What Was YOUR Turning Point??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was YOUR Turning Point??

I've spent a lot more time reading through the forums than I have interacting with them, and in fact, have tried going primal on two separate occasions... only to go back to my "old" new ways after a few weeks. Maybe those times didn't work out because I have issues with willpower or laziness. It's hard to say really. I've never been a very active person, but then again, until the last five years I've never really been overweight either. I grew up tall and fast, on lots of bread and sugar even, and my height/metabolism has always taken care of things.

I am, without doubt or reservation, in horrible shape. We're talking winded after two flights of stairs, man-boobed out of shape. Here are my stats:

Height: 6'7"
    Weight: 290 lbs

Knowledge isn't the problem. I've been reading Mark and other primal/paleo blogs for several years now. I own his books, understand the concepts, and have memorized the progressions. Ultimately, I believe that lack of sustainable motivation/willpower has been my better body killer.

However, a string of recent events has lead me to what I think are fertile motivational grounds. All of the following happened in the last three weeks:

~ Three people commented (negatively) on my weight.
    ~ I've had two panic attacks and one asthma attack (seriously? my life is so damn boring -- what do I have to panic about?)
    ~ My stepson beat me (handily) in a game of one-on-one basketball. Note that he is 12, and if you recall from up above, I am 6'7" tall.

Ths is my turning point. If I don't start working towards a healthier version of myself now, then it's going to be a diabetes or bypass surgery or something worse that forces me to do it, and by then I will have lost so much.

So for me, my turning point has arrived at the culmination of a lifetime of bad habits, several false starts, and a few eye-opening weeks. I am always interested in hearing people's stories, and would love to know, what was YOUR turning point?

>> Jay
    It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

It's different for me because I had a gastric bypass to start..... but I was just getting divorced and wanted to feel good about myself again and uh..... have some other man want to sleep with me at some point. lol

I became primal in pursuit to continue on that journey when my loss stalled. I'd come too far to be an 'average' american woman with a BMI of 26 point something. I want to be pretty and feel good about myself dammit!! And I am..... and it's good...... and I want to keep going!

Comment

I don't think I really had a turning point, I was actually sort of lucky enough to just be on facebook one day when one of my gym-mates from Muay thai commented on another gym-mate's status update regarding the Zone diet. He brought up paleo and how great he felt so I sent him a message for more info and he led me to Mark's site.

I was definitely over-weight despite my training, but not by a lot. After more than a year I've lost and kept off 30lbs, with only 15lbs or so to go if I wanted to have that cut-up look. I'm not too strongly pursuing that goal.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

How long have you guys been primal?
        It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

Comment

The pain of continuing eating and living how I was became greater than the perceived pain of making a change.

In my case I was ashamed of how out of shape I was - non of my clothes fit, it was affecting my ability to enjoy life as I was exhausted all the time and even normal exercise made me out of breath and in pain, and mentally I was screwed because I knew I couldn't blame anyone else for the state I'd let myself get into but I couldn't seem to get out of the rut and was getting further and further from where I wanted to be.

All of that adds up to a fat, unfit, depressed and unhealthy person which is so far from how I believe I should be that I literally had no choice but to get up off my **** and make the change.

As soon as I did I felt mentally better and the effect has snowballed into every area of my life now - now its not if I can achieve everything I want - its only a matter of how and how long
          1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
          Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Comment

For me, it was the realization that the way I was going, I wouldn't see my youngest turn 30 if I didn't get my shit together. I was also popping tums like they were candy.

I started conventional dieting in January, switched to PB in March, and am down almost 40 lbs over the whole period. I could still stand to lose anywhere between 10-20 lbs depending on how my body feels.
            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
            CW: 146.8 lbs
            GW 140 lbs
            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I've been primal for about 10 weeks now (down 20 lbs.) but I definitely remember my turning point.

I battle depression and off-and-on-again have been trying to do something about my diet and exercise. This time around I was stagnant, thinking there was no point in starting a program that I would only end up quitting.

I remember hearing about primal/paleo diets and I saw John Durant on The Colbert Report. At the time I didn't believe the gov't would steer us so wrong. Anyway, I started researching the primal/paleo diet online and came across MDA. What a life-saver. Mrs. Griffin and the Grifflets were out of town that weekend and by the time they were home I was set, though extremely anxious, about adopting the PB lifestyle. The first couple weeks, while waiting for the book, we stumbled our way through but we've hit our stride now and I don't think we'll ever go back. It all seems so easy now.
              There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

I remember looking up prostate cancer and somehow I ended up with whole30 then ended up here.
                Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

For me, I was rollerblading with a friend. I was 27 and found I couldn't keep up. I was within 10 pounds of 200 and decided I was way too young to be that heavy. (That started my conventional weightloss. After a year, I had achieved my weight, then slowly gained over 4 years to almost my starting point. In the mean time I experimented with vegitarianism, veganism, eating whole foods, removing gluten, and eventually found the PB.)
                  I've been Primal for about 1.5 years, now and love it.

