Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to share PB with others without seeming obnoxious?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to share PB with others without seeming obnoxious?

Hi all,
    PB has had a really positive impact on my life. I would love to share the book, site, and ideas with others; in my workplace, especially, folks are always discussing their weight loss and exercise efforts. My boss in particular is really concerned about his weight; I overheard him saying he's planning on starting Overeaters Anonymous and doing serious carb restriction (his office is right next to mine and the walls are thin). I think PB could help him, but it's tricky to make such a personal suggestion to one's boss. Any ideas?
    thanks,
    Laura

Lead by example. If it works for you people will ask what you did.

Comment

I dunno if I were you I would probably just sent him a short email. "Hey overheard you talking about blabla and I've been experimenting with a lifestyle plan that is somewhat similar and works well with low carb. I've personally seen blabla results, here's a link and hope it helps. Cheers Laura".

Either he will look at it and it will pique his interest or it won't (or he won't look at it at all). But really whatever you do it won't be obnoxious unless you ask him about it several times imo.

Comment

Maybe mention in casual conversation how good you have been feeling. If that elicits a question as to why, give a brief answer like, "It's called the Primal Blueprint, and it's helped me lose weight without feeling hungry or deprived and it has increased my energy level." I imagine there would be a followup question. If not, drop it. It will have the boss wondering and I bet you'll be asked about it later.
        Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
          Maybe mention in casual conversation how good you have been feeling. If that elicits a question as to why, give a brief answer like, "It's called the Primal Blueprint, and it's helped me lose weight without feeling hungry or deprived and it has increased my energy level." I imagine there would be a followup question. If not, drop it. It will have the boss wondering and I bet you'll be asked about it later.
          This^

Just talking about your own success without talking about how you achieved your results will often elicit the question of how. You might the try the old, "Did you want me to bring in the book? The book explains it so much better than I can."

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
            Agree. And if he is very overweight I would even direct him to Dr Kruse's site.

Comment

My standard advice

My housemate and I heard Mark speak over a year ago. I decided to (mostly) follow the blueprint. Bought and read the book. Let her read it. A few days later she gave it back. "I don't want to be a cavewoman."

I have mentioned Primal a lot but never in a proselytizing way. I cook dinner. Since I eat potatoes and some corn tortillas, corn, white rice and beans, it isn't a problem.

A while back she told me that sugar was poison. She learned that from Dr. Lustig. I nodded.

Yesterday she announced that she had read a book about low carb dieting. She intended to eat protein for breakfast, a big salad for lunch, and protein, veg and carbs for dinner. I nodded with a straight face. There was no indication that she realized her plan was close to Primal.

No, I am not going to lend her the book again, nor mention that she is sort of doing Primal, nor recommend any other books, nor suggest she check out my blog. I am going to keep my mouth shut about it.
              Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I'd say just wait for them to come to you. I spent a year quietly following PB, now suddenly half of my coworkers and my girlfriend are all glowing with interest, and they actually listen.

Of course, if your boss is already looking into carb restriction, I don't see why he wouldn't be receptive to the idea of a strictly whole foods low-carb diet.
                “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Telling people about Primal is a lot like being sexy. If you throw it all out there and push it on people, they don't value it. Give them just a peek and they want to know more.
                  Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                    Telling people about Primal is a lot like being sexy. If you throw it all out there and push it on people, they don't value it. Give them just a peek and they want to know more.
                    Great analogy! LOL
                    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      +1. however, once they hear you did by GIVING UP GRAINS and SUGAR, ie. NO PASTA, NO BREAD, NO BISCUITS, NO COOKIES, NO CAKE, they'll probably say, "oh that's too hard".

in fact, just today on a group ride, a friend of mine who i have not seen in awhile said "you're so skinny!". Actually i felt kinda pudgy today, but that was nice to hear. And she knows exactly what i've been doing b/c i've told her about it, even tho i know it will make her faster than me! That's how much i think this way of eating is awesome - i'm willing to give away my edge to spread the word! And i'm pretty sure she'll never get on board.

it's frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine View Post
                        +1. however, once they hear you did by GIVING UP GRAINS and SUGAR, ie. NO PASTA, NO BREAD, NO BISCUITS, NO COOKIES, NO CAKE, they'll probably say, "oh that's too hard".

in fact, just today on a group ride, a friend of mine who i have not seen in awhile said "you're so skinny!". Actually i felt kinda pudgy today, but that was nice to hear. And she knows exactly what i've been doing b/c i've told her about it, even tho i know it will make her faster than me! That's how much i think this way of eating is awesome - i'm willing to give away my edge to spread the word! And i'm pretty sure she'll never get on board.

it's frustrating!
                        Frustrating is an understatement. I've had several people ask about what I'm "taking" because I seem so much happier and energetic. I've lost weight but not an astounding amount. I'd like to be a size 8 in clothes (I'm a 12 was a 16) and it's super slow going. I tell them I'm not taking anything except a few vitamins and supplements and I've stopped eating grains, legumes and sugar. The standard response is that it would be too hard for them to give up pasta, bread, taco bell, etc. I tend to shrug and tell them that feeling like crap every waking hour was too hard for me and I had to choose which hard I wanted to live with.
                        kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Originally posted by kiss View Post
                          Frustrating is an understatement. I've had several people ask about what I'm "taking" because I seem so much happier and energetic. I've lost weight but not an astounding amount. I'd like to be a size 8 in clothes (I'm a 12 was a 16) and it's super slow going. I tell them I'm not taking anything except a few vitamins and supplements and I've stopped eating grains, legumes and sugar. The standard response is that it would be too hard for them to give up pasta, bread, taco bell, etc. I tend to shrug and tell them that feeling like crap every waking hour was too hard for me and I had to choose which hard I wanted to live with.
                          I had the same response with a co-worker. She was complaining about walking 6+ hours that week, and being on the eliptical for another hour, but could not understand why she wasn't losing weight. When I tried to explained to her, she started to debate about Whole Wheat being the good kind of bread, and low fat / low sugar is ok. I just smile and nodded. I tried, and I wasn't going to get into a debate with someone who doesn't want to listen..

And really that's all the OP can do. Be polite, say what has been working for you. If he dismisses the idea.. so be it. All you can do is try.

Comment

I like the short e-mail idea. Leave it at that. He will or won't. Most people think I'm nuts doing this and raising turkey's and chickens. They don't want to think about their food choices and the poison in processed food and most non-pastured food. Even when you explain why they have to give antibiotics to cows, etc or that they feed turkeys arsenic to make them gain weight faster, they just don't want to hear the truth.

Comment

Explain it in a positive way, say that it is about eating more natural, unprocessed foods rather than saying it is about not eating all their favorite foods.
                              Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Working...
                              X