Do you take a daily multi-vitamin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you take a daily multi-vitamin?

I am reading and hearing conflicting things about why you should or should not take a daily multi-vitamin. Do you take one and is it necessary?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Necessary? Probably not.

I do take a daily multi. (Puritan's Pride Mega-Vita Gel). I find I'm less apt to get wicked cravings and/or cave to cravings when I keep up with my vitamins.

Comment

I don't. But I do take 10 capsules of super-greens pr day to supplement the lack of vitamins/minerals in the food I eat (due to deficient soil and modern farming etc). Its considered a food, not a supplement as such.

I do take zinc, magnesium and glucosamine for my leaky gut, and of course, wild salmon oil.

Comment

I do, but I'm really hard on my body. Plus I know the quality of the food I'm eating may not be optimal. I live in the desert - not much is grown locally here.

I also supplement with a B complex, fish oil, magnesium and a probiotic, though I don't plan on taking the probiotic or the fish oil very much longer.
        Durp.

Comment

I take a multi and fish oil.

Comment

i sporadically take a multi (gnc's women's ultra mega)

i do take cod liver oil, vit d, vit c, coq-10, and some others daily. my eating is spotty and most times i just eat the same things so yeah
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

I take a multi, plus additional D, plus an additional B mix (12, mostly), plus fish oil, plus CoQ10, plus milk thistle for liver concerns (used to drink way too much).

I think I eat a very varied diet compared to most, and lots of it is vegetables, but I'm sure I'm missing things here and there, so it's kind of a coverall.
              Last edited by carlh; 09-06-2011, 07:39 AM.
              carl's cave

Comment

Every other day.

Comment

interesting...thank u!
                  I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

I have taken loads of different supplements in the past, but now I'm only taking probiotics and vitamin D3. I take the probiotics because I've got IBS and have had problems whit candida and parasites, and D3 because I don't get enough sun light.
                    I don't think most supplements are really necessary as long as you have varied diet, and they might even do more harm than good in some cases. I can't take magnesium or 5-htp for example, they give me digestive problems ...
                    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
                    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Comment

A prenatal plus iron and when I remember, fish oil. I try and eat healthy and get lots of veggies but I know I prob don't eat as many greens as I should. Trying to develop taste buds for things like kale and chard but so far still having to gag those down. The vits make sure I get everything, and its important since we are thinking of TTC.
                      See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I don't take any supplements at all. I think the money is better spent on real food. I can see that if, for some reason such as traveling for work, you couldn't eat right all the time, they might be useful. But, for me, I prefer to eat and drink my vitamins instead of taking them in a pill.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                          Necessary? Probably not.

I do take a daily multi. (Puritan's Pride Mega-Vita Gel). I find I'm less apt to get wicked cravings and/or cave to cravings when I keep up with my vitamins.
                          I've been looking for a multi w/o iron. Since I've gone primal, I found my usual multi w/ iron was making me nauseous. I feel so dumb for not checking Puritan's Pride before. Just ordered some of the mega-vita gel :-)

Comment

I take 1 tablet (out of 6 for a full serving - thorne naturals iron and copper free) if I feel like my days worth of food wasn't up to scratch. That dose probably doesn't do much, but at least will get me into the RDA range for my vitamins. I take magnesium when I'm training hard, zinc on occasion, fermented cod liver oil from time to time and vitamin D if I can't get any sun. I try and get as much as possible from food, but it isn't always practical.
                            "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

-Unless we stop filtering it out of the water, I'll probably always supplement magnesium. Especially right now because PCOS exacerbates magnesium deficiency. Everyone who doesn't roll in rich soil, swim in the ocean or drink hard water probably should.
                              -I take fermented cod liver oil for A&D plus some omega-3 with a pat of cultured, pasture-raised butter.
                              -I take zinc because PCOS or whatever is causing it messes up the zinc/copper balance.
                              -I also take potassium iodide because I am using DIM, which, while supposedly supporting estrogen metabolism, also has the goitrogenic properties of the cruciferous veggies it comes from.
                              -I put palm oil on my face every night and sometimes eat a spoonful. It has a lot of vitamins E and A and I use it more as a supplement than as an integral part of my diet, but I'm working on that. I'd like to get bone broths and seaweed broths into my diet too, but dorm life isn't really conducive to those kinds of routines.

Comment

Working...
                              X