Comment

Not sure if I had a specific point or breakdown, I remember reading an article last year about the “The MS Recovery Diet” about a woman who was battling MS and then found this diet, then Crossfit, then Paleo. It is an inspiring story about how CW doesn't stack up, even though Dr.'s push that agenda: Here Now - Paleo diet, intense workouts halt progress of MS | StarNewsOnline.com

I thought the paleo diet sounded tough, I have been on a low fat high carb "diet" for years with Weight Watchers. But I was always tired and sluggish, and my joints ached, muscles were always sore. One day I was driving and saw this 80 year old woman on her daily run, I saw her a couple more times, and thought to myself "how does grandma have the energy to run and here I am at 36 & "healthy" and my bones crack just getting out of bed!?" Something just wasn't right. I can't remember where but I stumbled across Primal, and it just clicked.

Going on a month now, I have ditched the scale for now. But I can tell you I have a ton more energy!
                    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Comment

I came across MDA about two years ago or something, and I remember thinking to myself, "these people are CRAZY!!! how can they live without bread, pasta, sugar, etc. etc. etc." i was a vegetarian at the time (which, now, is even more crazy IMO).

last year, one of the guys in the graduate program at my school went primal and was raving to me about the lifestyle and he highly recommended it. i revisited MDA but didn't give it a try; i was still too scared to cut out my precious, precious bread from my diet.

flash forward to this year: i started cross fit, and once i started talking to people there about this lifestyle, i decided to give it a try. pre-primal, my workouts were a drag and i just didn't have any energy or strength. now i fly through workouts and feel so much stronger!

Comment

The reaction to my dropping wheat was so fast, like my belly noticeably shrunk in just 2 days, that I have not looked back since. Good luck. Keep trying 'til it sticks.
                        Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

My whole life I had been on the light side. i weighed 120lbs all through highschool. I stayed really light until a few years ago when i started my new job. I was 145 when I started. Easy work, no manual hard labor and payed really well. I quit smoking shortly after starting there. i replaced cigarettes with food, I was not eating healthy. We would go out to eat all the time, ribeyes and bbq every other night.....before I even realized what happened I was up to almost 200lbs in less than 6 months. over the next two years a few more pounds packed on.

I would get winded climbing the stairs, my knees hurt like hell all the time. Finally one day I was sitting on the stairs like every morning, I went to put my work boots on. I had to suck in and hold my breath to be able to bend down enought to tie my laces. Thats it! Enough is enough!

I had been wanting to do p90x for years but could never afford it. A friend of mine was nice enough to let me have her disks, I was focused and determined. I followed the meal plans and became obsessed with eating healthier and working out. in 90 days I got down from 226 lbs to 182lbs. I know its not a ton but it was very motivating (sorry I know this isn't a p90x forum just sharing what lead me to this point)

I kind of took the winter off, i was still eating somewhat healthy but not really working out any more. This spring I got back at it. I was back up to 190lbs. I started doing p90x again but half way through started over with a P90x insanity hybrid. I was in my phase 3 at 172 lbs when i injured my back pushing myself too hard.

currently I am not able to work out due to muscle inflamation pinching a nerve and what I keep trying to tell my doctor is a messed up disk (need to find a new doc )

Any how, About a two months ago my wife had discovered the paleo life style and was trying to sell me on it. I really didn't pay that much attention to it since I was so focused on my current diet and exercise regemine. I didn't eat much breads to begin with altho I would have the occasional carb smart tortilla. After my injury I wasn't able to work out any more...hell I couldn't (cant) even mow the lawn without my arm and neck tingling and going numb.

I started getting bored and decided to do some research on this paleo thing my wife was talking about. So far the basis makes perfect sense. I still have a lot of reading to do but thanks to google its pretty easy to figure out what foods are acceptable. I started practicing a week ago but had a final cheat over the weekend. I started officially Monday, sadly I have been meeting a lot of resistance from my wife who was the one that was trying to sell me on the idea in the first place. She was singing a different tune last night after my spagetti squash with a bolognese suace though. She said it was one of the best meals i have ever produced...unlike tonights chicken stir fry without tamarin...it was a flop.

anyhow, this is my first post here so please also concider this my official introduction

ohh heres a fatty before and after pic...still not ripped but on the way there

60 days later

and around 178 lbs

No more holding my breath thats for sure! currently 171 but lost a lot of muscle tone since I have not been able to move any weights.
                          "The only thing they can get me for is running a cemetary without a license"-Gacy

sigpic

Comment

My turning point was when my husband dropped dead in front of me of a cardiac arrest at the age of 42. He was about 70 lbs. overweight and was always going to get in shape "tomorrow." I had dabbled on and off with the PB prior to that but now I'm serious and on it for life. I don't want my 9-year-old son to be an orphan.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrina View Post
                              My turning point was when my husband dropped dead in front of me of a cardiac arrest at the age of 42. He was about 70 lbs. overweight and was always going to get in shape "tomorrow." I had dabbled on and off with the PB prior to that but now I'm serious and on it for life. I don't want my 9-year-old son to be an orphan.
                              Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope at least that living better for yourself and your son is helping you cope.

For me, it was when I hit 210lbs at age 22, with no real strength or muscle mass to show for it. I tried regular dieting for a while, which didn't work at all. Then I found PB/paleo and shed 30lbs in about 6 months with minimal effort. I'm still working on the last 10 around my middle though. I've just recently dropped dairy, which was my last holdout of non-strict paleo, and I'm trying to get back into ketosis, which my body seems reluctant to do at the moment. Really working on getting my sleep dialed in as well, which seems to be helping my mood/energy a lot. Hopefully the cortisol-induced belly fat will follow soon.
                              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X