My Workplace is Well-Intentioned, Yet Wholly Misguided

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Workplace is Well-Intentioned, Yet Wholly Misguided

Lead article in our monthly Employee "Wellness" newsletter, sent out company-wide (1,000+ people) this morning:

Go for Whole Grains

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend half of our grain intake come from whole grains as they offer many health benefits from protecting your heart to reducing cancer risk to aiding in blood sugar control. Here are some tips to help boost your intake of whole grains:
    • Breakfast is a great time to incorporate whole grains as many cereals are excellent sources of whole grain including bran and oat cereals.
    • You can substitute whole wheat flour for half of the white flour in bread, muffins, pancakes and waffle recipes.
    • Try substituting brown rice, kasha, wild rice or bulgur for white rice or mix a combination of different types in stir fries or side dishes.
    • Choose whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas when making Mexican dishes.
    • Use brown rice or barley when making soups or add to pre-made soups.
    • Try less common whole grains such as barley, bulgur, wheat berries, kasha, amaranth, quinoa, and whole wheat couscous as sides. You may discover some new family favorites.
    • Opt for whole grains when dining out. At delis, choose whole grain bread or pitas. Some Italian restaurants offer whole wheat pasta or whole wheat pizza crust. At Asian restaurants brown rice is becoming more available as an option.
    • Mix whole grain cereal into your trail mix.
    • Short on time? Try quick-fix whole grain side dishes such as whole wheat couscous and instant or microwaveable brown rice.

September is Whole Grains Month. For more information contact the Whole Grains Council at:
    The Whole Grains Council

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that I work for a hospital.
    It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

...If I tried incorporating less than half of that into my daily diet I'd be in hospital within 2 hours of it passing my lips. =/
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeItSo View Post
      Lead article in our monthly Employee "Wellness" newsletter, sent out company-wide (1,000+ people) this morning:

Go for Whole Grains

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend half of our grain intake come from whole grains as they offer many health benefits from protecting your heart to reducing cancer risk to aiding in blood sugar control. Here are some tips to help boost your intake of whole grains:
      • Breakfast is a great time to incorporate whole grains as many cereals are excellent sources of whole grain including bran and oat cereals.
      • You can substitute whole wheat flour for half of the white flour in bread, muffins, pancakes and waffle recipes.
      • Try substituting brown rice, kasha, wild rice or bulgur for white rice or mix a combination of different types in stir fries or side dishes.
      • Choose whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas when making Mexican dishes.
      • Use brown rice or barley when making soups or add to pre-made soups.
      • Try less common whole grains such as barley, bulgur, wheat berries, kasha, amaranth, quinoa, and whole wheat couscous as sides. You may discover some new family favorites.
      • Opt for whole grains when dining out. At delis, choose whole grain bread or pitas. Some Italian restaurants offer whole wheat pasta or whole wheat pizza crust. At Asian restaurants brown rice is becoming more available as an option.
      • Mix whole grain cereal into your trail mix.
      • Short on time? Try quick-fix whole grain side dishes such as whole wheat couscous and instant or microwaveable brown rice.

September is Whole Grains Month. For more information contact the Whole Grains Council at:
      The Whole Grains Council

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that I work for a hospital.
      If it makes you feel any better, I work for a fortune 20 company who would promote the same thing... AND we are a major distributor of medical and pharmaceutical. SHOCK!
      sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I can claim that at least half of my grain intake is from whole grains.

Trying to calculate it might cause a "divide by zero" error, but whatever.

Comment

admittedly, switching people from processed grains to whole grains *can* help improve health, and from there, moving to sprouted/fermented makes another huge difference, and hten frmo there, going away from it.

consider it babysteps. LOL

Comment

I love their helpful tone of voice. Like most of the readers are idiots or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
              I love their helpful tone of voice. Like most of the readers are idiots or something.

Kinda reminds me of how people talk to babies. lol
              I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Because we don't want to pay your pension...
                In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

We get this nonsense as well and I have to wonder how it is that we have anybody on the payroll that has the time to produce it.
                  Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I will say, on the other hand, that my workplace does do a weekly on-site Farmer's Market this time year (for 8 weeks), where we are able to purchase fresh & local organic fruits and veggies via payroll deduction. If only those booths weren't sandwiched between the ones for kettle corn and cookies!

Comment

I am so sick of hearing about brown rice. I ate so much of that crap when I was staying at someone's house last month, and it was just such a pain to digest. (Didn't help that it was undercooked.) I don't care if it's not quite accurate, but I've resorted to describing the hull as its 'defense system' to convince people that it's not so great...

Comment

I think they are onto something here. Personally I'd say all your grain intake should be from whole grains though.

There's nothing in the list given that says you should be eating a lot of grains, only that whatever grains you eat should be whole grains. That's they way I see it anyway...
                        Norak's Primal Journal:
                        2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                        2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                        2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
                          I think they are onto something here. Personally I'd say all your grain intake should be from whole grains though.

There's nothing in the list given that says you should be eating a lot of grains, only that whatever grains you eat should be whole grains. That's they way I see it anyway...
                          I disagree, they're basically pointing out every potential instance a person has any opportunity to eat, and asking them to choose whole grains over other grains. The message is still: choose grains all the time.

Would it cause a major ruckus if you "replied all" with some mild article about how grains actually suck ass? Probably. I would phrase it like "I appreciate that the company has our best interest at heart but this information is misleading, here's why." followed with "I don't eat any grains/I don't eat much in the way of grains/etc and I feel much better as a result... and I lost weight" since chances are people will give a shit more about the weight-loss bit than any health benefit.
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I think it would cause some kind of ruckus for sure... but maybe I'll be ready to cause a small ruckus after I've been here more than a month. That and a little further along in my primal journey (still working on the last of my wheat belly).

The company has put a lot of effort into their "wellness" prgram in the past year, and while I agree with some of it (employee incentives for completing sleep logs, walking 10+ miles/week), the whole thing is flawed from the get-go, as they've pretty much based the nutritional portion off of the USDA food pyramid. Zombie Jesus forbid that someone question their policies and our gummerment!

Sadly, I'm sure this is what 99.9% of the employee wellness programs out there look like, if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                              I'm pretty sure that I can claim that at least half of my grain intake is from whole grains.

Trying to calculate it might cause a "divide by zero" error, but whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X