Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coconut Oil Isn't Just GOOD For You...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coconut Oil Isn't Just GOOD For You...

    ...but a glass jar of it makes a very handy room thermometer!

    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

  • #2
    Haha, I was so jealous when I went into my brothers home the other day and their's was solid!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Haha. Mine hasn't been solid for months. Until I put it in the fridge. It's in flimsy plastic containers that I bought it in and too sloshy for me to trust myself to not spill it, so I just stuck it in the fridge. Also easier to shave off small amounts. When it's liquid, I have a tendency to just get several spoonfuls at a time versus a few shavings when it's solid. Winter can't come fast enough as far as I'm concerned.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, no AC at my place (Southern Calif)--and we had a big hot spell last week. Jar was about 98% beautiful clear liquid. I, too, prefer scraping off shavings. Don't know why it never occurred to me to just keep it in the fridge!
        Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
          Haha. Mine hasn't been solid for months. Until I put it in the fridge. It's in flimsy plastic containers that I bought it in and too sloshy for me to trust myself to not spill it, so I just stuck it in the fridge. Also easier to shave off small amounts. When it's liquid, I have a tendency to just get several spoonfuls at a time versus a few shavings when it's solid. Winter can't come fast enough as far as I'm concerned.
          Ours comes in the crazy thin sloshy container too. We transfer to the large mason jars and it works great.
          For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            haha, I was just thinking this when I unscrewed mine this morning and just poured it into the skillet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Mine started to solidify the other day and I said looks like summer is over.
              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by supersellen View Post
                Ours comes in the crazy thin sloshy container too. We transfer to the large mason jars and it works great.
                Thanks for the pro-tip. You must get yours from the Dekalb Farmer's market also. I love that place. Wish I lived closer to Atlanta so I could go more often.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I only had a small puddle ontop, I keep my house at 72 though due to my very expensive dart frog collection. Can't have those guys roasting on me...that and I can not sleep if I am hot.
                  "The only thing they can get me for is running a cemetary without a license"-Gacy

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wilberfan View Post
                    ...but a glass jar of it makes a very handy room thermometer!

                    That's an excellent point! I'll have to keep an eye on mine, we've starting to warm up down under

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Come to Scotland - my jar of coconut oil is practically frozen never mind solid!.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                        Thanks for the pro-tip. You must get yours from the Dekalb Farmer's market also. I love that place. Wish I lived closer to Atlanta so I could go more often.
                        I do! I couldn't believe the price of their coconut oil when I started buying it. It was like Christmas.
                        For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by supersellen View Post
                          I do! I couldn't believe the price of their coconut oil when I started buying it. It was like Christmas.
                          Totally. It's like Christmas everytime I go in there. So much awesome stuff. Have you tried the purple sweet potatoes!? They are insanely awesome, especially with a touch of coconut oil melted on them. /threadjack

                          I think cillakat found out that the oil they carry is Nutiva. Whatever it is, it's super-delicious. Puts refined coconut oil to shame.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I bought a new jar of coconut oil a few days ago at the store. It was half liquid by the time I got it home.
                            "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
                            - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pollydinasaur View Post
                              Come to Scotland - my jar of coconut oil is practically frozen never mind solid!.
                              I watched a video on here a couple of days ago and wondered what kind of coconut oil he was using as it was already liquid in the jar! LOL

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X