recommendations in Norway, but I've always considered the grain advice to be for financial reasons, i.e. grains is the cheapest way to get healthy nutrients. The government can not recommend that people base their diet on meat, fish and fowl, because that would be too expensive, so they recommend grains as a cheaper substitute. So, just say you can afford not eating grains and you can still eat within the USDA guidelines.

... or even better, just say you don't like grains.

When I was a kid, I only ate bread because we could not afford meat for every meal. If we actually could afford it, there would be no reason whatsoever to continue eating bread or grain products... I think it's the same thing with rice in many countries.
                      Norak's Primal Journal:
                      2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                      2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                      2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

It is really disgusting that people are sooo brainwashed to eat the USDA food guidelines. The EPIDEMIC of Obesity, Diabetes, Heart Disease and MUCH MORE are a direct result of these Frankenstein guidelines. The book, "Wheat Belly" was just released last week and is already attracting fire from the Big Guns.
                        Do you eat wheat? I thought so. | The Heart Scan Blog

I feel sorry for Dr. Davis. The Big Guns will likely revoke his doctors license for publishing his book.
                        http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...w-wheat-belly/

NO ONE is allowed to tell the TRUTH about our Food, Medical & Drug Propaganda Machine. Thank GOD he has the BIG BRASS BALLS to stand up against the Big Business Bullies. I wish him the best. My order for his book is in. We ordered it from Amazon.Com.

Grizz
                        Last edited by Grizz; 09-08-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

if it's a good nutrition class you should be able to do just fine while still adhering to primal laws. your teacher may be a little gung-ho about CW wisdom, but s/he can't really lower your grade if your work is clear and covers all the bases. this website is loaded with research about why saturated fat is good, why grains are bad, and there are hundreds of personal accounts as to the effectiveness of the primal blueprint to not only help a person lose weight and fat, but correct overall health. a nutrition class shouldn't be preaching what to eat, it should be teaching about how what a person eats affects the body. granted, those are facts backed up by plenty of conflicting research, but it's research just the same.
                          don't change your thinking or lie about what you eat or anything like that--support it. if your teacher has a problem with the nurses study and gives you a bad grade...well, that's what the appeal process is for. just be precise, and you'll be fine.
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

cavewoman,

I agree with what dado, zophie & darkmistress said earlier. Just nod your head, get good grades and keep your mouth shut. Your only task for now is to graduate and get a good job. All of us know that the Nutrition Course is a farce and a crime against humanity.

Don't attempt to change the course or to convince anyone of better nutrition ideas. Let the revolutionaries like Dr. Wm Davis fight the "Autocratic System." After you are well established into your new career, you might want to join with Dr. Davis in making waves. Now is not the time or the place. Just play dumb, follow along, and tell them what they want to hear.

Grizz
                            Last edited by Grizz; 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I can't even BEGIN to thank you all! I definitely feel more comfortable just shutting up and passing the course now. For my diet assessment, I will just use my real diet and then analyze how it should be "made more healthy according to the USDA guidelines." :roll eyes:
                              Thank you, thank you, thank you all!

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                              I feel sorry for Dr. Davis. The Big Guns will likely revoke his doctors license for publishing his book.
                              Such ridiculousness for the truth. I am definitely hoping for him that they don't, though such an action will someday reflect how nonsensical such organizations are on the matter of modern nutrition.

Originally posted by dado View Post
                              You're not there to change the world, you're there to get the grade and get on with your career.

Don't give it a second thought.
                              I won't now! Thanks. For now I'll worry about passing and graduating and then I can worry about changing the world. But I'll leave that up to others for now!

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X