Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Day Cold Shower Challenge: The Final Test

Hey guys!

Hope everyone's doing great and rocking it.

A few weeks ago, I posted about the 30 Day Cold Shower Challenge, I took, and successfully completed (not without some early struggles I must say!)

On Day 31, in true Grok fashion, I challenged myself to one final test: go swim somewhere really cold.

I made a little video about it, I think you guys will dig it.

Check it out!

How To Beat The Cold Shower Challenge | The Feel Good Lifestyle

Anyone up for a little challenge?

Phil
    Last edited by phildrolet; 09-04-2011, 10:59 PM.

nice video thats the way to do it (its nice once your in )cures all sorts
    i am the invisable man

Comment

Swimming somewhere cold, you say?
      I've been swimming several times in the atlantic sea off the coast of Ireland. How cold was the water where you were?

Comment

hehe - come back when you're ready for this challenge:

That's the final test... j/k awesome that you do the cold shower stuff. I frequently use the cold plunge bath at the gym.
        Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Jesus!!!

Ok that's just... insane.

Water where I was was like 16 degrees.. not that cold at all, but enough so that 99% of people don't go in.

But now I feel like I gotta step it up a notch after seeing this... maybe an ice bath tomorrow?

Comment

I just don't see the point. But if it makes you happy, Grok, on!

Comment

^That. What's the point? The 'benefits' noted seem to be the same as if someone were to slap you across the face every morning.

Comment

Originally posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
                ^That. What's the point? The 'benefits' noted seem to be the same as if someone were to slap you across the face every morning.
                Eh, I'd say the benefits are more than that.

I do cold rinses almost every time, but haven't the desire yet to just stand in cold water. It IS truly great to prevent DOMS though, so if you're working out often it's great to not be so sore day in and day out. That does require standing under cold water for longer, what I try to do is just move around a bit rather than stand and shiver.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Yeah, I can see how there could be benefits, but they don't outweigh the pleasure factor of a hot shower I guess for me. If it works though, keep at it. As for DOMS, I haven't really been having much issue with it lately despite working pretty hard IMO and upping my lifts each week. Good idea though.

Comment

I think i'm gonna try this out. I've always been wussy when it comes to cold water, swimming in lakes/rivers. I want to conquer that fear/unpleasantness and the damn king of fearlessly jumping into mountain rivers. I'm going to look at this as toughness training. This is just mind over matter and an excellent example of the tiny things you can do day to day to improve yourself.

The idea of the "what would the BEST version of yourself do?" I like this a lot. It's where I've been trying to head also. To actually become the ideal image of myself in all aspects of my life. No longer dreaming and wishing I was this ideal image...but actually working towards it.

I see the benefits to be more of the mental confidence of overcoming a situation where 95% of people would stutter/falter or fail. It's about knowing yourself and where you stand. Intimate knowledge of what you can do and how you'll handle it.

<0

Comment

Originally posted by LessThanZero View Post
                      I think i'm gonna try this out. I've always been wussy when it comes to cold water, swimming in lakes/rivers. I want to conquer that fear/unpleasantness and the damn king of fearlessly jumping into mountain rivers. I'm going to look at this as toughness training. This is just mind over matter and an excellent example of the tiny things you can do day to day to improve yourself.

The idea of the "what would the BEST version of yourself do?" I like this a lot. It's where I've been trying to head also. To actually become the ideal image of myself in all aspects of my life. No longer dreaming and wishing I was this ideal image...but actually working towards it.

I see the benefits to be more of the mental confidence of overcoming a situation where 95% of people would stutter/falter or fail. It's about knowing yourself and where you stand. Intimate knowledge of what you can do and how you'll handle it.

<0
                      Um. Not buying it. I fully know that I could take a cold shower any time I wanted to. I just don't choose to. I can see the idea of working on improving and toughening yourself, say through physical conditioning, but showers? Still not seeing the point.

Comment

I can understand that. Not everything we do is for some physical benefit. Sometimes it's a comforting mental reassurance or a virtual pat on the back. I'd like to expand that philosophy to include some of what Phil's message (that I received) which is...what would your ideal self do? That is...the person you would like to be.

This is just a minor step on that road to overcome a mental block or challenge. I'm not saying that I'll never take a hot shower again. I'm just saying that I see this as an excellent drill into overcoming a shocking physical condition, driving through that pain/shock/stimuli and quickly regaining your mental faculties and operating normally. It's like 'sprints for your mind' to not allow regression into a un-thinking and reactive state during times of stress to your physical body.

Think of it as an excercise in stress management.

I'm liking this more and more, Phil.

<0

Comment

I just climbed a 19,340 foot high mountain. I don't feel the need to prove my mental or physical toughness by taking a cold shower. But, like I said, have fun.

Comment

I read a while back that it is good for your skin and hair, and for your circulation. I don't know how true all that is, although I think it does help with your hair a little, at least if you have my kind and don't do any shampoo (but it is negligible). But, it definitely saves a little money for hot water. I think it helps with cold tolerance. It's nice not to "need" water for bathing/showers, as this is a situation that you encounter as you go about your life from time to time for one reason or another. And, most importantly, it does seem more invigorating, and gets me going better. I don't languish in the shower as long as I did in the past. Once adjusted, it's only the very beginning of the shower that is slightly uncomfortable for a brief moment.

Comment

I took an 80% cold shower this morning. I figured I'd ease in a bit. I did blast it down to 100% at the end.

One thing is for sure, my shower was much shorter lol!!

I think it felt pretty good. I'm going to stick with it a bit and see how I feel. I'm sorta wondering if this is good for stretched out skin and getting it to snap back into shape. I'll be able to plunge into rivers and lakes no problem soon!

<0

Comment

Working...
                              X