Jika-tabi as a vibram stand in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jika-tabi as a vibram stand in?

Japanese jika-tabi are very very similar to the vibrams and a whole lot cheaper and more available (1180 yen -- about $13). The soles are much thinner than regular shoes and very flexible; the toe box is split into two spaces: one for the big toe and one for the rest and is quite roomy.

Just thought I'd throw this out here for comments / to bring it to the attention of people on a budget. I've attached a picture.
    Attached Files
    Primal food in Japan

Thanks, officially awesome. Must obtain.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

This is a cool and affordable option for sure! I have been trying to spread the word about water shoes/pool shoes, as people seem to think one needs to spend close to (or upwards of) $100 for actual VFFs or other fancy name brand "barefoot" shoes. I feel you can get the same effect for a lot less, and this is yet another way to do that! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by honeypig View Post
        This is a cool and affordable option for sure! I have been trying to spread the word about water shoes/pool shoes, as people seem to think one needs to spend close to (or upwards of) $100 for actual VFFs or other fancy name brand "barefoot" shoes. I feel you can get the same effect for a lot less, and this is yet another way to do that! Thanks!
        +10000 I love my pool shoes, with those you don't even really need these, but these look awesome! I'm gonna pretend to get them for Halloween...

Comment

It had never crossed my mind at all to try these until when the vibrams were shown on a Japanese variety show and the host commented that they were almost the same as jika-tabi :P Just another example of wisdom from the past I guess; tabi have a long history.
          Primal food in Japan

Comment

I will see if i can find these around here...we have a big Asian community and it shouldn't be hard...although finding them in my size might be!
            I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Be killing you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by honeypig View Post
                yeah I tried those things, took 2 weeks to grow the skin back from the bottom of my foot. I'll stick with the brand names, and my skin.
                My Fitday public journal.
                Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
                  yeah I tried those things, took 2 weeks to grow the skin back from the bottom of my foot. I'll stick with the brand names, and my skin.
                  wow, how did that happen? was it your first ever attempt to wear minimalist shoes or something? I never had skin problems at all wearing mine.

Comment

Ninja-turtle toes! Even more goofy looking than VFFs, if that's even possible =P
                    Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      wow, how did that happen? was it your first ever attempt to wear minimalist shoes or something? I never had skin problems at all wearing mine.
                      It was, and I primarily kept the first few days of use around the house, went for a 1/4mi walk and came home with raw feet. Really sucked. They just didn't work with me - last time I bought shoes at walmart too.
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Not sure where one would get them in NA, so here a link to a relevant search on amazon.jp
                        Amazon.co.jp: 地下足袋 - ホーム&キッチン
                        Primal food in Japan

Comment

I think it's worth noting that several brands of wetsuit shoes/aqua shoes are also made in models with split toes. Same concept, but the soles on these are probably a bit tougher than on wetsuit shoes.
                          Norak's Primal Journal:
                          2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                          2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                          2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by Faumdano View Post
                            Not sure where one would get them in NA, so here a link to a relevant search on amazon.jp
                            Amazon.co.jp: ’n‰コ‘ォ‘ワ - ƒzーƒ€&ƒLƒbƒ`ƒ“
                            The sole on these looks almost identical to that of my Feiyues, if that's the case, then they probably wear out just as fast, especially if running on asphalt mostly. They probably do feel better regardless, but that's a concern...

I think pool shoes are the best option for me still. Straight up barefoot for mild jogs, pool shoes for sprints.

Comment

I had considered getting some pool shoes too. These, however, are sold at any old homecenter / hardware store in Japan because carpenters and the like are fond of them, so they were easier to get a hold of (for me). Even if they do end up wearing out fast-ish, at a little over $10 a pair, I'm not so concerned :P
                              Primal food in Japan

Comment

Working...
                              X