No announcement yet.

A thread for those TTC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that everyone has been doing well!

LisaLS, how are you doing? I've been thinking about you.

Sherissima, good luck with the IVF. I think being excited and positive is good. It can be a bit overwhelming during the shots, and then the two week wait. Please be sure to pamper yourself a bit these next couple of weeks.

Jkmorray, welcome!

Rose, my fingers are crossed for you!

Heather, the prenatal question is an interesting one. I go to a whole food nutritionist who is a PB advocate. She analyzed my diet, which is mostly Whole30 with a few deviations. She recommended that I do take prenatals because there are so many nutrients one needs every day. It means, of course, that one still eats the very best one can too, but (at least she argued) provides that extra insurance. I suppose in one way, ladies, we're lucky: when you're TTC, you are conscious about your nutrition in a way you might not be if the pregnancy was unplanned. The one that she has me on is called Thorne Basic Prenatal. She also has me on probiotics and increased my vitamin D and omega 3. I started this last week and I have to tell you I have slept like a log. I'm not exactly sure why, but lately (the last couple years) I have not slept deeply at all. I wonder if there is something that I was lacking that was affecting my sleep. My period is supposed to start soon (probably today) and usually the night before I toss and turn and get very hot. Didn't happen at all.

Also, I did find some downloadable meditation tapes specifically for those TTC, including TTC through IVF. I haven't listened to them myself, but they do seem to be recommended highly by others on a TTC forum I sometimes visit. Here's the link. Anji Inc. - Balancing Mind || Body || Spirit to Boost Natural Fertility I'm going to purchase one and will report back.

It looks like they also have the meditations on CD as well.

Have a great week!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherJ View Post
      I don't currently take a prenatal. I have read conflicting information regarding them; some say you need them, some say you don't. I am currently working on various issues so am taking specific supplements to correlate with them. I think once I'm fully 'healed' I won't need a multi because I'll have fixed my body and have plenty of stored nutrients. That's the idea, anyhow.
      The only thing I plan to continue taking once pregnant are my daily cod liver oil+high vitamin butter capsules.
      Same here, although in addition to the CLO/BO I am also taking a separate vitamin D supplement, and plan to start a Vitamin K supplement soon too. I also take probiotics daily, hoping to wean off them and onto more probiotic foods (kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, pickles, yogurt) at some point. Right now I need both supplements and foods though.

Comment

Just wanted to remind everyone to get their Vitamin D level tested and supplement (and/or sunbathe!) until your levels are between 50-80 ng/ml.

Sufficient Vitamin D is essential for hormonal balance and you want to make sure your levels are good while you are pregnant, anyway!

Here's an article--I can't seem to track down the original study cited:
        Vitamin D can aid fertility - Telegraph
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Second that Vitamin D! Mine was low when I tested (29) and I have upped my levels significantly with supplements. A bonus: I used to have a lot of tooth pain, and I've noticed that has disappeared!

For those of you not taking prenatals, do you take folate? If not, what foods and what amounts do you take to insure that you have enough?

Comment

TBH I don't take prenatals because atm it would just be one more tablet to take and I hate taking tablets!

Right now, I take CLO+hi vit butter capsules, probiotics, a B-complex, magnesium, and finally phenylalanine & tyrosine for adrenal fatigue and endorphin depletion.

Hot damn, that's a lot of pills. Once I'm feeling more balanced and restored, I want to ditch the amino acids, probiotics, and B-complex, and focus on upping my iron levels (for my chronic anaemia), Vit D, and still take magnesium & CLO/butter. I know I could take everything at once but I just feel like it's overwhelming to my body and I'd rather make safe, gradual changes instead of overloading on supplements.

Comment

That makes sense, HeatherJ. It does get overwhelming!

Comment

No bub this month. I'll use this time to dial things in a bit and up the exercise. Unfortunately the weather has turned bad here and my daily walks are out. Bring on summer!
                When is your transfer dmc? Is it October or late Sept?

Comment

So sorry to hear that, Rose. Fingers crossed for next month. Sorry to hear that the weather is bad--that always puts a damper on things.

I'm just waiting for my cycle to begin, which should be any day. After that, it should be around 3 weeks, plus or minus.

Are the carb/sugar cravings getting better?

Comment

I'm not too down about it, it is only the first month we have tried after the miscarriage and I wasn't expecting it to happen the first time, not at my age.
                    My fingers will be crossed for you too.

