Soap: what to look for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soap: what to look for?

Planning on taking a look at a specialty store for some new soap. I know a lot of people here don't stress about the kind they use, but I have sensitive skin and looking for something minimal that won't cause too much irritation. But I'd like to cut through the BS...do any of the products here seem worthwhile enough to try? What ingredients really promote skin health and which ones are just for show?

I swear swear swear by this one: Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Retail Store: Classic Liquid & Bar Soaps

My kdis have eczema and this soap has really been good for them, Same with Billy Goat Soap.

Comment

lush soaps are pretty expensive for glycerine bars, and the lilac bar i tried dried my hands out pretty badly but i'd say if lush is what you want to try, any of these will do. just pick one that sounds like it smells good

when i made soap, my skin really liked the bars with mango or shea or coconut butters. basically just lye and oils recipes, my skin was really clean and really soft with no irritation or need for lotion

so i highly advocate handmade bars instead
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

PS! I wouldn't go LUSH myself, all that fragrance can't be good? Just walking into their store makes me feel sick!

Soap-bars made with coconut oil, goats milk or olive oil are all great.

Comment

I recommend making your own soap. You can use many of the oils that you eat on the Primal diet, and maybe use up some of them that you can't. I've dabbled in soap making and it's a lot of fun--I've just been too busy to make any lately. If you have a stick blender and can find pure lye, you're in business. There are a lot of recipes online (cold process is the easiest), and you can experiment with what you and your skin likes. Pure castille soap is just made with olive oil and it's always nice. I like mine fragranced and as a candlemaker I have plenty of fragrances that are skin safe, but that's up to you. The saponification process is truly amazing.

Comment

I'm all about the Doc Bronners myself. I use the peppermint and it tingles like crazy when I give myself a good hard scrub. (I've got the WORST CASE of 'chicken skin' that I've ever seen, but I've heard that going gluten-free helps it so...I'll let y'all know!)
            Down from 275 to 250!
            Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
            Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Comment

Another vote for Dr. Bronners. I use the unscented baby soap, which actually smells really good.

Comment

Originally posted by petriquor View Post
                Planning on taking a look at a specialty store for some new soap. I know a lot of people here don't stress about the kind they use, but I have sensitive skin and looking for something minimal that won't cause too much irritation. But I'd like to cut through the BS...do any of the products here seem worthwhile enough to try? What ingredients really promote skin health and which ones are just for show?
                That Lush soap is really expensive. Doc Bronners is pretty good. Here's a shameless plug for my sister-in-law's homemade natural soap.

Comment

Originally posted by Westly View Post
                  I'm all about the Doc Bronners myself. I use the peppermint and it tingles like crazy when I give myself a good hard scrub. (I've got the WORST CASE of 'chicken skin' that I've ever seen, but I've heard that going gluten-free helps it so...I'll let y'all know!)
                  vitamin A *nodnod* liver or cod liver oil, makes mine soooo much better
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

Oooh! Thanks for the suggestion! Will look into it!

(Also, nice icon!!)
                    Down from 275 to 250!
                    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
                    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Comment

A big fan of the doc bronner soap. I use the bars for washing, shaving...used to use it on my hair but it left it feeling weird so I stopped.
                      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I like the lavender soap from Trader Joe's.
                        I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                        Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                        "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

I also use Dr Bronners Castile soap. currently using the citrus one- fresh!

Comment

Look for just plain soap made from vegetable oils (castile soap) without fragrances. Whole Foods, Target, and even some Safeways carry Dr. Bronner's Unscented Baby Mild liquid soap. It's expensive, but unit price decreases in the larger sizes. I buy the gallon jug (find this at crunchier health food stores) and it lasts more than a year.

As for Lush, I don't believe their "fresh, homemade" slogan. Their products contain SLS (petroleum-derived detergent, drying to the skin) and parabens (possibly an endocrine disruptor), neither of which is fresh nor something you would use to make soap at home.
                            Primal Breakfast Club

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I might end up compromising (for now) due to the prices and try Dial Basics or Yardley soap instead. They have fragrance and other additives but they definitely have less, and seem better than traditional soap. But I'll take a peek over at Trader Joe's next time I'm there, see what else I can find.

Comment

Working...
                              X