Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*TMI Warning* Erm, why does my pee smell like meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *TMI Warning* Erm, why does my pee smell like meat?

I'm really embarassed to ask this question but googling gave me all sorts of answers, so figured I'd ask here. When I pee, it smells like meat. I wonder why.

P.S.: Let me preemptively say that I can smell it as I pee.

Could this have something to do with an excess of iron?

Comment

I would suspect you're in ketosis? My urine always smells funky (above and beyound normal urine smells) when I'm in ketosis.

Comment

maba,

Just a thought...have you recently changed any of your supplements? I know when I take a multi that has a lot of B vitamins in it, I can smell that.

Comment

CC69: Is that good or bad?

Musajen: I doubt I'm in ketosis. My carb intake is not that low usually.

Kuno: I've been taking folic acid (B9) for the last month or so. I'm not sure when I first noticed the smell, but quite likely in the last one month. I was too embarassed to post this question earlier.

I'm concerned because some of the answers on google said it could be a case of UTI.

Comment

My pee smells funky when I'm in ketosis, which is basically all the time. It smells like something is burning. Must be fat. lol

Comment

maba,

I'm fairly confident that if it was a UTI, you'd have some other indications, since you seem to be pretty dialed in to what your body is saying ;-)

Comment

Excess iron could be hard on your liver, but you really won't be able to tell if you have it in excess simply by the smell of your urine.

Comment

if you had a UTI you would have quite a painful time trying to pee. by any chance have you eaten any asparagus?

Comment

I forgot to take my supplements last night. My pee doesn't smell like meat today. Wonder if it's the folic acid after all.

Shastagirl, no I haven't eaten asparagus. Will try skipping the folic acid now and then and see what happens.

Comment

folic acid? hmmm... is someone pregnant

Comment

Not yet...

Comment

It happened again...my pee smelled like meat this morning. And I didn't even take my folic acid last night. Could it be a case of ketosis after all? I did eat veggies and small amount of fruit yesterday, the carb count would have been under 60g.

Speaking of which, what is the maximum number of carbs one can take to go into ketosis?

Comment

lol @maba this post makes me laugh...if it makes you feel better, my pee smelled like lobster the next morning after i had a nice big tail the night before. it smelled like the ocean, but other than that i don't notice meat making my pee smell

Comment

I keep thinking your pregnant.

Comment

Working...
                              X