Comfortable Boots. Any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortable Boots. Any ideas?

I work for the Army and as such wear boots 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week. Frankly my feet hurt. At home I am barefoot. When off work I wear softstar bare foot shoes. When barefoot my feet do not hurt.

Does anyone know of a comfortable boot or a boot that might give that barefoot feel? We are required by regulation to wear boots with a 'thick rubber sole' so an actual minimalist boot seems to be out. They also need to be 8" high (the boot not the heel )

Thoughts?

Oh, I have tried boots by Bates, Magnum, Rocky, and most boots at Walmart/Big 5 sports, as well as others I can't recall.

I'm saving for a pair of these for the winter, oetzi3300 troop
    http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

do they have to be work boots? the most comfortable pair of non-minimalist shoes i own are a pair of leather hiking boots by timberland. you'll find plenty of sturdy boots with thick soles anywhere hiking footwear is sold, and they are usually really comfortable. far from minimalist, but perhaps fitting for the army's requirements
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
        I'm saving for a pair of these for the winter, oetzi3300 troop
        Man, those look great, but for the price I would have to try a pair on. Any idea on how durable they are?

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
          do they have to be work boots? the most comfortable pair of non-minimalist shoes i own are a pair of leather hiking boots by timberland. you'll find plenty of sturdy boots with thick soles anywhere hiking footwear is sold, and they are usually really comfortable. far from minimalist, but perhaps fitting for the army's requirements
          The hiking boots I have found around here do not meet the standards unfortunately. It is a good idea though and I will keep looking.

Comment

Here's a positive review
            oetzi3300 troop review
            http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
              The hiking boots I have found around here do not meet the standards unfortunately. It is a good idea though and I will keep looking.
              Thats going to be the tough part, finding a comfortable boot that will fit within the regulations. therefore, you might be looking at it the wrong way. You might want to look into a custom footbed or an orthotic rather than a whole new boot.

I know that when I was in (~15yrs ago) the most comfortable shoes I owned were my standard issue boots that I got in basic. Worked them so hard during basic and AIT that they were conformed to my feet like a second skin. Had a ton of polish in them so they took a shine very easily. However, I did need to make sure I had a good insole. I think i went with a pair of superfeet and it was like walking on clouds.

Comment

I have a pair of Wescos and a pair of Danner Quarrys.
                Wescos--expensive but can be rebuilt 3 times. Mine are 13 years old and still going.
                Danners are not as expensive, can be rebuilt as well.
                Probably not very barefootish, but they are the ones I know well.
                Superfeet in both.
                The guy that sold me my NB Minimus trail runners said I should ditch the SF insoles totally.
                Last edited by Blackbird; 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM. Reason: clarity
                "Wait! I'll fix it!"
                "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
                "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
                  Here's a positive review
                  oetzi3300 troop review
                  THese are sounding better and better. I will just have to see if the sole fits the reg. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wheelhouse View Post
                    I know that when I was in (~15yrs ago) the most comfortable shoes I owned were my standard issue boots that I got in basic. Worked them so hard during basic and AIT that they were conformed to my feet like a second skin. Had a ton of polish in them so they took a shine very easily.
                    Mine were the same way but when the army went to the suede boot they got disgarded in a move. Now I am back in black boots and kicking myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                      IThe guy that sold me my NB Minimus trail runners said I should ditch the SF insoles totally.
                      I might trying pulling the insoles out but the overall shape of many boots seems to be an issue. I understand the Army's desire for foot protection but I'm not downrange, trapsing through mountain passes. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out Wescos and Quarrys.

Comment

Do Doc Marten's meet spec? Those are actually the most comfortable boots I own, aside from my mukluks.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                          Do Doc Marten's meet spec? Those are actually the most comfortable boots I own, aside from my mukluks.
                          I agree. Back in the days of grunge, I wore them all over campus. Think it took 2-3 years for me to kill them.
                          Georgette

Comment

i must be the only person who finds doc marten's uncomfortable. I've had several pairs (i think they were all "air ware") and they all felt flat as a pancake. Like no support at all. Just uncomfortable. I had the boots & mary janes.

i wore them (years ago) just b/c i liked the way they looked.

I have a serious shoe problem that i thought i had reined in but apparently it's reared its ugly head again in the form of Lucchese boots (which won't work for the OP at all, which is too bad b/c they are seriously comfortable!)

Comment

Nike SFB?

How aout the Nike SFB?

They're built like Nike Free shoes - some rise, but very soft and flexy. They were made with military use in mind, so they might work for you.

bob

Comment

Working...
                              X