watch this video...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watch this video...

This is really amazing. Not sure when this was filmed but some Africans coming to America and well, let's just they find our way of life strange and ridiculous. In 5 minutes, this does so much, I actually find it quite deep.

Video: Throwback Documentary Clip: Africans With Alot Of Smarts Move To USA & They Don't Know Whats Going On Here!
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

"Africans with alot of smarts..."?????????

i lol'd
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

I watched this whole documentary a while ago on Netflix, but now I can't find it again, even in my history. It was excellent, following the 4 boys who are chosen to come to America from a refugee camp in Africa. Wish I could find the name, it was a really moving story.

Comment

When the woman at the pool asks them "... you have more freedom here right..?" I had to pause it, I couldn't believe she'd ask that.

Do Americans really think the rest of the world is under slavery and devoid of "freedom" ?? honestly? Sure, there are areas in which you can't criticize authority, etc but this hard-on for freedom is one of the worst things about this society, it's beyond annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by marthat View Post
          I watched this whole documentary a while ago on Netflix, but now I can't find it again, even in my history. It was excellent, following the 4 boys who are chosen to come to America from a refugee camp in Africa. Wish I could find the name, it was a really moving story.
          me too, and it's bugging me that i can't remember/find the title. it's a really powerful movie. this clip is only showing a snippet of their story.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
            me too, and it's bugging me that i can't remember/find the title. it's a really powerful movie. this clip is only showing a snippet of their story.
            God Grew Tired of Us

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
              God Grew Tired of Us
              That's actually what my friend linked to from Facebook but for some reason that didn't load, so what I posted is only a part of that? awesome, must run it down.

Comment

I feel bad for them. I can't imagine how isolating that must feel.
                "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
                - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Originally posted by Goldsmith View Post
                  I feel bad for them. I can't imagine how isolating that must feel.
                  it's real hard for them at first, but they assimilate fairly well, all in different directions, and the movie sort of chronicles their life over a good chunk of time. it's worth a watch.

Comment

Crazy that they had to stop walking in groups.... wouldn't happen to white dudes!

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      When the woman at the pool asks them "... you have more freedom here right..?" I had to pause it, I couldn't believe she'd ask that.

Do Americans really think the rest of the world is under slavery and devoid of "freedom" ?? honestly? Sure, there are areas in which you can't criticize authority, etc but this hard-on for freedom is one of the worst things about this society, it's beyond annoying.
                      Exactly what I thought. We are far from free compared to other nations, even those right next door to us.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        I haven't seen the video yet so I might be missing some context, but why can't you believe she'd ask that?

Do Americans really think the rest of the world is under slavery and devoid of "freedom" ?? honestly?
                        It's going to depend on which Americans you ask, and what definition of 'freedom' you're using, among other things. Different people have very different ideas of what freedom means, to the extent that one person's idea of freedom might be the opposite of another's. To make things worse, I'd guess that most people -- no matter where they live -- know so little about matters outside their own experience that their answers to such a question would be based on ignorance, prejudice, and whatever distorted view of the world is spoon fed to them by acquaintances, politicians, and journalists.

Sure, there are areas in which you can't criticize authority, etc but this hard-on for freedom is one of the worst things about this society, it's beyond annoying.
                        I think almost everyone (except perhaps some in a position of authority) would agree that not being able to criticize authority without retribution is an obvious lack of freedom.

Now, I am puzzled by your claim that a strong proclivity (*ahem*) for freedom is such a distasteful attitude that you would put it on par with rape, murder, imprisonment of an obscene % of the population, soda consumption, PETA, and Jersey Shore. Beyond annoying? Please elucidate.

Comment

That one guy makes a great point about how unfriendly we are. I feel compelled not to make eye contact with people I pass on the street, and I hate it. I know I'm not the only one. And I wish we could just drop in on our neighbours for a little visit now and then without making appointments.
                          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by marthat View Post
                            My husband and i watched that movie, and i couldn't remember the name either. I just remember feeling so sad about it. I can't remember much specifics except for their mentor showing them the horrible processed foods. I don't think i would ever want to watch it again b/c when i think of that movie, i just remember "sad", even tho i do believe some of the boys actually made something out of their new lives. What a hard life.

Comment

you guys ever see Coming to America? that was a great movie about africans new to the US
                              Primal Chaos
                              37yo 6'5"
                              6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                              current 338lbs 49" waist
                              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Working...
                              X