I've not eaten that great lately as my partners birthday has meant we have had cake and chocolates in the house and that tends to be my major weakness. On the other hand I am now ok with my decaf coffee with no sugar or sweetener, and after trying a fresh hot bread roll I realise I do not like them anymore. I've also not had a soda (diet or otherwise) for a long time and don't miss them.
                    How's your whole 30 been going?

Comment

Ladies, thanks for the responses to my prenatal question.

dmc, that Thorne prenatal is the same one my ND gave me. It made me so constipated I couldn't stand it! So, I think I may just take various supplements that my body may seem to need. I am curious about folate and folic acid.

Rose, have fun exercising!

Comment

Great thread!
                        We have "unexplained infertility" (aced all the tests!) and have been trying for a year and a half now. 3 failed IUI's, except the last one was a total fiasco so it doesn't really count. We'd have to go out of state for an IVF. I tried acupuncture for about a year and take a shit-ton of supplements (which probably isn't the best thing).

I keep hearing stories about couples with unexplained infertility conceiving after a few months of being primal. One person left a comment on my log that she conceived naturally at 43! I'm 42 and he's 47, so we're old, but healthy and active.

One thing I noticed is that after coming back from vacation (1 week in the Southwest, few days at the NJ beach) I got a lot of SUN and I can tell my hormones are better than usual (TMI to explain). Also my cycle was a few days longer than normal this month (it's usually on the short side). So get your natural Vitamin D, ladies!

Good luck to everybody!
                        Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                        Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                        "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Rose, I hope the weather is getting better there! It is spring, right? I have had a glass of wine in the last two weeks and a few squares of dark chocolate, so to be honest, I'm really now doing more of a "trying to do the best that I can every day plan" vs. a Whole 30. But I feel good about it and the choices that I'm making.

Ottercat, I'm in the same boat. My SO and I are 41 and 42, everything looks good "on the books." One thing my IVF doctor told me is that sometimes as women age the shell around the egg can become hard, thereby making it more difficult for the sperm to penetrate. When we had IVF they did ICSI (just part of the protocol) and I did end up with all my eggs fertilizing. Not sure if that's it, but I thought it interesting.

Have you had your Vitamin D tested? Dragonfly posted a great link with all kinds of information about Vitamin D. Mine was low, which I wouldn't have known except that, again as part of my doctor's protocol, he has everyone's tested. That suggests to me that low Vitamin D is a common problem.

Comment

Don't forget zinc, ladies. I have a sneaking suspicion that the RDA may be too low for this mineral.

I am imagining that 30-50 mg/day may be more evolutionarily, based on my recent research. Men need it, too! Just bought some smoked oysters to up my level, since I've been experiencing some deficiency symptoms. Zinc picolinate seems to be the best supplemental form.
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Have you had your Vitamin D tested? Dragonfly posted a great link with all kinds of information about Vitamin D. Mine was low, which I wouldn't have known except that, again as part of my doctor's protocol, he has everyone's tested. That suggests to me that low Vitamin D is a common problem.
                              I have, it's always low. I live north-north-north and am a mysterious albino otter who burns like a redhead. As an Asian, everybody (Asians, anyway) coo and comment and admire you when your skin is as melanin-deficient as mine. It makes me uncomfortable and I think it's odd, but then I slather on the sunscreen and tell myself that this is why I don't have crow's feet at my age. Also, I've started getting age spots on my cheekbones if I get "too much sun".

However - I really noticed health benefits from getting a nice tan at the beach and that natural is better than supplements. I'm already taking about 5-6k IU per day and I think I should be good for a few months from the natural stuff. We go down to Texas at Christmas to see the in-laws so I'm going to make an effort to get some sun for a mid-winter boost.

Don't forget zinc, ladies. I have a sneaking suspicion that the RDA may be too low for this mineral.
                              Calf liver is supposed to have a lot, too. I'm trying to eat offal 2x per week (FAILing this week, lol!), but I saw a recipe for bacon-wrapped liver so I'm going to try that.

Last night I had a vivid dream that I used a First Response test and came up positive! Then all sorts of silly things started to happen and I realized I was dreaming. Drat.
                              Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                              Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                              "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Just got back from a trip to the mountains. Nice to relax before all the extra doctor visits kick in.

Ottercat, I hope that your dream comes true! My secretary had a dream that I had twin boys, small but healthy. Let's hope both dreams were prophetic!

How is everyone else doing?

Comment

Working...
                                X