State fair time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State fair time

I am going to the fair on Sunday. I believe in planning ahead! I do not really want to take food with me as I prefer to have hands free. Suggestions for food? Please do not suggest nuts/trail mix. I am allergic to nuts. I want to stay on plan. Here is my thinking:

turkey legs: sticky sweet marinades (pass)
    fried foods (vegetable oils no doubt- they are cheap) -pass

suggestions?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Chicken Satay will be at my state fair. Maybe they have BBQ that you can get with no sauce. Or just eat a big breakfast.

Comment

What about just plain sausage? I think I remember seeing sausage on a stick before at a fair. And the turkey legs might not be coated in a marinade. Seems like that would make them burn in the fryer.

Comment

Eat before you leave, Enjoy the fair and eat again when you get home. That's what I do when I'm going some where with poor food choices.
        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

deep fried bubble gum, totally primal
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

At the MN State Fair I found a Sausage stand with a nice sampler platter with sauerkraut. There was grilled pork chops, grilled gator, grilled Ostrich, grass-fed jerky, and a deep-fried Snickers bar. Sure, the last item wasn't primal but sure was enjoyable.

Comment

The way I see it... the State Fair is a once a year thing and I would not stress out about it. I would enjoy something and not worry about it.
              "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
              - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Oh yes, let it go and enjoy. I can't wait to try the fried butter! Eat, drink, be merry, and maybe feel sick the next day. It's fun!

Comment

Eat whatever you want, then do back-to-back-to-back rides on the Tilt-a-Whirl. This should limit your digestion time nicely.
                  It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

Comment

I took my son to Elitch's (Denver) about a week ago. I ate a big breakfast and skipped lunch. I was not going to trust any cheap crap food there - not worth feeling sick IMO. Bring along some beef jerky & dried fruit if you must snack. Bring your own water bottle and fill up at drinking fountains. The water at Elitch's was 3.59 a bottle - the same ones you buy for <.25 at the store! It was a hot day and we drank about 10 bottles between us.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldsmith View Post
                      The way I see it... the State Fair is a once a year thing and I would not stress out about it. I would enjoy something and not worry about it.
                      Agree. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. Yeah, the turkey legs and bbq might have some sugar in their sauces and marinades, but it certainly wont be more than 100g.

(although I have heard from ren-fairers tio be wary of turkey legs cause theyre often not cooked enough and/or left sitting at improper temperatures for a long period of time)
                      "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

some great food for thought- in more than one way.

I plan to bring a water bottle or refillable cup so I can get ice water. I will look into the sausage or try and find some grilled meat. What a great time to try gator!!

As for the fried stuff, I have been doing so well.. if it has a batter no thanks. I know it will totally jack with my system and its about 60 miles from home. Not much on the Kansas prairie between the fair and home.

thanks ya'll!
                        Karin

Comment

I went to the county fair this summer and planned to eat some of that delicious fair food. Walking around, though, nothing appealed to me and it was all so ridiculously expensive. We ended up going out for Mexican food on the way home instead. It wasn't totally primal, but it was so good and didn't cost $20 per person like the fair food would have. I was hungry while at the fair, but I was happy with my choice in the end.
                          My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

WENT AND HAD A BLAST! LOTS of Paleo options. I had a Gyro minus the pita and later has chicken on a stick that was no muss no fuss grilled at the redneck eatery. Now besides water I splurged on the fresh lemonade but hey.. it was hot, it was good, the fair is once a year and I could have been a WHOLE LOT WORSE Score me I say!!

Other options not chosen: Tons of BBQ pit options (ribs, brisket etc.), sausages (like mentioned in another post), burger joints galore etc.
                            Karin

Comment

Working...
                            X