A thread for those TTC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope everyone is doing well

I wish I could add in more sweets lol. Even if it's just fruit. I seem to be SO sensitive to carbs/sugar though. At least right now I am. Hopefully as I continue to lose weight and get healthier that will change so I can enjoy more things.

Go in tomorrow for my first estrogen check. Hope my number is high. I haven't felt much of anything going on in the ladybits department. They should be getting stimulated by the follistim, but with my body, pfft, who knows.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

Good luck LisaLS,
      I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

Comment

What a great thread.

My story: I'm only 25 but was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 19 and had surgery to remove it (successfully). I've always had the feeling that it was going to be hard for me to get pregnant, so I didn't want to waste any time. I've had every test going (FSH, weekly transvaginal ultrasounds, laparoscopy, salpingogram, dummy transfers) and according to the doctors everything is fine. I am 'anatomically perfect'. But still no pregnancies. It has been nearly 3 years of TTC.

So for now, I am taking daily combined high vitamin butter oil and fermented cod liver oil capsules, probiotics, B-complex, magnesium, and tyrosine and phenylalanine to help restore my adrenal function and endorphins. I am trying to include as many nutrient-rich foods in my diet as possible, ie; bone broth, raw liver, eggs, meat, butter, select herbal teas. I am attempting to eliminate all sugar (very very hard one for me) and remember not to ingest caffeine. I was a social smoker on and off, but gave that up for good 6 weeks ago.

My periods have always been regular (between 26 and 29 days, the last 3 have been 28 day cycles), and with eating paleo the PMS has significantly diminished. I used to have crippling cramps, mood swings, and severe bloating, but all that is gone. I also had an Arvigo massage and took their female tonic for a month and I do believe that's helped cleanse my uterus.

I'm in no rush at this point, and truthfully I'd like another year to get my body into prime shape for pregnancy. I just hope I can actually conceive!

Comment

Heather, it sounds like you have been on quite a journey. I do hope your pregnancy dreams come true. I,too, seem to be okay hormone/body-wise, despite my age, but still no conceiving. I'm not sure if you have a male partner, but if so, has he been tested as well? My doctor told me that infertility due to male causes is as common as that due to female causes.

I'd be interested in hearing about the herbal teas you're drinking as I love to drink something hot all day. I love decaf coffee and black tea, but have given that up. Right now I'm limiting myself to a cup of organic jasmine green tea per day and organic mint tea for the rest of the day. Are the teas you're drinking safe once you are pregnant or only before pregnancy

Comment

Originally posted by dmc View Post
            Heather, it sounds like you have been on quite a journey. I do hope your pregnancy dreams come true. I,too, seem to be okay hormone/body-wise, despite my age, but still no conceiving. I'm not sure if you have a male partner, but if so, has he been tested as well? My doctor told me that infertility due to male causes is as common as that due to female causes.

I'd be interested in hearing about the herbal teas you're drinking as I love to drink something hot all day. I love decaf coffee and black tea, but have given that up. Right now I'm limiting myself to a cup of organic jasmine green tea per day and organic mint tea for the rest of the day. Are the teas you're drinking safe once you are pregnant or only before pregnancy
            Thank you. It's frustrating isn't it, not to be able to pinpoint a specific reason? At least then there would be a specific 'fix' for it. I've had 2 different partners through this; the first had terrible sperm quality but my current partner should be absolutely fine.

The herbal teas I have on hand are green tea, and jasmine for immunity and anti-aging, fennel for digestion, peppermint for digestion, nettle for urinary health, dandelion for liver & kidney function, rooibos for general wellbeing, licorice root for healthy immune system and sugar cravings, chamomile for calm, and raspberry leaf for women's health. I also have a box of senna tea but I only take that when I've gone days without a BM (not pleasant but its a natural laxative- definitely not to be used if you dont have the time to run to the loo all day!)

All of those are safe for pregnancy, with the exception of the raspberry leaf which should not be used in early pregnancy but which is said to induce labour in late (full-term) pregnancy. It's worth noting that several of those teas also have a decent amount of vitamins and minerals. I enjoy the taste of all of them so just drink whatever I'm in the mood for. I usually average 4-5 cups of tea per day.
            I also like to use 2 green tea bags and 1 jasmine (or raspberry) tea bag and about 2 litres of water, steeped in a large pot for 20 minutes, then cooled and transferred to a pitcher to keep in the fridge. It's a refreshing cold drink thats taken the place of my former unhealthy cold beverages (like juice aka squash).
            Last edited by HeatherJ; 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Heather, I am also 25. Do you chart your fertility or know how long your luteal phase is? I completely hear you on wanting to be in tiptop shape before pregnancy! If I had done that before my son, maybe he wouldn't have digestive issues and bad teeth

Lisa, I feel silly for not realizing the suppositories were vaginal, lol. I'm with you on not tolerating sweets, I can't even do sweet veggies like carrots right now!

Comment

I don't currently chart my cycles. I keep track of how long my cycles are, but that's it. I've thought about using BBT to chart, or ovulation prediction strips, but I'm not sure if it's for me. I should figure out how long my LP is though...

even if your son has digestive issues and other problems, its nothing you cant fix by raising him with a primal diet! We cant feel bad for things we did before we knew the truth

Comment

I'm impressed with you ladies, you know so much about your bodies. I've had three kids (currently trying for 4th) and don't know half as much as you. I hope the primal diet helps with your fertility. So far I've not had that problem, but at 39 I need to keep in good health for myself and possibly another bub.
                  I'm doing pretty well with my eating. Still a lot of room for improvement, but no longer going off on binges.

Comment

It's great to hear everyone's stories. I am a big fan of the guidelines in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility for figuring out ovulation and luteal phase. I've been following the signs she outlines in the book (basal temp, etc.) and it's really helpful. I'm a little concerned that I might have a short luteal phase based on when my temperature spikes, but I guess I won't find out until we try. My ND suggested a hormone panel at day 21 of my cycle to see how things are going. Has anyone done this?

Also, I heard on a paleo podcast today (Diane at Balanced Bites) that she recommends adding in more carbs to help with conception. Does anyone have any experience with carbs being helpful in this sense?

It's kind of odd just hanging out and waiting for a few months to TTC, but it's necessary in order for me to finish grad school in June. I just wish I knew now if it's going to be a quick process or if it's going to take a while. @Heather, I also want to be in shape for pregnancy and am using this time now to get in as good of shape as I can. It's a great motivator for sticking to my crossfit schedule!

Comment

Are you just charting your temps and monitoring cervical mucus? Gah I really should start, I just wonder how reliable it would be with me doing shift work, including working thru the night 2 weeks of the month. Has anyone heard of Lunaception? Using the moon's phases to help identify fertile times.. it's talked about here: Fertility Awareness, Food, and Night-Lighting - Weston A Price Foundation

I have heard of adding more carbs for conception.. anecdotally, many women with low BF % have had to eat more carbs in order to get pregnant. I would think its the bodies way of ensuring there will be adequate fat stores and immediate energy available to build the little person growing inside, as it takes a crazy amount of energy!

And on the plus side, waiting a few months just gives you loads of time to 'practice' hehe

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherJ View Post
                        And on the plus side, waiting a few months just gives you loads of time to 'practice' hehe
                        Hah. Yes, great point.

Yeah, I've been charting temps and mucus for years now. It has become automatic for me to take my temp first thing in the morning. I am finding my mucus indicates that I am ovulating at a good time (around day 15-16) but my temp doesn't shift for several days after that. Hence, my confusion about luteal phase length.

I have heard about the night light issue and am having a hard time incorporating it. I need to keep my bedroom door open a crack for my cat to get in and out at night and it lets light in from the street. Not quite sure about how to work around that one but I'm really curious about this technique and anyone that has used it.

Comment

Heather, thank you so much for the detailed information on the teas: very helpful!

Taking charge of your fertility is a great book! I think it is useful to start charting despite those challenges as it really helps to get to known your body. Historically, i have not paid a lot of attention to my body; this whole process has really made me be more aware, which has been a blessing.

Shawnamarie, I,too, have been trying to stay on the path with exercising so that I can keep doing it during the pregnancy. Next month (!) we're having our transfer. Fingers crossed!!!!

I haven't heard about the carbs...I don't really have a lot of weight to loose, but I don't think my body fat is too low. I keep reminding myself that I WAS pregnant, so there is a good chance it will happen again.

Btw, do any of you know of good meditation apps/tapes that have affirmations for pregnancy. I'd like to start something like that...

Comment

Dmc, regarding the apps/tapes for pregnancy; My partner is a hypnotherapist and purchased me the hypnobabies course. He knew there was no point trying to help me himself as he has no experience with birth or labour and I had had two girls when I was younger so knew 'something' about it. I personally found the hypnobabies course a little too 'fruitcakey' for my liking.
                            I found the book Childbirth without Fear by Grantly Dick-Read very helpful. I then meditated myself and practiced relaxation techniques which helped so much in labour that my midwives were astounded. I find modified yoga followed by meditation and excellent preparation. I use a yoga app on my iphone and shut myself in a quiet room.

Comment

Thank you, Rose. I actually was thinking I'd like to find an affirming meditation/relaxation tape for during the two week wait between the transfer and the pregnancy test. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Rose

The ignorance I have regarding that area of my life would astound you. All I know is that I have had regular periods...that is about it. At this point we are just going to try, I think if I started on all the measuring, I think I (and he) would be a nervous wreck. Maybe in 6 months, I will have a look at that.

DMC

I have always been a fan of positive thinking, so for example for me, I should be chanting twins, twins, twins. I'll let you know how that works.

On the twins note there was a small Australian study to link twins with folate (800 mcg daily) but it could also be that older women tend to have twins. Older women, better educated, delay pregnancy, then use folate when TTC, have twins. What was it, the older age or the folate?

I think even if you are not going for this for a few months, I think to have information and support in one place is a good thing.
                                Life. Be in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X